sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1114 users online including...
CurtisViday , PhoenixRising , Antoniotem

3 members
1111 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > Floo Network (Extra Fun) > The Book Seekers (Book Club) > Book of the Moment

Book of the Moment Join us to read and discuss the current and past books of the moment!

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 01-01-2020, 08:58 AM

Default 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Ann Shaffer (Sa13+) [SPOI

Welcome to The Book Seekers' Book of the Month for January 2020! Happy New Year! If you don't know what Book of the Month is, there's more information here but, in a nutshell, it is a monthly event during which we all read the same book and discuss it here. This discussion will be active until February 15th.

This month we're reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer!

Age Rating | Sa13+
Genre | Historical Fiction
Summary from Goodreads | "I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she's never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb...

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society's members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.

Written with warmth and humor as a series of letters, this novel is a celebration of the written word in all its guises and of finding connection in the most surprising ways.

Let's go over some ground rules...
  • All Book Club Rules and SnitchSeeker Board Rules apply in this forum.
  • You can discuss ANYTHING that is related to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society in here. However, it must be kept SPOILER FREE until at least January 15th. You can include spoiler-y content as long as it is under a spoiler tag. Remember that other people might not be as far along in the book as you.
    • Any posts that contain spoilers (that aren't under spoiler tags) will be edited by a Book Club mod.
  • This discussion will be active until February 15th. That being said, the thread will remain open for everyone to discuss the book after that time, too.

There's more? There is! While we're reading and discussing The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, there are other related things that you can get involved with.
  • Feeling inspired? Contribute some The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society fanart to our new Bookish Fan Art thread.
  • Submit The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society related posts to our Tumblr!

If you have issues or queries, contact Harron Peasley or natekka – and don't forget to nominate books for future Book of the Months!
Ready, Set, Read!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Gunnar McCarthy-Toussaint
Ecological Protection

x12 x5
Unforgivably Cursed | adultescent

So, I ended up liking it pretty well, even after I said I was getting bored with it lol. I ended up giving it 4 stars, did not love it enough to give it 5 (but I've said before I'm kind of selective with those). The letter format was interesting and I wasn't sure I'd like it the entire way through, but it ended up working alright for me. I think the letters were descriptive enough that the story was able to be told well.

I don't have any favorite quotes because I am almost never able to commit that type of thing to memory, especially reading the audio version... and idk that I really had any favorite characters? They were all charming in their own way but none exactly stood out to me.

A couple issues I had though - it felt to me like Juliet was so idealized, like everyone fell in love with her right after meeting her and she was just so wonderful. I get that she was the heroine of the story, the protagonist, but it felt like just a little much to me. (Of course, some of my favorite stories are anti-hero as protagonist, so I'm maybe not the most reliable judge here) Really the only person that seemed to have any issue with her was the one lady who wrote a couple times against the literary society (forget her name, sorry), and I REALLY wanted to hear a scathing response from Juliet lol.

Also! The ending... It seemed fairly obvious to me from an early point that Juliet and Dawsey were going to end up together. And tbh there was no build-up of that romance once she actually got to Guernsey, or at least that was how it felt to me, so when it was revealed at the end that they were together, I was just kind of like yeah okay but where was the build up to lead to that? Surely they had a developing relationship before they got engaged? There just seemed to be more to them BEFORE Juliet got to Guernsey than when she was actually there with him.

But overall, I did enjoy it. It was a pretty lovely story with a lot of charming characters.

______________________don't you worry I'll be fine
_________________________________________________you were good for the plot line
emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1
connoisseur of comfort ❅ Crayola's Wibby Mrs Alex Turner ❅ Netflix and meow

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. I've seen a lot of people describe it as charming and that pretty much sums it up. It's sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
A couple issues I had though - it felt to me like Juliet was so idealized, like everyone fell in love with her right after meeting her and she was just so wonderful. I get that she was the heroine of the story, the protagonist, but it felt like just a little much to me. (Of course, some of my favorite stories are anti-hero as protagonist, so I'm maybe not the most reliable judge here) Really the only person that seemed to have any issue with her was the one lady who wrote a couple times against the literary society (forget her name, sorry), and I REALLY wanted to hear a scathing response from Juliet lol.
This was one of my biggest gripes, tbh. Juliet was just a little too Mary Sue for my liking. Her personality was a bit one-dimensional and everyone fawning over her got a bit exhausting in the end.

As for the letters, it took me a while to get into the swing of it but the format did add to the overall charm. My main issue here was, remembering what character was writing the letter? Everyone had the same voice, the same style of writing and at times it was hard to distinguish who was who.

The setting being the occupation of the island during WWII is mostly what kept me wanting to read on. The tales of daily struggles but resilience of the residents were the highlights for me. I had to keep going because I wanted to know what happened to Elizabeth!

Also, this is a classic tale of 'don't judge a book by it's cover' because with a title like this I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day usually so thank you Book Seekers!

_____________Take part in our Higgledy Piggledy House Cup!
Waterloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

MLE & DERP
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sloane Aubrey Knott
Slytherin
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hooper Ridley-Rush
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jude Joel MacAfee
Law Enforcement

I’m not one who over analyses anything and I’ve never really been part of a book club before but here we go…

I did enjoy it but I just kind of felt it was lacking a little something. The ending wasn’t exactly a surprise but at the same time, I kind of found my self wanting that to happen so I guess I shouldn’t complain.
It did take me a while to get into the letter style format of things, having only read ‘The Perks of being a Wallflower’ which is a little similar to the letter style in that he writes in a diary so that didn’t throw me off too much when I eventually got into the book.

I really enjoyed learning about WWI and WWII in school so it really was that that kept my interest in this book because I’d honestly never considered what happened to the Chanel Islands in both wars because they don’t generally teach you about it in school. Maybe I’ll have to when this topic comes up in my class now?

I wouldn't have read this book though if it hadn't been for the book seekers though so I am glad I joined! I've already purchased next months book!
aRogueOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Dark Force Defense League

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

This is my first actual review/talk with the book club, I am so excited I finally forced myself to get time to read a book with all of you, well maybe not read since I listened to the audiobook, but you get my point.

The book:

I am so glad I did this with the audiobook and if you didn't I do recommend it, especially if the letters started to mesh together. The audio had different voices for each character and I think that helped me stay focused on who was who. I'm awful exact quotes because I can never remember that specific on things so I don't have a quote, but I just adored this book.

It had a Bridget Jones feel to me at first, I don't know why, but it was the first thing I thought of. I feel like sometimes you just need a light-hearted upbeat story and that is exactly what this was. Just a very cute, light story. It was pretty predictable that Juliet and Dawsey, but there were things that happened throughout that I guess I didn't expect so it helped.

Maybe it was listening to it or maybe it was just my take on the book but some characters I so wished there weren't letters to hear more of their backstory and thoughts. Like Dawsey, I wanted to know more about him or if it was an event in the letter I wish we could have read the actual playout of it not just what was in the letter. I really was said about Elizabeth. I was falling for that character as much as wanting to know more about her. I enjoy having one of the letters go against her and make her not the hero everyone else was. It made her more real that some didn't feel she did well. Her story with the German officer was a great twist as well.

Having WWII information really connected me to it. I like studying that war since my grandfather was part of it and I found myself thinking about where he was during the years they spoke of.

Overall, obviously you can already tell, I truly enjoyed this book and I'm so glad I got to participate.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

DMC & DMAC
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bennett Potter
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Atlas Ward
Ravenclaw
First Year
Toto * RotiSila * ToRo * Braveheart * Grandma & Mama Tori

<3

I'm with Ali, I think the audiobook really helped me to differentiate between who was writing the letters... the voices, accents etc helped.

In regards to everyone liking Juliet so quickly, I think that this was an issue because 90% of the book was written from her point of view? (especially when in regards to Guernsey itself). Part of me assumes that if we had seen letters early on from the others, or conversations etc that there would have been at least some sort of headbutting or arguments?

I love that Elizabeth found the best in a German soldier, saved her daughter, tried to help others and helped to save the boy -- and then went to Camp for said boy too. Even learning of the camp from Remy and finding out about the end of her life had me in tears.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

I think it's okay that not everyone LOVES the books we read, and I appreciate that people felt comfortable enough to share what they didn't like. It's exciting to me that we're having good conversation in here!

I really enjoy this book, and it was nice to re-read it. In my mind, the book started to re-shape like the movie, and I had forgotten that the 'what happened to Elizabeth' wasn't really the driving force of the book as it was in the movie. Elizabeth is easily one of my favorite characters, and I adore Isola. And Eben and Booker and even old Adelaide. Also I feel like Kit is my soul friend, the little weird baby. I get what's being said about Juliet being a little Mary Sue, but because she was the narrator (sort of), it felt to me that she was purposefully 'neutral' so we could experience the story through her.

One of the things I enjoy about this book is that the author really REALLY loved books and loved Guernsey. I appreciate that you can feel her love, because it makes Guernsey a living character in the story... and really, books are sort of a character too. They're the center of conversation and conviction through the book; it isn't hard to believe that there are books that can shine a light into the dark spots in people's lives and can build communities out of people who feel isolated.

As for the format, I love epistolary structure in stories. I'd love suggestions on other books written like this.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Cassirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:42 AM   #32 (permalink)

DMC & DMAC
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bennett Potter
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Atlas Ward
Ravenclaw
First Year

It isn't in letter form, but have you looked at "The Curious Incident of hte Dog in the Nighttime" ?? It's in a diary format and it blew my mind when I read it the first time through. The play is a work of art too.

Also, I agree that Guernsey and Books were characters in TGL&PPPS. It reminded me a little bit of when when authors use quotes from other books as chapter titles and you gleam some advance warning about what is coming. I love that
Old 01-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #33 (permalink)

MLE & DERP
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sloane Aubrey Knott
Slytherin
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hooper Ridley-Rush
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jude Joel MacAfee
Law Enforcement

I really did enjoy the book to be fair. Like a lot of you have said, the author’s fondness of Guernsey really adds to the book. I feel like it gives Juliet a little bit more authenticity and the twist with Elizabeth and the German soldier really was a nice little twist which kept me interested. One thing I did like about the letter style of this book is that we got to find out different people’s perspectives about some of the same incidents. Imagine if we had the Harry Potter books from Ron, Hermione or Dumbledore’s perspective? They might not be amazing but it would be interesting.
aRogueOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #34 (permalink)

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Dumbledore's Defense Squad | BHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
BanabatGirl- Your goodreads review was amazing and I just adored reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziella View Post
Roro: I loved your goodreads review! It's perfect and I wholeheartedly agree!
You guys are too sweet Thanks for reading it <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by natekka View Post
Hello, hello, hello! It's time to discuss The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society more, with any and ALL THE SPOILERS! So, if you haven't yet finished reading, you might want to avoid this thread until you have.

I want to start with a few simple questions:
Right, onto the discussion!
  1. What were your favourite quotes from this book, if you had any? I didn't have any! I thought this was not a super quotable book, because of the epistolary format. There wasn't really even a lot of "dialogue," persay.

2. What did you think of the format, with the novel being composed entirely of letters? What do letters offer that no other form of writing (not even emails) can convey? Yes! Usually when I see mixed genres in a book, it's just at the start, and then a traditional narration-dialogue-etc. format takes over. So at first, I kept reading and waiting for the actual book to start, and then finally realized... this was the whole book! But I enjoyed it.

3. And which of the members of the Society (or characters in general) was your favourite? I know Juliet definitely has those Mary Sue qualities, but I like her. She has a tempter, too, but it's justified. She really did remind me of a character from Little Women. I like Dawsey, even though I would have liked to hear from him more. And then, probably, the big brother/editor Sidney, and Isola. I like all of them. I also found some of their backstories hilarious, like I think it's Eben, who pretended to be the owner of the big house?

4. My only complaint is that the plot was not that... plotty. Elizabeth's outcome was predictable, I thought, but I wonder if I would have felt differently if I hadn't seen the movie first?

yeah, there's one thing about me that you should know________________________________

__________________________________________that I can't help from speaking my mind
BanaBatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

I'm wondering if Juliet comes off as a bit of a Mary Sue simply because most of the book is written from her perspective? So of course we hear mostly good things about her as most of the letters are written BY her or about her.

As for the villagers who were so eager to get to know her, I saw it less because she was a perfect person everyone wanted to know, but more because she was an author who was going to write about them. I figure if that happened in real life, EVERYONE would be wanting to get on that person's good side, right? To create better exposure? I do think they genuinely like her at the end but unlike say, Twilight, where Bella was just LOVED simply because she was new, I saw more motivation behind the islanders wanting to get to know her and possibly be featured in her book.

Isola ended up growing on me sooo much. Dawsey I loved right off the bat - and am I the only one who didn't see their romance coming? Maybe I've been reading too many apocalyptic science fiction novels where the love interest is obvious right away so I didn't see it coming this time around

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Lissy Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

DoM & DIMC

Bicorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jade Archer de Leon
Slytherin
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Olive Gracae-Ryans
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Clara Rider (née Wilde)
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Riley Archer de Leon
Mysteries
Little Fox | ½ of Lauralie | Ravenclaw with a Hufflepuff heart and a Gryffindor soul | #HouseNATARIANA

I'm away this weekend but I will reply to you all individually when I'm back <3

For now...
  1. Have you seen the film? If so, how do you think it compares? *still trying to figure out a watch party*
  2. Do you agree with Isola that “reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones”?
  3. What was the effect of reading a novel about an author’s experiences with writing, editing, and getting published? Did this enhance the book’s realism, though Juliet’s experience is a bit different from that of debut novelist Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, children’s book author Annie Barrows?
    Thank you again to ReadingGroupGuides for these questions lol
  4. AND do you have any questions about the book that you want to ask your fellow Book Seekers?

You are Honey!
natekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #37 (permalink)

DMC & DMAC
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bennett Potter
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Atlas Ward
Ravenclaw
First Year

I haven't seen the film nope. Well. That's a lie. I haven't seen the whole film... I watched about the first .... thirty/forty minutes then got distracted and I haven't gone back to it since we said we were going to read it, I wanted to do that before I went back to finish it.

It doesn't always work, but I try to read books before I watch their film/tv counterpart.

In regards to books, I can either get into them (and devour them) or I can't (and can't read it even if I try). I really really struggle to read a book I don't like... and I wish I could persevere but it doesn't seem to be something I can do >.> Though I love books I fall into.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #38 (permalink)

DERP & DMGS
Shrake

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jacoby Rivers
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Callista Rivers
Gryffindor
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nathaniel Flannagan
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Patrick Dooley
Ecological Protection
Stealthy Ninja Queen | Snake For Life | waddling baker | binge royalty ♚

1. What were your favourite quotes from this book, if you had any?
    “I can’t think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can’t talk to, or worse, someone I can’t be silent with.“
    I honestly hate when I can’t sit in comfortable silence with someone. I have some really good friends who I can just be in the same room doing my own thing and j love that.
  2. What did you think of the format, with the novel being composed entirely of letters? What do letters offer that no other form of writing (not even emails) can convey?
    It was rough. I think it allows you to see how a character sensors themselves because they’ll say one thing but try to make it not sound that bad. If that makes sense. While it’s nice to have that kind of perspective it is wayyy to hard for me to visualize what’s going on because it’s mostly characters talking about other characters so it’s not easy for me to visualize the setting, the characters, or anything like that.

3. And which of the members of the Society (or characters in general) was your favourite?
    I really liked Kit. She sounded like a true kid once Juliette got to the island and even in the letters you could see that she was one of the things that kept the islanders strong and pushing forward with their day to day lives.

However I do have to seriously agree with others Juliette was hard for me to get behind and like. I think it was because she just sounded whiny to me at first. Like it was oh bother a book, oh another tour why me. And it was very hard to like her there. Once I got to part two and it became more about the island characters I loved it so much more because it wasn’t a feel sorry for me moment.

I do also agree I wanted so much more of Dawsey.
  4. My only complaint
    The predictability. It was very predictable. I was kind of let down her suitor (mark) didn’t try harder. And the stealing of letters wasn’t that shocking if that makes sense.

As for the second set of questions....
  1. Have you seen the film? If so, how do you think it compares?
    I have not. I’m hoping that maybe I can take a study break (eep) and watch it this weekend.

2. Do you agree with Isola that “reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones”?
    Yes. I read every book from a couple authors and they’re such good deep dark books that sometimes after I read them I go read something similar and just can’t get past the beginning. It’s very hard.

3. What was the effect of reading a novel about an author’s experiences with writing, editing, and getting published? Did this enhance the book’s realism, though Juliet’s experience is a bit different from that of debut novelist Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, children’s book author Annie Barrows?
    I think it’s realistic. So many books about authors is so superficial with the process that you never see the rejection, or the writers block. I follow a lot of indie authors so I hear more of their struggles as they are 100% up front and honest about delays and such. But it was also hard at times because Juliette seemed so... whiny is the only word i can come up with about the issue.

4. AND do you have any questions about the book that you want to ask your fellow Book Seekers?
    If there was one thing you’d change. Just one thing what would it be and why?