sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 4301 users online including...
Ronaldsnut , ALCOWNVAL , Alexrut , Austinwals , JosephZib , ChinaCib , Stevendalo

8 members
4293 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmaster: Malachi Trent's Reign > Term 59: September - December 2021

Term 59: September - December 2021 Term Fifty-Nine: The Strange Plant in Greenhouse Six (Sept 2105 - June 2106)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Music Classroom

Upon entering this large classroom, it is very obvious what its purpose is. This room is dedicated to teaching Muggle and Wizard Music and is used by members of both the Frog Choir and Orchestra. Instrument cases of all shapes and sizes as well as rows of music stands with accompanying stools fill the inside of this room. In the front, a conductor's stand is positioned in between a polished black piano and a complete drum set.

For many at Hogwarts, students and adults alike, this is one of their favourite places inside the castle. At various hours throughout the day, wonderful music is made and you get to take a break from anything overly theoretical and hone your musical talents. Fortunately for those in Transfiguration or in other parts of the castle, your marvelous melodies cannot disturb them for the room is completely soundproof. So play as loud as you want! This space can also be reserved after scheduled class hours if you and your friends have formed a band and need somewhere appropriate to practice.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe Calypso [s]Dupont[/s]
Slytherin
Second Year
Default For Violet
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?

Despite her father's apparent hatred of music, he had insisted Ash play piano. She didn't know why. She didn't care why. She liked piano anyway. Father especially hated a specific musical artist, which was incidentally the one he made sure he knew how to play. It didn't make any sense. But then again, nobody in their family made sense. You just had to deal with their personalities. No mirrors near Ash. No art or music near Father unless he requested it. No throwing things near Megan Olivia. Brandon wanted the house to be perfectly clean at all times. Nobody allowed in Alex's room. No unnecessary yelling at Dustin. Charlie didn't like fighting. Etcetera. Her 'family' was weird.

At the moment, Ash was practicing a song she didn't often play, for reasons she didn't really get. She still knew it by heart somehow. The words and the notes. It was called... what was it called? Love Me Now. Hmm.

"...Girl, I don't need you
To tell me that you'll never leave, no
When we've done all that we could
To turn darkness into light, turn evil to good
Even when we try so hard
For that perfect kind of love, it could all fall apart..."

She stopped. She hadn't played it wrong... in fact she was playing it very well. Same with the singing. But she just couldn't continue somehow. Not until... something. Something something something.

She did the entire verse again from the beginning, better this time. Something inside us... to It could all fall apart... She tried it with just singing. She tried it with just playing the piano. It still didn't help.

Ash needed something.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Ashley! I'm here...

Violet didn't know why she had come up up all the way to the sixth floor to go to the Music Room. She wasn't really much of a musician, after all. Oh, she liked listening to it well enough, and she liked picking out lyrics, playing with the words, changing them around and seeing if she could create new ones out of the old. She'd been made to take piano lessons, as a good little girl from an old Pureblood family (even if she was only half a pureblood), but she was only an adequate and lackluster performer.

But as she opened the door, she heard the strains of what sounded like an old Muggle tune she's heard on the radio somewhere that year in New York. The voice that was singing it sounded wistful and longing, somehow...and then it abruptly broke off. Shaking off the spell of the music, Violet saw that it was Ashley Fox playing that music, and now she was sitting alone there with the most intense expression on her face.

Feeling like she was interrupting a very private moment, Violet suddenly wheeled around and started to leave, but in her hurry, she knocked over a nearby music stand, which fell clattering to the floor, the clashing sound echoing in what proved to be a very acoustical room.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

SPOILER!!: Violet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
Violet didn't know why she had come up up all the way to the sixth floor to go to the Music Room. She wasn't really much of a musician, after all. Oh, she liked listening to it well enough, and she liked picking out lyrics, playing with the words, changing them around and seeing if she could create new ones out of the old. She'd been made to take piano lessons, as a good little girl from an old Pureblood family (even if she was only half a pureblood), but she was only an adequate and lackluster performer.

But as she opened the door, she heard the strains of what sounded like an old Muggle tune she's heard on the radio somewhere that year in New York. The voice that was singing it sounded wistful and longing, somehow...and then it abruptly broke off. Shaking off the spell of the music, Violet saw that it was Ashley Fox playing that music, and now she was sitting alone there with the most intense expression on her face.

Feeling like she was interrupting a very private moment, Violet suddenly wheeled around and started to leave, but in her hurry, she knocked over a nearby music stand, which fell clattering to the floor, the clashing sound echoing in what proved to be a very acoustical room.

Ash was trying to play AND sing it again. Yes, it was still very good. No, it was not helping. She was halfway through when she stopped again. When we've done all that we could- She hadn't heard footsteps over the music, but she sure did hear the crash. She tilted her head. "You're not sneaking around very well." Of course the other person was sneaking around, or else they wouldn't be crashing into things. People made the most noise while they were trying to be sneaky. That was funny. Sort of. She turned around out of curiosity, because there was no voice attached to the crashing sound. "Hey Violet. What's up?" She gave the girl a halfhearted smile. She didn't feel much like smiling(not when she was being a FAILURE), but she didn't want Violet to think she didn't like her. Violet might decide to 'mutually' dislike her. For all she knew, Violet might already dislike her. But it didn't seem like it. So for the time being, she'd just assume they were friends. "Did you hurt yourself when you tripped?"
Old 09-14-2021, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
"You're not sneaking around very well." Of course the other person was sneaking around, or else they wouldn't be crashing into things. People made the most noise while they were trying to be sneaky. That was funny. Sort of. She turned around out of curiosity, because there was no voice attached to the crashing sound. "Hey Violet. What's up?" She gave the girl a halfhearted smile. She didn't feel much like smiling(not when she was being a FAILURE), but she didn't want Violet to think she didn't like her. Violet might decide to 'mutually' dislike her. For all she knew, Violet might already dislike her. But it didn't seem like it. So for the time being, she'd just assume they were friends. "Did you hurt yourself when you tripped?"
Brilliant, Blackthorne, graceful as always, Violet thought to herself. Oh well, it wasn't as if she didn't have a right to be here, too, despite some people's remarks about 'sneaking.'

"Sorry, I was trying not to bother you. I didn't know anyone was in here," Violet replied, turning around and bending to return the music stand to its place. "That was...you play really well. Like you mean it. I wish I could play like that, but I'm just...adequate," Violet continued, remembering how her grandfather sounded when he remarked on her musical ability. "Actually, I was thinking I had heard that song before." Violet paused just a tiny bit before asking the next question--ever since the Neo-Alliance, mentioning anything to do with either Muggles or Purebloods seemed full of potential danger. "Is that...isn't it a Muggle tune? I thought I heard it on the radio once."
Old 09-14-2021, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
Brilliant, Blackthorne, graceful as always, Violet thought to herself. Oh well, it wasn't as if she didn't have a right to be here, too, despite some people's remarks about 'sneaking.'

"Sorry, I was trying not to bother you. I didn't know anyone was in here," Violet replied, turning around and bending to return the music stand to its place. "That was...you play really well. Like you mean it. I wish I could play like that, but I'm just...adequate," Violet continued, remembering how her grandfather sounded when he remarked on her musical ability. "Actually, I was thinking I had heard that song before." Violet paused just a tiny bit before asking the next question--ever since the Neo-Alliance, mentioning anything to do with either Muggles or Purebloods seemed full of potential danger. "Is that...isn't it a Muggle tune? I thought I heard it on the radio once."

"It's alright. I don't own this place or anything." Although she could certainly afford to. "Sneak around all you want... just try not to trip and die." Honestly, Ash would be sad if Violet died. More than a little bit. She would possibly be very sad, maybe. Maybe. She tugged at her bracelets. "I always mean it," she said softly. She never worried about saying things she didn't mean. She worried about saying things that she really did mean, because then she wouldn't be able to take it back or apologize if she meant it. But that wasn't really important to this conversation.

"It is a muggle song." She smiled, impressed that Violet knew that. "It's practically ancient. The only reason I know of the artist is because of my mother." This guy was her favorite musical artist. And therefore music that Ash had to learn.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"It's alright. I don't own this place or anything." Although she could certainly afford to. [B]"Sneak around all you want... just try not to trip and die."
"I'm not sneaking!" Violet began, then checked her momentary burst of exasperation. Ashley just said things like that sometimes, and Violet was trying to do better at getting to know people, so getting upset over nothing was not going to be useful.

Quote:
"It is a muggle song." She smiled, impressed that Violet knew that. "It's practically ancient. The only reason I know of the artist is because of my mother." This guy was her favorite musical artist. And therefore music that Ash had to learn.
Violet took that in, thinking of her own mother, the one she'd never met, the one she didn't know if she was alive or dead (but probably dead, if Violet was honest; otherwise she would have tried to find her by now...wouldn't she?) "Was that your mother's favorite song, then? Did she teach it to you?" she said, trying to think of something to say that didn't sound too stupid.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
"I'm not sneaking!" Violet began, then checked her momentary burst of exasperation. Ashley just said things like that sometimes, and Violet was trying to do better at getting to know people, so getting upset over nothing was not going to be useful.

Violet took that in, thinking of her own mother, the one she'd never met, the one she didn't know if she was alive or dead (but probably dead, if Violet was honest; otherwise she would have tried to find her by now...wouldn't she?) "Was that your mother's favorite song, then? Did she teach it to you?" she said, trying to think of something to say that didn't sound too stupid.

Ash smiled. “Chill out mate. I know you aren’t sneaking. You’re silently walking around and trying to avoid notice.” And then she was comedically tripping over things, like the villain in a spy movie. Nope, that wasn’t sneaking. Not at all. There was a DIFFERENCE. She smiled wider. “If you were sneaking around, which you aren’t, I wouldn’t mind.” Violet was chill, not annoying. And she was kinda cute when she was exasperated(what a wonderful word).

“No, my first Mother has been dead for like, a million years. She couldn’t have taught it to me” It was actually like 13, but that was basically Ash’s entire life. “Her favorite song was Hold on Longer.” She played a few lines.

“Out of breath, underwater
Girl you can hold on longer.”

She shrugged. “It went like that. Father made me learn all the songs. Dunno why. She’s dead.” She liked the music, but other than that, why did it matter? Why did he make her paint and play piano when he seemingly hated art and music? It wasn’t just to turn her into a ‘proper young lady’, she could feel it. There was something else. But she didn’t know what it was. So.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

If I had really been sneaking around, you wouldn't have heard me, Violet thought to herself. Then she sobered as Ashley went on. Well, that was stupid, Violet, asking someone about their mother when their mother is dead. Great conversational move.

"I'm...I'm sorry, I didn't know. About your mother, I mean." Violet found herself going on--she didn't usually talk a lot about her private life to everyone, but she felt she ought to offer something personal since Ashley was being so open. "My mother is...well, I don't even know if she's still alive or not. I haven't seen her since I was about five or six. It's kind of hard, not having one. But I did have Miss Howard--she was my governess. She never taught me any cool songs, though--mostly history and potions and runes and stuff."
Old 09-16-2021, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
If I had really been sneaking around, you wouldn't have heard me, Violet thought to herself. Then she sobered as Ashley went on. Well, that was stupid, Violet, asking someone about their mother when their mother is dead. Great conversational move.

"I'm...I'm sorry, I didn't know. About your mother, I mean." Violet found herself going on--she didn't usually talk a lot about her private life to everyone, but she felt she ought to offer something personal since Ashley was being so open. "My mother is...well, I don't even know if she's still alive or not. I haven't seen her since I was about five or six. It's kind of hard, not having one. But I did have Miss Howard--she was my governess. She never taught me any cool songs, though--mostly history and potions and runes and stuff."

Counterpoint: if she WASN'T sneaking around, then how come she tripped over the music stand??? Everyone knew that people only comedically tripped when they were sneaking around. Had Violet ever seen a movie?

Ash shrugged. "It doesn't matter. I didn't really know her. So it's not very sad for me, except for sometimes I wish I had a mother. But here I have Amabel! She's a mom friend... and at home I have Dustin and Alex. I think of them as one person sometimes, but together they kind of act like if a really good mom was transfigured into two guys who you pay to be your bodyguards." Did that make Violet feel better? She grinned reassuringly, although it probably came out more eerily than she had intended. She never could make her smiles look right. When she was faking it, they ended up as grimaces, and she didn't genuinely smile nearly enough... although when she did smile, it was often at the wrong moments. So. That was a pretty good representation of her personality. But... she tried, okay? She always tried to be a better person and make people feel better. She was just bad at it.

"Oh." It was a sympathetic oh. The two of them were funny, weren't they? Each one convinced that the other one was suffering more. "Did you like Miss Howard?"
Old 09-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

"Yes, I did, very much" replied Violet. Like Miss Howard, she meant. "I used to think she was the only person in the house who liked me at all, but since that battle here with the Neo-Alliance, I've come to realize that my grandfather and my uncles really do care about me, too." Most of her uncles, that is. She now wasn't too sure about Uncle Hamlet.

"I actually got Miss Howard fired," Violet went on, "because I ran away from home during what should have been my second year at school and went off to find my father. That's how I learned a little about Muggle life." And also how she learned more than she wanted to know about her father. Oh well.

"Miss Howard's really, really brilliant, though, and she got a job at the Ministry of Magic, which is probably more interesting for her than governessing me. But we're friends now, and my family lets me write her and see her sometimes, now that they've gotten over being mad at her for letting me run away. Which was their fault anyway, not hers. Well, actually I guess it was mine, but I was only twelve, so what did I know?"

Violet thought a minute about this and then remembered something Ashley had just said. "Why...why do you have...did you say bodyguards?"
Old 09-18-2021, 11:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
"Yes, I did, very much" replied Violet. Like Miss Howard, she meant. "I used to think she was the only person in the house who liked me at all, but since that battle here with the Neo-Alliance, I've come to realize that my grandfather and my uncles really do care about me, too." Most of her uncles, that is. She now wasn't too sure about Uncle Hamlet.

"I actually got Miss Howard fired," Violet went on, "because I ran away from home during what should have been my second year at school and went off to find my father. That's how I learned a little about Muggle life." And also how she learned more than she wanted to know about her father. Oh well.

"Miss Howard's really, really brilliant, though, and she got a job at the Ministry of Magic, which is probably more interesting for her than governessing me. But we're friends now, and my family lets me write her and see her sometimes, now that they've gotten over being mad at her for letting me run away. Which was their fault anyway, not hers. Well, actually I guess it was mine, but I was only twelve, so what did I know?"

Violet thought a minute about this and then remembered something Ashley had just said. "Why...why do you have...did you say bodyguards?"

"Oh." That was sort of sad, wasn't it? Ash couldn't imagine being without Dustin and Alex. It was much more painful to think about than not having parents. Unless Dustin and Alex counted as her parents, which was possible. They sure felt like they were her parents. "I know what you mean, about feeling like nobody likes you. In your family." But also at school.

"She got fired just because you ran away?" OMG. WAS FATHER GOING TO FIRE DUSTIN AND ALEX??? He better not!!! But then again, he probably didn't care if she ran away, as long as she came back without making it into the paper. So. That was that.

Ash was thinking about completely different things by the time Violet asked her next question, and it took her a second to refocus. "What? Oh yeah, bodyguards. Uhhh, their job is to protect me, but they somehow end up cooking my dinners a lot. Don't worry, I pay them triple because they have to put up with me and do annoying things like reading me bedtime stories. I'm pretty sure that's not in their job description." What were they taking about? Why she had bodyguards? Violet should know by now that asking why was never a good idea with Ashley. All the answers were just going to be vague, nonsensical, horrifying, or untrue. "Because my father is important." She considered bringing Violet a muggle tabloid to show her her family, but then she decided against it. It was like showing someone a photo album with rude commentary. No thanks. "They remind me of parents."
Old 09-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:

"She got fired just because you ran away?"
"I know, right?!" Violet blurted out, glad to be telling this to someone else who finally seemed to understand the injustice of it all. "And even after she went and found me and brought me back!"It still made Violet mad sometimes. And guilty. "But her new job sounds a lot better, and I guess, now that I'm at Hogwarts, there really wasn't much more for her to do there. And now we're, like friends." Having a grown-up friend made Violet feel very grown-up. Which, since she had just turned seventeen this month, she supposed she was.

Quote:
"What? Oh yeah, bodyguards. Uhhh, their job is to protect me, but they somehow end up cooking my dinners a lot. Don't worry, I pay them triple because they have to put up with me and do annoying things like reading me bedtime stories. I'm pretty sure that's not in their job description.....Because my father is important." She considered bringing Violet a muggle tabloid to show her her family, but then she decided against it. It was like showing someone a photo album with rude commentary. No thanks. "They remind me of parents."
Violet tried to take all this in for a minute--in a way, they almost sounded like human House-Elves, but also like friends. They were sort of like Miss Howard had been for her, Violet decided. So--Muggles who were important had bodyguards to protect their children...Violet's grandfather was important, in the Wizarding world, but besides Miss Howard, he did most of the protecting himself, along with her uncles. Since their idea of protecting was to keep Violet around the house as much as possible, Violet thought that bodyguards sounded like a much better option.

But she got the idea that Ashley didn't want to talk about that any further. That was the trouble with trying to get to know someone like Ashley Fox, who didn't like to reveal a lot about herself. Well...maybe instead of personal history, they could talk about some other things Violet had been thinking a lot about over the summer.

"The past few years have been pretty wild, haven't they? I mean, stolen gold and vengeful ghosts and the Neo-Alliance takeover and that so-called Healer Poppy. Do you think there's ever a normal year at this school? It almost seems like that many things couldn't possibly go wrong without someone planning it."
Old 09-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
"I know, right?!" Violet blurted out, glad to be telling this to someone else who finally seemed to understand the injustice of it all. "And even after she went and found me and brought me back!"It still made Violet mad sometimes. And guilty. "But her new job sounds a lot better, and I guess, now that I'm at Hogwarts, there really wasn't much more for her to do there. And now we're, like friends." Having a grown-up friend made Violet feel very grown-up. Which, since she had just turned seventeen this month, she supposed she was.

Violet tried to take all this in for a minute--in a way, they almost sounded like human House-Elves, but also like friends. They were sort of like Miss Howard had been for her, Violet decided. So--Muggles who were important had bodyguards to protect their children...Violet's grandfather was important, in the Wizarding world, but besides Miss Howard, he did most of the protecting himself, along with her uncles. Since their idea of protecting was to keep Violet around the house as much as possible, Violet thought that bodyguards sounded like a much better option.

But she got the idea that Ashley didn't want to talk about that any further. That was the trouble with trying to get to know someone like Ashley Fox, who didn't like to reveal a lot about herself. Well...maybe instead of personal history, they could talk about some other things Violet had been thinking a lot about over the summer.

"The past few years have been pretty wild, haven't they? I mean, stolen gold and vengeful ghosts and the Neo-Alliance takeover and that so-called Healer Poppy. Do you think there's ever a normal year at this school? It almost seems like that many things couldn't possibly go wrong without someone planning it."

??? Well that was confusing and Ash was outraged on Miss Howards behalf... but she shut down her train of thought because it was Violet's problem and it was in the past and... yeah. She could get scary when she was angry and Violet didn't need to see that, especially when the problem had already been resolved. But still... "Hmph." There. That was all she needed to say on that. "It's good that you still talk." Okay, there. She was done. Finally.

Ash laughed. "I don't think there'll ever be a normal year here. But I don't care. I just want a good year. Whatever- I don't care if Hogwarts turns into a bouncy castle or if everyone starts being nice to me or if they decide to teach calculus here. Those things would be weird, but I wouldn't mind." Weird things weren't bad... bad things were bad. Hogwarts was weird and bad. Give her a good year for once, where there was no drama and adorable cats ran around and Kinsay James smiled when they passed each other. That would be super weird. But it would also be good.

"Maybe it is planned. By the board of governors. Or by the universe. Or my father! Or by someone else really mean." It was worth thinking about. Truly.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:

...She could get scary when she was angry and Violet didn't need to see that, especially when the problem had already been resolved. But still...
Ash laughed. "I don't think there'll ever be a normal year here. But I don't care. I just want a good year. Whatever- I don't care if Hogwarts turns into a bouncy castle or if everyone starts being nice to me or if they decide to teach calculus here. Those things would be weird, but I wouldn't mind." Weird things weren't bad... bad things were bad. Hogwarts was weird and bad. Give her a good year for once, where there was no drama and adorable cats ran around and Kinsay James smiled when they passed each other. That would be super weird. But it would also be good.

"Maybe it is planned. By the board of governors. Or by the universe. Or my father! Or by someone else really mean." It was worth thinking about. Truly.
Violet was also becoming pretty scary when she was mad, only no one in her family had dared tell her so far. So it was just as well she and Ashley didn't become mad at the same time.

Listening to Ashley, Violet felt that a "good" year was too much to be hoped for; she would settle for a "not very dangerous year." But she grasped onto the other girl's last statement. "I'm starting to think it is planned, by someone. I mean, think of it--this many things couldn't possibly go wrong just by accident. I've been keeping track in my journal, and someday, I'm going to figure it out. In the meantime, though..." Violet paused and looked down for a minute, because she was a little shy about this and wasn't sure she wanted to share it with anyone yet. But still...since she and Ashley were talking so openly just now... "In the meantime, I've been thinking of trying to write a story. Not a newspaper story or anything, a short story, fiction, but using the castle as the setting and the events of the year the Neo-Alliance tried to take over as the background. It would mostly be about two friends and how everything affected them, but, you know, I could slip in some facts here and there. Because I think people ought to know these things, and they don't seem to want to talk about anything uncomfortable unless you sugar-coat it."

Violet had been thinking about this for a few months now. She'd decided that she was old enough to go beyond just writing down descriptions and observations and try to put things together into a real story. And then try to sell it. Because if she was really serious about being a writer, then she needed to get on with it. Even if she was a little afraid that she would find out she was no good at it.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
Violet was also becoming pretty scary when she was mad, only no one in her family had dared tell her so far. So it was just as well she and Ashley didn't become mad at the same time.

Listening to Ashley, Violet felt that a "good" year was too much to be hoped for; she would settle for a "not very dangerous year." But she grasped onto the other girl's last statement. "I'm starting to think it is planned, by someone. I mean, think of it--this many things couldn't possibly go wrong just by accident. I've been keeping track in my journal, and someday, I'm going to figure it out. In the meantime, though..." Violet paused and looked down for a minute, because she was a little shy about this and wasn't sure she wanted to share it with anyone yet. But still...since she and Ashley were talking so openly just now... "In the meantime, I've been thinking of trying to write a story. Not a newspaper story or anything, a short story, fiction, but using the castle as the setting and the events of the year the Neo-Alliance tried to take over as the background. It would mostly be about two friends and how everything affected them, but, you know, I could slip in some facts here and there. Because I think people ought to know these things, and they don't seem to want to talk about anything uncomfortable unless you sugar-coat it."

Violet had been thinking about this for a few months now. She'd decided that she was old enough to go beyond just writing down descriptions and observations and try to put things together into a real story. And then try to sell it. Because if she was really serious about being a writer, then she needed to get on with it. Even if she was a little afraid that she would find out she was no good at it.

"I mean, it might be a combination of terrible leadership, corrupt leadership, and the universe just being a hater and wanting us all to be sad." The universe decided to invent Rosier, and then nobody in the government had noticed or done anything about it for a whole year. Sure, not everyone was terrible and/or incompetent, but enough of them were that a whole school got traumatized forever. Ash did not exactly see very many apologies happening. Not to her. Not from the right people.

Which was part of why she wanted to be a writer when she grew up. Writers didn't let things fade from existence. It was true! Anthropologists knew tons about ancient societies from their written languages. If she could just write down what happened, then maybe... maybe... maybe it wouldn't be forgotten.

It looked like Violet was already getting started on stuff like that.

"Can you make one of the friends a pureblood, and one a muggleborn?" Ash wasn't sure why she wanted that. She also wanted the characters to bond over their love of the outdoors and flowers, but that sounded stupid so she didn't bother to bring it up at all. Even though it was a totally great idea. "Maybe the pureblood keeps looking for their friend, but they can't find them cause their friend got sent to the room and starts refusing to talk to them. Or something. I don't know. Maybe." Or not. Really, whatever Violet wanted was fine. Since it was her story and all. "Can I read your story, when you're done with it?" She didn't care if she was the second person to read it or the hundredth. A story was a story. It sounded like a good story.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"I mean, it might be a combination of terrible leadership, corrupt leadership, and the universe just being a hater and wanting us all to be sad."
"Or, maybe there's someone out there, in the Ministry or somewhere, trying to test us all for some reason," Violet added. But that was stupid--who'd want to take that much trouble over a bunch of kids. "I still think those Neo-Alliance people were idiots, taking all that trouble to capture a bunch of kids. And look where that got them." Still, Violet had been happier before she'd known there was so much evil in the world. That year had made her father's petty schemes look like children's games.

Quote:

Which was part of why she wanted to be a writer when she grew up. Writers didn't let things fade from existence....

"Can you make one of the friends a pureblood, and one a muggleborn?" Ash wasn't sure why she wanted that. She also wanted the characters to bond over their love of the outdoors and flowers, but that sounded stupid so she didn't bother to bring it up at all. Even though it was a totally great idea. "Maybe the pureblood keeps looking for their friend, but they can't find them cause their friend got sent to the room and starts refusing to talk to them. Or something. I don't know. Maybe." Or not. Really, whatever Violet wanted was fine. Since it was her story and all. "Can I read your story, when you're done with it?" She didn't care if she was the second person to read it or the hundredth. A story was a story. It sounded like a good story.
If Violet had known that Ashley wanted to be a writer, too, she would have become ecstatic. Which would probably have caused her to show some embarrassing and uncharacteristic emotions, so it was probably just as well that she didn't.

"Yes, yes, that's good!" Violet replied, getting excited talking about writing with someone who didn't act like it was stupid kid stuff (yes, Uncle Horatio, Violet is thinking of you!). "I'd thought of making one of them Half-Blood and one Muggleborn, but...Pureblood is better. Adds more conflict." Actually, Violet was thinking somewhat darker than Ashley's idea, maybe having the Pureblood friend join the Alliance for a while, until they realized how evil they were, and then trying to save their friend. But...maybe the friendship would never be the same? Violet was still not through thinking this through, and this last thought depressed her.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
"Or, maybe there's someone out there, in the Ministry or somewhere, trying to test us all for some reason," Violet added. But that was stupid--who'd want to take that much trouble over a bunch of kids. "I still think those Neo-Alliance people were idiots, taking all that trouble to capture a bunch of kids. And look where that got them." Still, Violet had been happier before she'd known there was so much evil in the world. That year had made her father's petty schemes look like children's games.

If Violet had known that Ashley wanted to be a writer, too, she would have become ecstatic. Which would probably have caused her to show some embarrassing and uncharacteristic emotions, so it was probably just as well that she didn't.

"Yes, yes, that's good!" Violet replied, getting excited talking about writing with someone who didn't act like it was stupid kid stuff (yes, Uncle Horatio, Violet is thinking of you!). "I'd thought of making one of them Half-Blood and one Muggleborn, but...Pureblood is better. Adds more conflict." Actually, Violet was thinking somewhat darker than Ashley's idea, maybe having the Pureblood friend join the Alliance for a while, until they realized how evil they were, and then trying to save their friend. But...maybe the friendship would never be the same? Violet was still not through thinking this through, and this last thought depressed her.

”Well, I can’t fight the Universe. But if you’re right and all of this is caused by one person, I will personally go over there and disintegrate them somehow.” Because yeah, torture was uncool(read: despicable and evil), and if one person was doing that to ‘test’ them... yeah.

Ash tapped her fingers on the top of the piano as Violet spoke. “What kind of ending do you want? Are you aiming for ‘everything is alright when there are no evil cults and pureblood supremacists’, or are you aiming for ‘everything sucks when pureblood supremacists are involved?’ There’s a pretty big difference.” And if Violet was going for the latter, maybe it would be better if the friendship was never the same. Although the pureblood didn’t need to join the cult for that to happen. People hated each other for much less extreme things.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
”Well, I can’t fight the Universe. But if you’re right and all of this is caused by one person, I will personally go over there and disintegrate them somehow.”

Ash tapped her fingers on the top of the piano as Violet spoke. “What kind of ending do you want? Are you aiming for ‘everything is alright when there are no evil cults and pureblood supremacists’, or are you aiming for ‘everything sucks when pureblood supremacists are involved?’ There’s a pretty big difference.” And if Violet was going for the latter, maybe it would be better if the friendship was never the same. Although the pureblood didn’t need to join the cult for that to happen. People hated each other for much less extreme things.
Violet was actually still working on the ending and wasn't sure where she was going with it. Which would probably be a good thing for her to figure out, so she was glad Ashley brought it up. "Well, I'm still thinking about where to go with it, I guess. But mainly, I just want to try to show that...when things like this happen, they don't just go away once you defeat the bad guys. Like the way the Board of Governors acted, sending that Healer Poppy here. Acting like it could all just go away with one group therapy session and a little bread." Violet paused again, wondering if there was some way she could work Healer Poppy into her story and have something horrid happen to her. Then she decided that was probably too much for one story.

"But thanks for talking to me about it. You've given me a lot of things to think about. I guess sometimes I just start writing without figuring out what I want to do with it or where I'm going. Speaking of writing, have you ever tried to write your own songs?"
Old 10-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
Violet was actually still working on the ending and wasn't sure where she was going with it. Which would probably be a good thing for her to figure out, so she was glad Ashley brought it up. "Well, I'm still thinking about where to go with it, I guess. But mainly, I just want to try to show that...when things like this happen, they don't just go away once you defeat the bad guys. Like the way the Board of Governors acted, sending that Healer Poppy here. Acting like it could all just go away with one group therapy session and a little bread." Violet paused again, wondering if there was some way she could work Healer Poppy into her story and have something horrid happen to her. Then she decided that was probably too much for one story.

"But thanks for talking to me about it. You've given me a lot of things to think about. I guess sometimes I just start writing without figuring out what I want to do with it or where I'm going. Speaking of writing, have you ever tried to write your own songs?"

Ash thought deeply about what Violet way saying, closing her eyes and playing a few bars of classical music. It was unclear why that would be in any way helpful, but when she opened her eyes, she had a response. "That's an important message. Healer Poppy made me really angry. Brushing things under the rug doesn't mean they never happened, and acknowledging problems is only the first step. Even when you think you've recovered, or fixed a situation, that doesn't mean it will be that same as it was before. I'd say that's why an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." She paused for a few moments, then continued softly. "I know all about that." It was true. She did.

And some things didn't even HAVE a cure. So.

"Um, I've never tried to write songs, specifically. But I've covered songs and done parodies before, and I've written poetry just for myself. I've been told that it's good." All of it. She shrugged. Maybe it was. That didn't mean she had to share. "Most of the things I create are just for me to understand myself, except for the occasional artwork that I give someone for their birthday. I find it therapeutic." Yeah. Therapeutic and special and just for her. Maybe Violet could see some if she liked, or maybe she couldn't. Ash wasn't sure if she was allowed to or not. Which was funny, because Ash was the one deciding what was allowed.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"That's an important message. Healer Poppy made me really angry. Brushing things under the rug doesn't mean they never happened, and acknowledging problems is only the first step. Even when you think you've recovered, or fixed a situation, that doesn't mean it will be that same as it was before. I'd say that's why an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
"Miss Howard used to say bad things happening were like throwing a stone in a lake of water. At first it makes a lot of ripples, and then they gradually grow less and less until the lake is calm again. But the lake isn't the same, because the stone is still down there. It's part of the lake now." Violet thought about Miss Howard and how she missed her and was worried about her, even though she was out of hospital now. She made a promise to herself to go and see her when school was out. Whether it was permitted or not.

Quote:
"Um, I've never tried to write songs, specifically. But I've covered songs and done parodies before, and I've written poetry just for myself. I've been told that it's good." All of it. She shrugged. Maybe it was. That didn't mean she had to share. "Most of the things I create are just for me to understand myself, except for the occasional artwork that I give someone for their birthday. I find it therapeutic."
Violet thought about that for a few minutes. Yes, she supposed that writing was therapeutic for her as well. But she knew she couldn't be content just to do it privately--she wanted to get published some day! Maybe it was because she was a Slytherin. But it had been her ambition to become a published author ever since she was old enough to read.

"Well, once I get this story finished, you can read it. Before I start sending it off to publishers." Actually, Violet had read that it was good to get feedback from a few trusted people before you were really finished with a manuscript. Maybe she could get Miss Howard to read it, too.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

Quote:
"Miss Howard used to say bad things happening were like throwing a stone in a lake of water. At first it makes a lot of ripples, and then they gradually grow less and less until the lake is calm again. But the lake isn't the same, because the stone is still down there. It's part of the lake now." Violet thought about Miss Howard and how she missed her and was worried about her, even though she was out of hospital now. She made a promise to herself to go and see her when school was out. Whether it was permitted or not.

Violet thought about that for a few minutes. Yes, she supposed that writing was therapeutic for her as well. But she knew she couldn't be content just to do it privately--she wanted to get published some day! Maybe it was because she was a Slytherin. But it had been her ambition to become a published author ever since she was old enough to read.

"Well, once I get this story finished, you can read it. Before I start sending it off to publishers." Actually, Violet had read that it was good to get feedback from a few trusted people before you were really finished with a manuscript. Maybe she could get Miss Howard to read it, too.

Ash considered. “Rocks can build up little by little. If you dump enough dirt and sand in a lake, it won’t necessarily be a lake anymore.” Did she have an explanation of where that fit into real life? No... yes... maybe? It was confusing. So she’d just stay quiet and let Violet think about that for herself.

Ash grinned. Violet was the best, possibly the best ever, and even though she was a little bit strange and very formal, she was cool and more importantly... maybe she could read one of Violet’s stories. “I’d be honored.” And she might even secretly cry, assuming she had figured out that you could cry at good things too. She hadn’t had any good things to cry about yet... but she’d probably have some when she lived to be an adult.

Anyway, Violet had basically admitted to wanting to be her best friend and Ash was gonna smile about it all day. Nobody could stop her... ok well they could easily ruin her day... but they weren’t going to! She hoped.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:03 AM   #23 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Violet looked puzzled as Ash went on about the lake and rocks--maybe metaphor wasn't her forte. But, Violet felt quite satisfied with this encounter--she seemed to have managed to make a friend, finally, and had an entire conversation without flubbing it up too badly. Only...now she was going to have to really finish that story, because she'd promised Ashley she could read it. And O.W.L.S. were coming up! Well, Violet hadn't said exactly when Ashley could read it--maybe she would have time over the summer break to write this thing.

But for now..."Well, I sort of have to go now. My pet magpie, Mack, has been missing from the sanctuary every time I've gone down to check on him for the past week or so, so I need to go look for him, before he gets into trouble." Before he got Violet into trouble, she meant. "I guess I'd better let you get back to your song. Talk to you later."

As Violet turned around to go, she was so preoccupied with thoughts of her friend and her magpie that she once more ran into a music stand and sent it crashing to the floor. Blushing slightly, she righted it, looking sheepishly back over her shoulder at Ashley.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Slytherin
Second Year

SPOILER!!: friend
Quote:
Violet looked puzzled as Ash went on about the lake and rocks--maybe metaphor wasn't her forte. But, Violet felt quite satisfied with this encounter--she seemed to have managed to make a friend, finally, and had an entire conversation without flubbing it up too badly. Only...now she was going to have to really finish that story, because she'd promised Ashley she could read it. And O.W.L.S. were coming up! Well, Violet hadn't said exactly when Ashley could read it--maybe she would have time over the summer break to write this thing.

But for now..."Well, I sort of have to go now. My pet magpie, Mack, has been missing from the sanctuary every time I've gone down to check on him for the past week or so, so I need to go look for him, before he gets into trouble." Before he got Violet into trouble, she meant. "I guess I'd better let you get back to your song. Talk to you later."

As Violet turned around to go, she was so preoccupied with thoughts of her friend and her magpie that she once more ran into a music stand and sent it crashing to the floor. Blushing slightly, she righted it, looking sheepishly back over her shoulder at Ashley.

Ash was thinking. Rocks. Lake. Writing stories. Sharing stories! Friendship! Violet! War. Misery. Suffering. Violet! Music... Violet... War... Music...

"Hm? Oh... of course. Good luck finding him." Not being able to find people or pets really sucked! Especially if they were named Ashley and missing for a period of several months from march to may... anyway. Good luck finding Mack. She turned back to the piano to play another song, and...

burst into laughter. Ash grinned and looked over her shoulder. "See you later, Violet. Try not to trip on the way to the barns."

Had she... gotten closer to someone and told them her real opinions without scaring them away?

Weird.