View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Emileyn
Gryffindor
I Nailed Wormtail
Love Hunter Extraordinaire
Mooncalf

Default The Overprotective Brother <3
♥ 2G FC| Narnian!| Fremione|Full Sail Girl ♥| Dramione| Shadowhunter!| Jesse ♥

New post

Classes were almost the same. Except that Ruthie didn’t talk to anyone anymore. She ignored Leslie and her cousins and focused on her homework alone. Quidditch tryouts were approaching and she would be taking up her previous position as Beater. She already told James that she’d help him with the tryouts, but she wasn’t sure how it was going to happen because they weren’t on speaking terms at the moment; she put that to the back of her head. She wanted to practice before tryouts though so she wouldn’t look rusty. She would have liked to practice with James, but that wasn’t going to happen. Instead, she practiced with Nick, which was annoying. He hardly ever shut up, so they really didn’t get a lot done.

During lunch on the following Friday, Ruthie sat beneath her parents’ tree, writing her Charms essay. She felt someone sit beside her, but she didn’t look up. She was on a roll with her essay and she knew that if she looked up now, she would forget what she was going to say. The person beside her didn’t seem to mind; they just sat quietly, waiting for her to finish.

Ruthie finally put her quill down fifteen minutes later and looked over at the mystery person. Her breath caught for just a minute, before she grinned widely.

“What are you doing here, Teddy?” Ruthie asked in shocked surprise.

“I, er, got a disturbing letter from a certain cousin… She thinks you could use someone to talk to and thought I was the best for the job,” he shrugged.

“I’m glad you’re here! How’s Vic?” she asked.

“She’s good, but we’re not here to talk about Vic, Ruth… We’re here about you,” he reminded her. Ruthie sighed, her smile dropping into a frown. “You can talk to me, you know,” he said, gently nudging her knee with his. She smiled slightly and nudged him back.

“I know,” she breathed.

“So, start talking,” he said as if it were an easy thing.

“I, er, like this guy…” Ruthie started.

“Ah,” he sighed. “Of course you do,” he muttered under his breath. “He isn’t right for you,” he said suddenly.

Ruthie stared at him with her eyebrow arched in amusement. “You don’t even know who it is yet,” she said, a smile playing on her lips.

“Fine, then, who is it?” he asked. She always loved his overly protective brother side. He was her absolute best friend.

“Well…” Ruthie hesitated. “His name is…Scorpius,” she said quietly, mumbling the last word. Teddy leaned in.

“What was that? I thought we talked about mumbling. Open your mouth, Ruth… Who do you like?” he said, chuckling lightly.

“Scorpius,” she said barely above a whisper.

“Scorpius?” Teddy muttered, deep in thought. “Where have I heard that name before?” he said more to himself than to her. Ruthie fidgeted uncomfortably. “Wait! Isn’t he the Malfoy kid?” Teddy asked as he stared at Ruthie. She nodded slowly, a sheepish expression on her face. Teddy gulped loudly, trying to keep a calm expression on his face.

“Are you mad?” Ruthie whispered.

“No, I’m not mad… Surprised a little, but not mad. Uncle Ron may be mad if he finds out, or even your Dad for that matter…” Ruthie turned her head sharply back to the lake. Her father and uncle were two of the main reasons she didn’t tell anybody.

“Are you disgusted with my taste?” Ruthie whispered.

“Nope,” he said after a little while. Ruthie looked at him with a skeptic look and he laughed. “You’re a bright kid, Ruth. If you like him, it’s for a legitimate reason. He must not be that bad,” Teddy decided. Ruthie sighed in relief.

“Promise you won’t tell anyone?”

“Promise.”

“I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway… He doesn’t like me back,” Ruthie whispered.

“I’m sure he does… And if he doesn’t, then there is something mentally wrong with him. Maybe if you talked to him about it…” he suggested. Ruthie made a face and he laughed again.

“C’mon, Ruthie, you’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain,” Teddy said soothingly as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

“Easy for you to say, Mr. Happy With His Girlfriend And No Longer Needs To Worry About Putting Yourself Out There,” she muttered.

“I guess that’s true, but still,” Teddy said, suppressing a laugh.

“Fine, I’ll think about talking to him,” she said with a sigh. Teddy chuckled, patting her arm.

“That’s all I’m asking.” Teddy pulled out a bag from his traveling coat and started taking out boxes of Chinese food.

“What’s all this?” Ruthie asked as she sniffed the food, sighing in content at her orange chicken.

“Dinner… from your favorite Chinese restaurant, the Panda Express,” Teddy said with a grin.

“Yum!” she exclaimed as she reached for a fork. Teddy chuckled while he started dishing out different types of chicken into one of the Styrofoam boxes.

What do you think?

You can throw your sticks and stones,
Throw your bombs and your blows,
[But you're not gonna break my soul.]

Last edited by Emileyn; 12-04-2010 at 02:42 AM.