View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
D.A Forever
Dark Force Defense League

DMC & SA
Banshee

x2 x3
Default My Father, My Hero - Sa13+
Fortress of Brilliance ღ Mommy Quad

Thanks to Mathi at The Three Musketeers' Fort for the lovely banner.

Dedicated to Dani and WOLVERIIINE
Because she inspired this story and continues to PUSH me to write, even though I dislike my writing. <3

Background information: This story revolves around my Diagon Alley character, Artemis. About how she went from being a Galanis, to a Chosen, and everything in between. Originally I was going for a 'Past, Present and Letter' theme, but my idea changed a bit since then. The first half of each chapter will be starting in the year 2068 (was suppose to be present time, but I took too long to put this up) and will eventually reach present RPG timelines; the second half is a look into the past, glimpses of Artie's childhood that help tell the story.

As the sun began to set, casting a orange and pink glow on top of the houses down the street Artemis' dark blue eyes traveled toward a group of children running and playing, their excited squeals of laughter filling the air. One of the small boys paused as he noticed the stranger. Hesitating, he waved a friendly little hello. The young woman smiled and waved back before who she assumed was the boy's sister (even from where she stood, the resemblence between the two was obvious) pulled him back into the game of chase.

Turning her gaze to the ground in front of her, the twenty-five year old turned in to a path that led up to the yellowish house with the burgundy roof. This was the first time she had been here, but she was sure this was the one that had been described to her. The house looked a bit newer than the ones surrounding it, as if it had been built in the last ten years or so while the others had at least several years of seniority on it. It was more than that, though; the house had an odd, alluring charm to it despite the fact it did not look as old or historical as the others. It had character.

Artemis nearly laughed at the thought but stopped herself, startled by the beautiful, curly-haired, middle-aged woman that stood in the doorway.

She was waiting for her.

Realizing this, Artemis could almost immediately feel the heat rising to her cheeks. "Sorry I'm late, I went to change after work and.." I wasn't sure what I'm doing by coming here. Trailing off, the young woman tried to avoid direct eye-contact with the older woman, as if fearing she would see right through her and understand the thought process that had gone into making her late.

The woman, Desirae, held the door open for her to come inside. She wore a gentle smile, giving Artemis the impression the awkwardness she felt had become quite obvious on the outside, too. "That's alright, you don't need to be sorry. Your little sister, Robin, had seen you approaching the house and came to tell me."

Your little sister.

The words echoed in her head like a sentence shouted into an empty cave. Artemis wasn't use to hearing that; she had a brother. A little brother exactily eight years younger than herself. Apollo could hardly be considered little anymore, admittedly, but that was beside the point.

"Oh," Artemis gave a weak nod of her head, feeling oddly numb to the subject. It was still too surreal. "How old is she?"

"She and Sparrow are twenty-one months. She's very smart for her age, catches on quickly. Your father likes to joke that she'll be potty-training herself any day now."

Desirae led the way down the hall, pausing at the sound of a crash that was followed closely by a baby crying as loudly as it's little lungs would allow. Her eyes went wide as any mother's would, concerned for her child. "I better go check on them," Desirae looked apologetic. "Al should be in his study, just go a little further down the hall and take a right. Go ahead and go right in, he won't mind."

And with that said, Desirae excused herself to tend to her children, leaving Artemis on her own to find Alphonse Chosen.

Her father.

"Is it good, Artie?" Uncle Deniz asked, peering over the top of his coffee cup as he took a sip from it, watching the small dark haired child silently pick at her breakfast. "Blueberry pancakes are still your favorite?"

Pressing her sticky, syrup-covered fingers together five year old Artemis lifted her gaze from her half-eaten pancake with a slightly confused look, as if she had heard someone talking to her but the words hadn't quite registered yet. "Hmmm?" Murmured the girl as she continued to examine her fingers, sticking the tips of her thumb and index finger together and then pulling them apart.

Going unnoticed by the young child, uncle Deniz threw her aunt Erimentha a concerned frown. With a flick of her wand, the Greek woman set the dishes to cleaning themselves and proceeded to dry her hands. Inquiring in a gentle, motherly tone: "Is something on your mind, dear?"

This time the child was listening. "Why doesn't my daddy love me and momma?" By the way the question came out so innocently and casually, and though it was unexpected, it was clear she had been thinking about it for some time now.

Looking up, Artemis noticed that her auntie appeared frozen on the spot and uncle Deniz was mimicking what she had recently seen a fish out of water do with his mouth, caught off guard.

"Your father loves you. What would make you think otherwise, Artemis?" Aunt Erimentha grabbed the wash clothe from the sink and wet it with warm water before coming around to the small girl's side.

"Then why isn't he here with us?" Artie asked, moving around in her chair to face her auntie as she began to clean up the syrup, and uncle Deniz cleared her abandoned plate.

With her hand under Artie's chin holding her still Erimentha gently wiped her face, taking her time to respond. "Sometimes the things we want most in life aren't things that are always possible, dear. If he could, I know your father would be here right now, telling you what an amazing little girl you're growing up to be and how impressed he is with you and how much he loves you."

As aunt Erimentha finished cleaning up her sticky situation and brushed a dark lock of hair from in front of her face, Artemis frowned. "But why isn't it possible? 'Tria has her momma and daddy, Elysia has a momma and daddy and so do the rest of the kids in my school. Why am I different?"

"There's nothing wrong with being different, Artie. Being different makes you unique - special; you want to be your own person, don't you?" Uncle Deniz's firm voice re-entered the conversation, catching the child's attention. Artemis nodded. "Why do you think it is your father can't be here?"

Little Artemis didn't need to sit and think before coming to one conclusion that made absolute perfect sense to her. "He's a super hero!" She declared, dark navy blue eyes wide with surprise as the words tumbled out of her mouth. "That's why we don't see him?"

An uneasy tension filled the room and, ignoring the warning look from his wife, Deniz nodded slowly. "Yes. You could say that."

Her father was a real live hero that did love her, it was really true. Artie's mouth had opened in shock as the news sunk in, a new series of questions forming in her mind. Questions she surely couldn't ask all in one morning without being late for school.

"Artemis, I think you should go get your shoes on and get your bag." Aunt Erimentha interrupted, the warning look now a glare when uncle Deniz caught her gaze. "Tell your cousin it's time to go too, please."

"Okay aunt Eriee." Climbing down from her seat, Artie started to walk toward the hall and stopped, turning back on her heels. "Just one thing. If he can't visit us, can I write to my daddy?"

"I don't think he would be able to write back-"

"I know. It's okay. I still want to, so a little piece of me will still be with him." Artemis added, hope shining in her dark blue orbs that resembled nothing of her mother's.

Uncle Deniz gave in with a sigh of defeat, which Artemis was oblivious to. "Yes, that sounds like a lovely idea, Artie. Give the letters to me, and I'll make sure they get to him. Now go on, we're going to be late."

Padding down the hall with only tights to keep her feet warm on the cold wood flooring, the five year old hadn't a clue about the quiet discussion she had left behind in the kitchen and the looks her uncle continued to receive for the fibs he allowed her to believe.

"What did you want me to say?"

"I don't know! Not that!" Erimentha whispered back, a mixture of concern and irritation evident in her tone. "Athena isn't going to like this."

Deniz frowned. "What choice did we have? She's not a baby any more, Artemis is going to have questions. She has a right to know about her father, Mentha."

"That's not our choice to make, Deniz."

Chapter One
Chapter Two

Note: The Chosen family (Alphonse, Rae, the twins and others to come later) belong to Dani (Kaos.Doodles), who is letting me borrow them for this Fic.

Also, I am NOT a good writer and this makes me nervous, so bear with me please.

Last edited by D.A Forever; 03-28-2011 at 09:03 PM.