Thread: Staff Dais
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Antarctica
Dark Force Defense League
Welsh Green

Encyclopaedia Galactica

Risu was thoroughly enjoying himself now. Everyone, as far as he could see, was having a good time, and the generally positive atmosphere drifting through the Hall and, presumably, beyond the doors leading into it too, cheered him up more and more. He flexed his fingers in an effort to produce a satisfying crackle in his joints, but they would not cooperate - and anyway, Hecate and Sage were no longer paying attention. Like Risu, they were more or less in a private world observing the ball guests.

Then Risu felt a nudge on his elbow, making the pumpkin juice in his goblet (he was in half a mind to switch to a more agreeable beverage) run back and forth in little waves. He glanced around and found himself looking at Sage. And Sage had a curious expression on his face. It was half pleading, half hoping, and the addressee of this look was similarly twofold - Risu was one, but the other seemed to be Hecate, standing next to Risu idly.

Risu, bad as he was at deciphering social signals like this, was hit by a sudden flash of inspiration. He had to suppress a small smile. His younger colleague wanted a dance with the unapproachable Potions mistress! Out of sight of the so-desired, he tipped Sage a tiny wink, telling him that he had everything under control, then moved his arm so that Hecate could see Sage had tugged on it. He smiled brightly. "My dear Professor Dodson... I would certainly not pass up an opportunity to brave the dance floor with you, but," he sighed, "I have to admit I only know the male partner's steps of most dances. And I am sure you would prefer to return to your greenhouses with both shins intact."

He stepped back a little so that Hecate and Sage were face to face. "But I am sure that Hecate here would not mind at all dancing with you." He clapped the younger man lightly on the shoulder, feeling very proud with himself for swiftly recognising the situation at hand.