View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maxilocks
Special Services to the School

SS Featured Author
Türk Bilgini
Bugbear

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sarani Glass
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Sion Logan Jetza
x12
Arrow Wings of Glass - Sa13+
♥ Mrs. Itachi Uchiha™ & MAJNOO! : Bleach & Kyo & Natsume ♥ [ Maxh!Jesh ]

The 2nd Golden Goblin Awards.

Wings of Glass
"Oh, Lord, have mercy and mend our broken wings."

For Connie.
Twenty-fourth FF thread on SS

Prologue;
Ice, Fire ... Eternity

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height,
My soul can reach."

She was twenty-two, with no boyfriend, and Great-Aunt Muriel’s eyes popped out at the news. “Tell me, Molly, that you,” the elder woman said, with eyes as huge as galleons. “– have been joking.”

Molly Weasley looked up from the stack of dishes that needed to be washed. There had been a time when her youngest – and only – daughter’s excess of boyfriends had made her shake her head with disapproval, and now the mother remembered it, and wondered what had come over her daughter. “I am not,” she told Aunt Muriel seriously. “Ginny has no suitor.”

Aunt Muriel clutched the back of a chair. “My sainted aunts!” she cried. “Molly, this is scandal! Sure, she isn’t very pretty, and suitors must be hard to come by, but that girl can not remain a spinster for life!”

Molly raised both eyebrows – she had never been able to raise one. “Excuse me?” she asked, a little testily. “She is pretty enough, Muriel and, as far as men are concerned, she is not interested at the moment. In fact,” and Mrs. Weasley’s voice hardened. “I believe this ... holding back, is a very good idea of Ginevra's – she has been through boys fast enough, at one time.”

“Holding back?” Aunt Muriel squealed like a little girl, so glad she was at this new piece of juicy gossip. Not that she would tell this to anyone other than every Weasley relative – it was a matter of the family honour, and her lips were sealed! “My God, Molly, you are not saying she wants to be a nun!”

Molly Weasley’s eyebrows shot up so high, they were in danger of disappearing into her auburn fringe, and she grabbed at the dish-stand so firmly, several sauces shook their quaint, little bodies. “Muriel, this is a personal matter. I can not force Ginny to –”

“She needs a suitor!” Aunt Muriel announced, with finality. “Of course, you can not expect her to find herself one as long as she lives here –” the emphasis on the last word was scornful, even accompanied by a rather contemptuous glance round the homely common room of the house that was the Burrow. “– But France shall put some fat in her cheeks, get her rid of those nasty freckles –”

“– She does not have freckles anymore!” Molly thundered.

“– Get her rid of those nasty freckles, brighten her complexion a bit,” Muriel continued with a wise nod. “Besides, my house in Paris shall be enough to win her the attraction of a good many men. If she’s wise, Molly, you mark my words, she’ll throw such a delicious net around one of those men, he shall be absolutely willing to ignore her lack of wealth, fame and beauty! He’ll be like fish-out-of-a-water without her, if she knows the fine art of seduction!”

Hopeless romantic she might have been at one point in her life, but Molly Weasley was also – always had been – a very proper, very prim lady. It was no wonder, then, that her eyes widened with pure shock now. The remarks on her family’s lack of fortune had stung, but the remarks on her daughter came down like a dagger, definitely touched a nerve.

“My daughter,” Molly said, raising herself to her full height. “Is prettier than you ever were, despite all your riches, Muriel! You will not have a go at her character, and will let her live her life as she deems best.”

“Touchy,” Muriel said, standing up with a toss of her red hair – long and thick despite the age she claimed to be. “You will let me whisk Ginevra to Paris, if you know what is better for your withering finances, Molly – in the city of love, even the hopeless meet good fortune. Even if you do not agree, Molly,” and now she gave Mrs. Weasley a rather significant look. “You know the lass would want to experience France – every girl worth her beauty dreams of Paris!”

She cackled, and left the room, and Molly Weasley almost swore out loud.

[] References:

+ "Oh, Lord, have mercy and mend our broken wings." - Khalil Gibran, The Broken Wings.

+ "How do I love thee .." - Elizabeth Barret Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese.

{ Index of Chapters }

[] Prologue; Ice, Fire ... Eternity
[] Chapter 1: The Taken Road
[] Chapter 2: The Lies That Lurk in Kisses
[] Chapter 3: The Road Goes On
[] Chapter 4: Quiescent Materials
[] Chapter 5: The Throw of the Dice
[] Chapter 6: Kneaded Fire
[] Chapter 7: The Edge of the Kaleidoscope
[] Chapter 8: Spilled Milk
[] Chapter 9: The Illusion of Summer
[] Chapter 10: Autumn's Frosted Kiss
[] Chapter 11: Red Roses, Black
[] Chapter 12: She Walks in Beauty
[] Chapter 13: Perfect Nothing
[] Chapter 14: The Rose that Grew
[] Chapter 15: Broken Dreams
[] Chapter 16: Love is Not Love
[] Chapter 17: Consist in Shades of Three

Last edited by Maxilocks; 08-12-2011 at 03:06 AM.