View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Post David Yates & cast talk Deathly Hallows, Half-Blood Prince DVD and BD-Live event

Brazilian blog Vira-Tempo got the chance to talk to David Yates, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, and Bonnie Wright about the production of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, filming Deathly Hallows, and their characters' growth throughout the series. Dan and David also give more details about the Blu-ray BD-Live community event that will take place on December 12th.

Quote:
And you're also taking part in something of a first for the Blu-ray this time around. Tell me about the Blu-ray Live Community Screening?
Dan:
Yes, it's on December 12th and it means that anybody who has got the Blu-ray copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince can use the BD-Live function on the disc which means that everybody can join in with me and David Yates who are going to be watching the film together. And then everyone around the world will be watching the synchronized version of the film and then they can ask David and I questions – which we will attempt to answer as cogently and interestingly as we can!

So you’ll be enticing people to take part, obviously?
Dan:
Oh, absolutely. I'm actually genuinely very, very excited about it. I think it'll be really cool. I'm looking forward to some absolutely mental questions, and probably questions I haven't been asked before because fans come at the film from a totally different side to journalists. So I imagine there'll be some stuff I've never heard before.
Quote:
So you’re undertaking something of a first with the Blu-ray release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince with the Live Community Screening – can you tell me more about that?
DAVID YATES:
Yes. Technically, it's an extraordinary event. It’s happened before, but not on the global scale that we're going to do because obviously there are Harry Potter fans everywhere on the planet. It's on December 12th of this year and Daniel Radcliffe and I will be answering questions directly from fans via BD-Live about how we made the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and some of the things that were challenging as we made it, and some of the things that I'm sure the fans will begin to know about: Why did we leave some things out? Why did some things come in? And it will be the first time that we'll really engage with that global fan-base on a minute-by-minute basis, so it'll be really cool.
Dan and Rupert spoke about some of the Half-Blood Prince DVD extras, which they participated in:

Quote:
In terms of the Blu-ray and DVD of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, you crop up on the extra feature about the editing. Is that something that you are particularly interested in?
DR:
They said ‘are there any departments that you would be interested having a look into?’ And to be honest, I see about 10 per cent of what goes on in this building. But one of the things I just always thought of as being the most painstaking, meticulous job was editing. And I knew very little about it. And I think editors are actually the unsung heroes of the film industry because they can make bad performances or a bad film look very, very good. So I was really interested and also, Mark's a really lovely guy, and I thought if I'm going to learn, here's my chance to have a bit of chat with Mark about it.

On the Blu-ray and DVD release, you get put through paces by the stunt guys for the extra features. What was that like? And is that something you asked for specifically or did they just say you're going to be doing this as a DVD extra?
Rupert:
It was in preparation for the Quidditch and flying scenes because I'm not really the most athletic person. I didn’t know if it would help but I got a bit of trampoline training to get my fitness up and it just gives you an idea of what it’s like to fly. And I think it was quite helpful and it was good fun. And the whole process of the Quidditch is quite uncomfortable to film but it looked really cool in the end.
Rupert spoke briefly about Ron's wardrobe change in Deathly Hallows:

Quote:
And are you on friendly terms with the wardrobe department? They have put you through the wringer over the last six years, haven’t they?
Ron has had some pretty unusual outfits. It’s the same kind of wardrobe in this next one, which is colourful, homemade knitwear and there's this quite amazing big wedding outfit as well. I quite like it, though. It gets you back and gets you into the character.
Bonnie and Emma talk about their characters' romantic relationships in the sixth film:

Quote:
So, the sixth Harry Potter film. How has it been for you this year?
Bonnie Wright:
The characters have completely developed over the course of the films. We've seen the relationship between Ginny and Harry blossom but in this film there is much more to it - not just the romantic side of it, there's also this kind of underlying threat, which she's kind of very much aware of, being within the Weasley family.

So it was quite a mixture of emotions really. There's a sense of romance and comedy and then there are the varying moments of danger too. But for me I was able to put so much more into it, and by working with David Yates and Dan in the early stages of rehearsals it was really nice to create a back story behind this relationship and to give it a bit more energy and history. So there was a sense of comfortableness that came through when we were shooting. And when it was finally all put together and I saw it for the first time, I was just so excited to show much more of Ginny to the audience.

It is really the first time where we're seeing this much of you. That must have been really exciting for you as an actress, to be able to step up like that.
Bonnie:
Yes, definitely. It was challenging, exciting and daunting because you want to do as best you can. And you also want to do the character justice. Jo Rowling brings Ginny’s character forward and from the beginning she obviously had a strong direction in mind for her, pulling her towards Harry and bringing their relationship together. So that’s a huge responsibility, but I just zoned into my vision of the character and I just hope people enjoyed it!
Quote:
Hermione and Ron obviously have a bit of a romance in the movie. Were you excited for this storyline?
EMMA WATSON:
Yes, I was very excited. It might not be the most obvious storyline in a way. I think a lot of fans always saw Hermione and Harry together, but I think that Hermione and Ron are very strange, but kind of perfect for each other. They’re very different, but you know, they make each other laugh. Ron lightens her up. Hermione’s quite a serious character, so I think they’re good for each other.

It seems that it would be more fun to play Hermione when you’re in a scene with Ron, because he looks like he’s having a good time?
EMMA WATSON:
Definitely. Yes. I like doing scenes with Rupert because we get to kind of bounce off each other and they tend to be the funny ones.

Now that you’ve seen the film, what’s your favorite storyline to watch, or what are some of your favorite moments?
EMMA WATSON:
My favorite moments are Ron playing Quidditch. I just think he’s hysterical. Also, Ron taking a love potion. I think he’s really funny, so for me those moments are my favorite.
The Half-Blood Prince DVDs can be pre-ordered via the following links:

Standard DVD: Amazon.com (one-disc); Amazon.com (two-disc); Amazon.co.uk
Blu-ray: Amazon.com; Amazon.co.uk

Source: Oclumencia