View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #68 (permalink)
MalfoyzBeloved
Slytherin
Puffskein

Chapter 16
The Suspicion

Harry and I spent the second day back in the library. I was studying and doing homework while he was copying whatever I did in a class he had. It irritated me to no end that he couldn’t do a simple essay by himself. It was something he had 6 years of experience in – technically, at least, even though it seems he has never once done one on his own – yet he just uses whatever is thrown his way by the first friend to finish. Putting up with it was harder than I thought; manageable, but difficult.

I had finally finished my Transfiguration essay and set that aside, thankful Harry didn’t take that class because the essay was one I worked hardest on.

“Harry?”

He looked up from his parchment to me. I tried to phrase this so it wouldn’t seem too obvious what I wanted to know.

“You know Kreacher?”

“What about ‘im?” he asked flatly. I reminded myself he only spoke so rudely in response because he hated Kreacher, and continued.

“He came from the Black family?”

“Yes...”

“How long did he serve them?”

Harry shrugged. “He’s an ancient thing; born long before your dad. He definitely served Sirius’s mother, but that’s as much as I know. Why?”

“Kreacher mentioned how he’s always loyal to the ‘oldest and most ancient house of Black’ when I stayed behind that day in the kitchen, yet when I asked him something as a Black he refused to answer,” I responded, picking my words carefully, hoping I wasn’t speaking too obviously slow.

“What’d you ask?”

“About Sirius.”

Harry let out a laugh. “Those two loathed each other. He tries to avoid talking about Sirius as much as possible. He often says it was good riddance... what happened...”

“What did happen?”

Harry was silent for a minute. “I can explain another time.”

“But...” I started to complain.

“Please, Rosa, not here,” he whispered, sounding mildly desperate.

I sighed. I was actually thankful not to hear the story; I wasn’t the least bit interested. “Fine, but can I ask something else then?”

“Depends on what,” he replied warily, placing his quill down on top of his parchment and giving me full attention.

“You mentioned Sirius had a brother.”

“I did?” He sounded surprised and looked down at his parchment in thought.

“In December, after my Quidditch match,” I explained quickly, waving it off. “Anyways, what do you know about him?”

Harry looked at me, an eyebrow raised. “Why?” he asked, perplexed.

“I know nothing about my family besides the fact my father is Sirius. I want to learn as much as possible, but my mother refuses to answer my questions.” That was semi-true.

“I know almost nothing. The library books here have more information about the Blacks than I do.”

“But I’m asking about this brother. I’m assuming they wouldn’t have that in a book,” I responded pointedly, finally letting my quill rest on the table. It leaked a blob of ink, something I fixed with the flick of a hand.

“Not necessarily.”

“Birth and death dates? I’m kind of curious about more than that.”

“Why about your uncle? Does this have to do with the fact your mother... is... you know...”

“No, it has nothing to do with her being Slytherin,” I snapped, growing more impatient. Harry blinked in surprise and I realized my momentary lapse. “Sorry,” I forced out the word softly. “I just hate not knowing something like this.”

He smiled and took my hand from the table and into his. He looked at it, and then at me. “I understand.”

Did he really? I rather doubted it.

“It was the same for me about my past, my parents... everyone knew the stories but I knew next to nothing. It was frustrating, not knowing and missing out on all the information strangers seemed to know. If you want I can... try to get... Kreacher talking about it.” Harry grimaced at the thought, barely managing to get the words out as is.

“Maybe... I could try again?”

“If you want, go ahead, but he’s an annoying, stubborn bugger. If he didn’t give anything up before I doubt he will again,” Harry responded with a shrug.

“When a master orders their house elf to do something, he must, no matter what, unless there’s a loophole they find...” I started.

A smile tugged at the corners of Harry’s lips. “Good thinking. If you want, I can take you back down to the kitchen tomorrow and try that. Do you want me to be there and make sure he hasn’t found loopholes and starts lying about something?”

“No, it’s ok... this kind of feels like something I need to do alone.” It is something I need to do alone; the questions I had about my real father would really tip Harry off, something I cannot let happen for as long as I can help.

Harry’s hand turned on an angle so he could check his watch.

“You hungry?” he asked, looking from his watch to me.

“What time is it?”

“6:15.”

My stomach growled right on cue. Harry chuckled and slid his hand from mine and quickly gathered his things. “I should drop these off at the Tower before going to dinner. See you later... or tomorrow.” He kissed me quickly on the lips before leaving.

I wasn’t really sure if I liked kissing Harry or not. It did leave my lips tingling even after he was gone, but to some extent I wasn’t sure if I liked even that. I mused the idea as I gathered my things and started to leave the library.

“Hey!”

I picked up the pace, wondering why the heck Pansy was in the library of all places. She could find people to annoy elsewhere!

“You, Black!”

Skidding to a stop, I realized it wasn’t Parkinson or any other girl I knew. I turned around and saw the little redhead Weasley coming up to me.

“I don’t know what you’re planning, but it’s not going to work.”

“What do you mean?” I responded, faking confused shock. The girl stopped right in front of me and glared at me, straight in the eyes. I realized she wasn’t as short as I thought; maybe she’s an inch or two taller than me, come to think of it.

“You and Harry. Something’s fishy about it; I don’t know what, but believe me I’ll figure it out.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Well have fun.”

“So there is something?” she demanded, her fist clenching around her wand.

“Look, I don’t know who died and made you queen of the Harry Potter Fan Club, but not every Slytherin is evil,” I snapped. “We don’t all spend our days and nights plotting revenge or planning how to take the entire school by force and kick out people like you.”

Weasley’s mouth dropped open, insulted at the emphasis I put on those last three words. At least she got the right context; as annoying as she is being, I didn’t imply ‘people like you’ to mean just being irritating.

“It’s not like I’m intending on harming Harry. I’m sorry he didn’t pick you or whatever, but it’s not my fault he wants me.”

Believe me; it is so not...

“Ok?” I concluded. “Now leave me alone.” With that said I spun on my heel and sauntered out of the library, the only thing on my mind being what there was for dinner.

Siggy from Lissy and Anna's Shop of Super Frazzling Graphics