View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
OtterySt.Catchpole
Gryffindor
SS Featured Artist
DA Poet
Rupert is My Man!
SS100 Triumphant
Aethonan

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ottery St. Catchpole
Third Year
heart A Christmas Carol: An Adventurous Holiday Romance or Teddy & Otts save X-Mas! - Sa13+
Paris & Kellybear r luv :Read Otty 's fics:Gone With the Wind:I♥Rupert

A Christmas Carol

~ An Adventurous Holiday Romance or How Teddy & Ottery saved Christmas from sure Armageddon~

By Ottery St. Catchpole

Disclaimer: All of the HP characters belong to J.K. Rowling, all the characters I create belong to me, as does the story but not the concepts created by J.K. Rowling who pwns, no infringement is implied. It's her world, I just live in it.

Dickens of a Disclaimer: While the title of the story is taken from one of my favorite author’s stories (my least favorite of his, but then again I haven’t read Little Dorrit, yet) this story will not be some thinly veiled remake of that story which has been done ad nauseum. I will not make us suffer through the same thing. Let’s face it, the Muppets did it best, why try to top that? So, do not expect Professor Snape to suddenly be visited by the three ghosts of Christmas or the fat friar disguised as such and Nearly Headless Nick as Marley or any such thing. Just don’t. What you can expect is a series of comedic romances and lots of holiday cheer, so even if you don’t celebrate Christmas one hopes you will join in the yuletide gaiety. This is, as most of my fan fics, AU taking place in Harry’s fourth year so you know Cedric and Sirius are still alive so you can expect to see them here … and maybe even Santa Claus but only if you’ve been nice If you’re asking me why post it before Halloween it’s because this will probably end around Christmas (our time) as it’s a novel length fic. So please enjoy and have yourself a Merry Little Christmas or if you celebrate something else Happy Holidays even if it’s too soon.

It was over 30 years old that’s all anyone knew of it, the swing that sat between the two willow trees overlooking the lake. Rumor had it that the only reason it had survived so long was because ghosts guarded it. The swing had been made by a Slytherin boy for a Gryffindor girl and that had been their meeting place for romantic rendezvous. On calm summer nights, and pleasant chilly fall evenings it still rocked in the wind which carried the sound of a boy's whisper and girlish laughter.

But especially on Halloween was the swing a very scary place. For while, the boy dared love the girl, and she dared return his love, it was their friends who did not approve of any such match. And to so openly flaunt their love against all their wishes ... Well, it did not surprise anyone when they broke up. He hung from that very tree, foul play they said, and she had died under it of a broken heart.

The legend went that if you and your true love sat on the swing on Halloween night your love was true and would last through time, but if you should have a spat before the night was through or your lover would not sit with you then you were doomed not to love at all but run around miserably alone forever. As the Halloween ball approached the legend surfaced again, and the bets began to circulate as to what loving pair would dare to sit there.

"You're an idiot, Ronald Weasley, if you really believe such superstitious nonsense!" Hermione exclaimed. Of course, she was angry. Ronald had hinted that he wouldn't have minded sitting there with her then gone around to say that on any other day than Halloween and wouldn't it be awkward sitting there and wasn't the weather nice, after all, for so late in the year.

Harry for his part rolled his eyes and knew to stay the devil out of his friends romantic spats. He had the Triwizard Cup to worry about, and asking Cho out to the Halloween Ball if she would. If only he could bring himself to talk to her and not say stupid gibberishy things around her. But most times he was so busy concentrating on keeping his knees from buckling he didn't have time to think of something witty. He was starting to wonder if he shouldn't take Ron and Ottery's advice and just write something down on his hand. But his hands always got so sweaty that didn't seem like such a good plan.

The Hogwarts Halloween Ball, only the biggest event of the season! At least according to the school newspaper. Gah! but he wanted to punch Colin for taking that picture of him with Hermione and plastering it all over the paper. Now everyone thought they were something romantic.

All Harry knew was that love was complicated and that Ron and Hermione were in for another cosmic row so he ran from them in search of sanctuary in the company of Seamus and Dean who happened to be walking by.

"Hey, Harry," Seamus greeted him.

"So, who you planning to sit on the swing with, Harry?" Dean asked, punching his friend on the shoulder. "Hermione maybe? She's pretty that one and you two are always hanging about."

Harry rolled his eyes and swerved into the nearest bathroom. He wanted to throw up.

:santa2 :

Chapter: I'll come back when you call me ...
Chapter: The Ball's a Rollin'
Chapter: Once upon a time I was falling in love now I’m only falling apart
Chapter: Whisper in my ear baby, words I want to hear...tell me that you love me 2
Chapter: Censored by Rufus Wainwright
Chapter:If they say why, tell that it's Human Nature ...
Chapter: the continuing Saga of Hogwart's castle love ...
Chapter: Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat ...
Chapter: I'll be back ... like Frosty
Chapter:Tiny Post
Chapter: Isn't feeling it
Chapter: Santa Claus is Coming to Town
(I've Had) The Time of my life
Chapter:Stop Wassaling Around
Chapter: ~The Twelve Days of Ottery's Christmas Adventure
Chapter: Not Alone
Chapter: This chappie is not a love song ... (Last Chapter/Cliffie)

Last edited by OtterySt.Catchpole; 01-18-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Adding Chapter Shortcuts will return with a Rupertbanner!