View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
X-Girl
Hufflepuff
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Annabelle Lee Costas
First Year
ツ Zonko's Fanatic Forever! | Sirius Stalker | ShruckleNooferian ツ

SPOILER!!: Lame

I know everyone keeps yapping about how this movie is the best yet...but, GAH. I hated it. Not that I liked much of any other movie but...they were bearable. This just irritated me. The actors...the dumb jokes that weren't even funny...the way it skipped from scene to scene like freakin' hopscotch..and GAH, the ACTORS. I wanted to kill Watson and Wright during certain parts of it. There was absolutely NO chemistry..no tension buildup, and GOSH, it was embarrassing for the lot of them how forced it seemed! But, I'll shuttup about that now. Let's get to the good stuff first.

The bathroom/Sectumsempra scene: Hands down, my FAVORITE scene in ALL of the Harry Potter movies. It gave me chills and proved that if a scene sticks to its true nature from the book, it CAN be perfect. Every little detail from how misty the bathroom looked, the tension that you could feel bouncing right off Felton and shown in Radcliffe's responses...god, I was in cloud nine. It was tormenting, sure...but it got me so excited at the same time! I was practically jumping out of my chair by the end of it. Oh, and when Snape showed up and slowly healed Draco? I felt so reassured...so complete? I don't know what it was! But, god, for the couple minutes that the scene lasted, I felt as though I had snapped inside the book. The crazy amount of emotions and the beautiful depiction of the two characters with the mix of subtle effects just blew me away.

Then, we come to the scene with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and...Ginny, sitting around talking about the dangers of the book. Except, they didn't! It was SO badly done that it made me really sick. It was NOT necessary for Ginny to jump in the picture if they didn't link her experience with Riddle's Diary and compare it to the Half Blood Prince's potion book. I mean, the previous scene was so intense and moving that...to have it followed up with such weak debauchery...was just, EH. All you see is this prancy little redhead bouncing from place to place and "hiding" the book from Harry while sneaking in a kiss. Gah, give me a break. And, a freakin' barfbag while you're at it.

Ooops, I said good stuff first, didn't I? Sowwie, I couldn't help myself. We'll do one good and then one bad comment, I guess.

Hmm, second favorite aspect...RUPERT. I love him. I always have and this movie just proves that regardless of what's on the agenda, Rupert can take it, make it RON, and most of all: make it WORK. Every comment, every expression, every single MOVEMENT was carried out perfectly. I don't know if it's his acting ability, or just how similar he is to Ron but...if it wasn't for him, I would've walked out on a lot of the scenes.

Like, take for example...the scene where Hermione sees Ron and Lavender kissing. I can't blame Radcliffe...he handled it as well as he could, but..Emma just overreacts? It's not even that. I mean, Hermione overacts slightly in the books too but...it flows. In the books, you sense how tormented she is within that moment. In the movie? It just didn't work.

My main point is that they threw in all of these little "real-life teenage" snippets that are meant to give us insight on relationship experiences but all that it does is make the actors look like they're forcing something that never really was. Something that had no sufficient plot or character support. Perhaps because there wasn't enough buildup but...I don't know. I'm not sure what you guys thought of the minute hints in OOTP with Ron and Hermione, but I think they worked. They weren't too subtle but then again, they weren't over the top. In this movie? They seemed so forced and it ruined what I thought was the purpose of the scenes from the book. I mean, weren't they there to show how amidst the disappearances and dangers outside of Hogwarts (not to mention, the crazy journey up ahead for the trio), momentarily, inside the walls, the trio were just regular teens that were compatible with the audience? This was not clear at all. It was so badly done that the scenes sprinkled throughout the movie veered way off scale. I'm so not looking forward to Ron and Hermione's kiss. And, the "moment" shared between Dan and Bonnie in the ROR? Sick-e-ning!

Hmmm, back to good, huh? Little Tom Riddle. We were spoiled a bit by the trailers but, it still blew me away. I even got the shivers when Dumbledore was leaving and Tom said something like, "I talk to snakes too..is that normal for people like me?" It just oozed of creepy perfection. I was very sad to see that they didn't show the scene with the other two kids by the cave. I'd have gladly taken that over any "roman-sicken-ing" scenes that they threw in so distastefully. One thing that I didn't like...was teenage Tom Riddle. Sure, he was good enough not to irritate me but compared to how creepy and perfect the little one was? I was expecting more. Much much more. But, it was okay, I suppose.

Hmm, another good thing was how the Half Blood Prince book..looked. God, how it made me shiver when I saw it. Sure, that's a minor detail and you're probably thinking 'nitpick, much?' but the fact that it was exactly like how I had envisioned it...gave me that 'complete' feeling I was yapping about earlier.ZOMG! And the scene with Ron and Harry fighting for the newer-looking book in the cabinet? Talk about dying of laughter! That entire scene, come to think of it, was hilarious. Ha, and Emma's hair!

Hmm, now on to the bad. The movie is called HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE. Why the heck did it seem as though that was less important than the poorly-carried out 'teenage-experiences' between the actors? Now now, I understand that characterization is key to a great plot. But, the actors are so much better at portraying their characters by FOLLOWING a decent plot line and not trying so darn hard to act out scenes that don't have strong support. Whatever, I'll quit repeating myself.x]

Good thing now, huh? I'm running out of things to say...OOOOH, I know! Molly! I love her. And, I really wanted to tear up when Arthur yelled out, "Molly!" as he saw their house burst in flames. I literally did tear up when he finally came to her side and we caught a glimpse of the dazed expression on her face. It seemed so..fitting. It goes without saying that the previous scene with Bella and Fenrir was thrown together so poorly. However, when you saw Molly's face, it somehow (it was a LOOONG shot and could have been done better but...meeh, thank god for Molly being able to pull through on this little detail) linked everything. That things WERE changing. That people were being raided and forced to consider hiding out from the "bad guys". Up until that point, it just seemed that it hadn't hit us how bad things had gotten and at what pace they were moving. Not like the book, anyway. That realization finally came to me when I saw Molly's face. Like I said, it was a long shot and I know numerous others didn't catch on to it..but it made me forget how bad the previous scene with the death eaters was.

What I hated, minus the fire scene with the death eaters was GINNY. God, I LOVE cannon Ginny! But, Bonnie Wright just doesn't quite cut it for me. AT ALL. She does NOT seem brave (and if running after Dan was supposed to mirror that? You've GOT to be kidding me!), she has no chemistry with Dan, she doesn't seem to pull off how attractive and radiating Ginny's personality is, and overall, she hasn't been able to break through of her shell like we all had hoped.

Hmm, good? The scene with Aragog, Hagrid, Slughorn, and Harry. Hands down, my second favorite scene in the movie. I didn't care so much for the little fish comment where they're talking about pets and life. Slughorn says something like, "One day you're alive..and the next, POOF. I once had a fish that went poof too.." and then goes to say that the fish was given to him by Lily and that the day she died, it went 'poof', to which Harry goes on a mini rampant and ends with, "If you don't help, the fish bowl will always remain empty" or some crap like that. Was that in the book? I highly doubt it, but it never should've made it on screen. He was doing great up until that point. But, yeah, other than that little detail, the entire scene was great. :]

Hmmm..good, again. Err...Ron on the Quiditch field! Haha, a girl in theatre started whistling out of nowhere and then group of fan girls starting squealing, which led to the entire theater howling in laughter. Sure, it wasn't needed but, meeeh, I love him...so I may be slightly prejudice. Bad? His relationship with Lavender. Sure, it was bearable, but it could've been so much better! None of it was amusing, like the book. It was just annoying. I mean, WON-WON was supposed to be FUNNY but she killed it. ;/ What was used of it, anyway. Oh, poo. Enough of that.

Now, on to the rest of the bad:

Tonks/Remus. -- Sweetheart? Seriously...SWEETHEART? Is that the best you twits could come up with? You take all your stinkin' time coming up with lame scenes between people who have no CHEMISTRY and then you butcher one of the most INTRIGUING couples by throwing in a lame comment like SWEETHEART? And, why is Harry not shocked by this? This was HUGE news! Speaking of which...Why was Tonks not at Hogwarts? What happened to the beloved OOTP? Sure, JKR sortof made it die out slightly in the books...but the spirit was still alive, behind the scenes! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Evanna and how perfect she is for the role of Luna and how she did in the replacing scene but...I wanted the scene from the book with Tonks!

On a similar note, you have NO idea how angry I was at how there was no mention of Sirius. He had JUST died and, all you see is Harry flirting with a freakin' waitress as one of the opening scenes. (real life teenage experience, d'oh! What's more real than grieving for the last real family member you had?!)STUPID STUPID STUPID SCREEN-WRITERS! Gah, I'll stop my rant about that and take back the stupid comment. They're not stupid but...their priorities were all wrong in this movie, in my opinion. -too sentimental about Sirius-xD

Anyway...what else? Everyone else has said it already but I can't help but praise them as well. Tom and Alan were amazing in their roles. I mean, I expected it from Alan and he's been fairly consistent with it throughout the movies, but Tom really outdid himself and shined in the limelight. He's definitely a great actor. :]

I'm getting tired of yapping so I'll cut this short (Uh...short in theory? ). There's a million other things I could go on about, but it all revolves back to the same thing: there were far too many useless scenes that worked against the characters and distracted from the beautiful storyline that JKR created.

Rating? Eh, I can't even rate it. Perhaps I need to watch it again. I don't know. But, if one more person IMs and goes, "Wasn't it the BESTEST HP movie, EVER?"...I will throw a fit, so be forewarned. :]

Crazy on a Sunday night..
You make me dance like a fool
Just the thought of you can drive me wild
Ohh, you make me smile.
X-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote