View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Phoenix 8390
Gryffindor
Billywig

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alexander James Wright
First Year
Elder Quad

Finally

The wedding was over. Benji and Emmylyne were married, but I didn’t stay around long enough to see the whole thing pan out. After that, I sort of drifted apart from my friends, aside from my cousin Finn of course. He always tried to get me to come around with them, but I insisted I was too busy with my auror training. He, of course, didn’t believe me. He knows me too well. I spent most of my time with my family, mainly my siblings.

My auror training was going well and it kept me busy. That worked out well for me, seeing as I was still desperately in love with my best mate’s wife. I thought that if I distanced myself from them, it would make it easier. But not seeing her for months at a time was more painful than I had ever imagined. And when I found out they had a daughter together that just pushed me over the edge. My jealousy had hit an all-time high. I tried not to be, but it was hard. Ben was my best mate and Emmy was my best girl friend. Yet I hadn’t seen them in months. For some reason I thought they knew why I wasn’t seeing them, and it wasn’t because of my auror training. Finn never sold me out though. He kept that secret to himself.

Finn was married as well. He married another one from our five person group; Elissa. That meant that I was the loner. I went to Finn’s wedding, only because I was in the wedding party. It was painful. Ben and Emmy were there. Emmy was pregnant, looking like she was ready to pop at any time. I left early, after saying my goodbyes to Finn and Elissa. Eli seemed to know why I was leaving as well. Apparently it was obvious to everyone except Emmy and Ben.

For the next few months I tortured myself trying not to think of her, but it was too hard. My sister, Valencia, asked me what was wrong all the time, but I never told her. My mother knew, but only because Finn told her. So, naturally, my father found out as well. It seemed like I could never get away from someone asking me if I was alright. Maybe I would have been alright if they kept asking. I don’t know, but it didn’t help. Especially because my own father was training me to become an auror, just like him.

My parents had had their troubles with dark wizards over the years and now took new names to keep themselves under cover. That idea was smart. My parents were strong people. I knew they’d keep me and my younger siblings safe. Unfortunately, keeping us safe meant sacrificing themselves.

I was eighteen years old and we were celebrating my little sister’s fifteenth birthday. The date was Saturday, July 28th: the day after Valencia’s birthday. Everyone had been busy on Friday so we postponed it a day. She hadn’t minded. She was too modest for her own good. After our dinner and presents, I sat on the floor with Valencia and my little brother, Dusty, as they played a game of Exploding Snap. Everyone was happy. Even I had put on a brave face and was enjoying myself; it was all for my sister.

There was a knock on the door. I tensed and my mother shot me a look; a look as if to say don’t-scare-your-siblings. I obeyed, but that didn’t stop me from fingering my wand in my pocket. My father stood and walked to the door. My breathing began to escalate. A noise. A yell. My father’s yell. It was a spell. I knew it. It was uncanny. My auror training was about to be put to the test. Too bad in this final exam there was no guarantee for survivors. My mother was on the floor by my sister and brother and telling them to hide. She then stood and began shouting orders to me and my father in Spanish. My father was now in the hallway, brining the intruders into our house. This made me angry. I had my wand out in a matter of seconds and was blasting spells this way and that.

Each man that walked in had a black cloak on that completely covered his face. I had no idea who they were, but I did know what they wanted. They wanted my parents dead and perhaps even to kill me and my siblings as well. Valencia unarmed a man behind me, but that only made me stop to see the body on the ground. My mother. My mouth dropped open as I stood over her lifeless form. Tears began to pour out of my eyes and I knew I was scaring my sister and brother. What could I do to stop the tears from flowing though? Nothing.

I got angry. Really angry.

Not only did I begin to attack the men with my wand, I began to fight them muggle-style. It felt almost good to knock a man out cold with my bare hands. I felt powerful. I took out one man after another that came my way. My clothes were ripped to shreds and I was bleeding in many places. I didn’t care. This was my way of avenging my mother’s death.

Little did I know at that time that I would feel the same way when I saw my father.

So powerful, Vincent Phoenix was. I took after him in many ways. He went down, but not without a fight. It took many men to finally bring him down. They had called for backups. My family was now outnumbered. My father fell to the ground with one last attempt to save his own life, and he failed. That’s when I knew I was through. My life was over. I could feel it. My parents were no longer there to protect me. If I hadn’t of seen my brother and sister cowering in the corner I would have let them kill me.

Instead, I ran. All I cared about was taking them as far as possible away from my house. Someone would see the wreck and they’d call the Ministry. Vee and Dusty would be safe. I took one last look at them as I rounded a corner and I almost knew I’d never see them again. It was painful. One of the most painful experiences I had ever had.

I ran. And ran. Until they finally caught me. I felt ropes curl around my ankles and I went down. I knew exactly where I was, yet I felt so very alone. A man, the leader it seemed, stood over me as I writhed and spat at him. He laughed and the other men picked me up and carried me away. They blindfolded me so I had no idea where I was going.

I had never been so scared in my entire life.

For the next two years I endured countless tortures. The men that had captured me kept me in a very small room, chained to the walls. They wanted information that I didn’t have, which only made them think I was lying to them. I was master at taking the Cruciatus Curse having received it so many times. And all I could do was let it happen. I didn’t even scream. There was no point. I thought I would die there. I was even surprised that they hadn’t thought about killing me sooner.

All I could think about was how my siblings were doing. They, of course, would be living with my aunt and uncle in Ireland. At least I knew they’d be safe. And that was because of me. I failed my first auror mission by not keeping my parents alive. Yet I succeeded by keeping my siblings alive. I had mixed feelings. Should I have been triumphant or woeful?

Catch-22.

It was nearing my twentieth birthday when I had my chance to escape. They had kept me so long I almost forgot what grass smelled like. One of the men had fallen asleep while on watch duty and I was going to try. The worst they could do to me was kill me and I was all too ready for that. Somehow I was able to reach the man’s wand and set the chains free from my wrists and ankles. My body was far from weak. The torturing seemed to give me the opposite effect. I had never felt stronger.

My shirt had been lost ages ago. I had scratches all over my chest, arms, and back. I felt like something out of a movie. Alien perhaps. But I had to keep going. I found my wand in the man’s coat. He was a very deep sleeper, thank my lucky stars. I made my escape out of the window. There was a tree right outside and I clung to it as I jumped from limb to limb. Success! I ran and ran. I had no idea where I was, but what I did know was that I was no longer in Spain.

There was only one thought on my mind. Emmylyne. All these years I had stepped aside and let someone else take my happiness away from me. Yes, it was my best mate, but I would surrender my happiness no longer. I had to tell Emmy how I felt and I had to do it soon.

Grandma Angelina called me not long after I reunited myself with my siblings, who were utterly and completely overjoyed to see me, and I them. I had never cried so hard in my life. Angelina had told me about having the younger kids over to her house over winter break and that Emmylyne would be there. She had always known I loved her. Something was different though. Something wrong about the way she told me to give it a go with Emmy. Where was Ben?

I found out that Ben had gone on a mission and was nowhere to be found. That was when I told Emmy how I felt. I knew I was throwing Benji under the bus when I told her this, but I knew that he would be proud of me for finally speaking my mind.

The rest was history. I married Emmylyne. We had our twists and turns throughout our lives, but we love each other. What’s even better is that Ben has returned. He married his Hogwarts sweetheart and they had a child of their own. Emmylyne just gave birth to a set of twins. My twins. Our twins. I have everything I need now. My parents would be proud. My siblings are living with me and Emmy in Spain. I’m back to my old self, but stronger than ever.

In some ways, that experience was a good thing. I’m no longer afraid of death, which is why I’m one of the top aurors in the Ministry to date. My family is still watching out for dark wizards, but if they do come, I’ll be ready this time. I’m finally happy. I finally spoke my mind. I finally have what I’ve yearned for.

And now my life is complete.