View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
MUSTANG SALLY
Dark Force Defense League
SS 100 Triumphant
Gryffindor
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Danny Logan Edwards
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Rawr
Special Ops
x1
Shipper Queen Hippie Quad

The Accidental Letter

It all started with a letter. I was just sitting in my common room reading a book when this magnificently brown owl landed on the arm of the chair I was sitting on. I didn’t recognize the owl, but I took the piece of parchment tied around its leg. Instead of flying away, the owl sat there as if waiting for something. I found this quite odd, but I didn’t mind. I unrolled the piece of parchment to reveal small, tidy handwriting.

It read: Dear Angie,

Hi. I know you don’t know me, but a buddy of mine said he had a friend who went to Hogwarts who could speak Latin. I have this big essay I need to do about the language, and I need to know if the words I put in are correct. Professor Vindict would hang me from his pocket watch if I got this essay wrong. I’m not that great writing in Latin, so I was wondering if you could help me. You don’t have to. I mean yeah you don’t even know me. But it would be greatly appreciated if you would just read over my essay. My owl will bring back your reply. Thanks so much, even if you don’t do it.

Carl Johnson

I just sat there reading the letter over a few times. I didn’t know how to speak Latin! Plus nobody called me Angie except for a few close relatives and friends. I found this really strange. But I didn’t want to not reply. So I walked up to my dormitory and grabbed a quill and a piece of parchment.

I wrote back telling him that I didn’t speak Latin and that he must’ve gotten the wrong Angie. But I did want to help him. So I told him to send the essay over and I would ask the librarian. Her and me were really close, since I was usually always in there. She didn’t speak Latin fluently, but I knew she would be able to help me. I signed the letter Angelina Brenin.

A few days later, I see the magnificently brown owl flying towards me. I didn’t know why, but I couldn’t help but smile. I was kind of looking forward to Carl replying back. After the owl landed and put its leg out, I grabbed the parchment and fed the owl an owl treat. The owl hooted at me gratefully and waited for me to read the letter.

This one was shorter than the last one. All it said was he felt like a fool and that he was sorry to have bothered me. But he didn’t bother me at all. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and waiting for him to reply. I wrote back during break. I told him he wasn’t a fool and that I could help him. I signed it Angelina Brenin and gave it to the owl.

The next day I saw the owl flying towards me during breakfast. A smile spread on my lips. I guess my friend Agatha noticed, because she asked me whom the letter was from. I told her the truth. She was my close friend and I told her everything. But I did let it slip my mind to tell her that I was developing a small crush on this Carl.

The letter was one of great gratitude. He had sent the essay over also. So during lunch, Agatha and I made our way to the library. She was use to going to the library everyday. She was a bookworm just like myself. I found Madam Clark pretty quick and told her my situation and asked if she could read it over. She took the essay with a smile and told me she would send for me when she was through reading it. I thanked her and we left to Charms.

The rest of the day all I could think about was Carl. I wondered what he was like. From the looks of it, he was smart if he was taking Latin. My grandmother could speak Latin and she always told me that was one of the hardest things she every learned. Plus it didn’t help her much that it was a dead language. She couldn’t practice or anything. I wondered what school he went to, because he obviously didn’t go here. I have never heard of a Professor Vindict before.

That night I got an owl from Madam Clark with the essay and a small parchment with three minor corrections. I grew excited because this meant I could write Carl again. I excused myself from the common room and walked up to my dorm. I didn’t know why, but I had a feeling that Agatha knew what I was up to.

I wrote Carl back saying that he had a well-written essay, for I had read it after Madam Clark was done with it. I also told him that it was interesting and he only had three small errors. I wished him good luck and sent Coco with the letter and essay.

The next day I grew a little sad. It kind of sunk in that I wouldn’t be writing Carl anymore. He had gotten what he wanted so he would have no reason to write back. I don’t know why this hurt me so much, but it did. The next week and a half I spent a lot of time in my dormitory. Agatha let me keep to myself. I think she knew why I had fallen into a little depression, but again I had no idea how she knew.

Exactly twelve days later I felt a nibble on my ear and I turned to see the familiar brown owl. I was a little shocked to see it, but I took the letter happily. He had gotten an E on his essay! He told me it was all because of me and he didn’t know how to thank me. My cheeks grew warm at this. He then said he had gotten help from a stranger, but he didn’t want me to be a stranger anymore. So he asked me to write him back telling him a little about myself. My stomach began to roll at this.

When I was alone in the common room I wrote him back:

Dear Carl,

I’m glad you did so well on your essay. But I am not the reason you did so well. After all you did write it. A little about myself…Well my name is Angelina. I am currently seventeen years old and in my seventh year at Hogwarts. I was placed into Hufflepuff but I’m not sure you know what that means. I enjoy reading and writing random letters to people I don’t know. Well you are my first random letter but I did like it. I’m pretty active I guess you can say. I love quidditch. I’m about 5’5 with a light shade of brown colored hair. I do pretty well in my classes, but I’m in no way the top of my class. I study but I am not a hard-core studier. I live in England with my mother and father. They are great people and I am glad to be their daughter. That’s pretty much all I can think of. What about you? What is the life of Carl Johnson like?

Angelina Brenin

It took me forever to write this letter. I kept on crossing things out and had to start over at least ten times. Writing this letter made me a little nervous. What would he think about me? Would he perhaps think I was stupid because I wasn’t top of my class? Or would he think I was a geek because I liked to read?

I waited anxiously to see if he would write back. The next day I told Agatha everything. Her eyes told me she already knew. But how could she know? Unless my face was that readable. She did calm me down however and I went on with my schoolwork. Thank goodness for Agatha. Without her I probably would’ve gone insane. She has always been there for me and I have a feeling she will always be there for me.

Three days later I saw his owl. I pointed excitedly to show Agatha that he had written back. She just smiled knowingly. I put my arm out and the owl landed upon it. I petted the brown owl happily and it nibbled on my finger. I then took the letter and sat down by a tree by the lake to read it.

Carl was seventeen too and he went to Drumstrang. He loved quidditch too! He also wrote that he wasn’t in the top of his class either. He wasn’t dumb but he knew a thing or two. But the thing that made my face glow was that he said: I’m not sure how to write this out on parchment, but writing to you makes butterflies fly in my stomach. I don’t know what it is, but I always wait restlessly for your letter. You must think of me as such a wimp. But I think I’m beginning to grow feelings for a girl who I haven’t even met. I wrote back right away. I told him I feel the same way.

We wrote back and forward for the rest of the school year. A couple of days wouldn’t go by without Carl writing back. Sometime during November he grew ill. But he still wrote me almost everyday. When it came to be December I was packing my trunk getting ready to go back home for the holidays. When a thought struck me. I wanted to meet him. Face to face. But this could be risky. What if this wasn’t a boy who went to Drumstrang? What if it was just a creepy old man who wanted to kidnap me or something? Carl had written back to me, but I couldn’t get the nerve to write back.

So I decided to tell Agatha what I was thinking. She was always right when it came to decisions. It was sort of like she knew what was going to happen. But that was impossible. She told me to go for it. I would be happy in the end. This gave me confidence, so I wrote Carl back asking if he was going back home for the holidays.

He wrote back the next day that he was. He then asked me if he could ask me something and asked if it was too early to ask. I chuckled to myself on how nervous he sounded. It took him almost half the page, but finally he asked me if we could meet over the winter break. I grew excited again and wrote back I was going to ask him the same exact thing!

So one snowy day during December, I found myself sitting by the window anxiously. The smell of cookies ran through the house. I loved the smell of cookies. I don’t know how anybody could live without the smell. The day was beautiful. Snowflakes fell from the heavens and children were seen playing in the snow. But I was only looking for one person.

Finally I saw him. He looked so scared and lost. I quickly grabbed my coat and ran outside. My boots crashed through the snow as I greeted him at the gate. He smiled when he saw me coming and I smiled right back.

He was more handsome than I thought he would be. He had bronzed colored hair that stuck up in every direction. It kind of looked like he had flown here. He was maybe about two more inches than me and he had the softest green colored eyes ever. He was perfect.

After I introduced him to my mother and father, we went for a walk out in the snow. We talked and talked for hours. Nothing could ruin this moment. I wanted to burn it into my memory forever. We had so much in common yet we were so different. We both loved quidditch but while I played for my team at school, he would never tryout at his school. He didn’t want to hang with the jock crowd. He told me the jocks at his school were all jerks and he would rather be stuck in the library than hang with them. I found this really sweet.

Somehow we had found our way back to my home. We sat down next to the tree in my backyard. I loved this tree. I planted it there when I was nine years old with my father. It wasn’t huge and tall yet but it did give us shelter from the falling snow. He began telling me about his family and how crazy they could be. I laughed and told him mine could be that way too.

It was when he began to grow quiet was when the butterflies in my stomach began to go wild. I couldn’t stop looking into light green eyes and he couldn’t stop looking into my own. As one, we moved closer to each other. My heart was jumping in my throat. Finally our lips met. It was like one of those muggle movies. Electricity ran through my body and fireworks exploded over our heads.

That was when I knew I would be spending the rest life with Carl. Today is our wedding day. It was a beautiful ceremony. Everything was perfect for him and I. It was the best day of our lives. Right now we are signing into the hotel. The man at the desk has just asked for my signature. I signed it Angelina Johnson.