View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Krysta
Gryffindor
Jarvey

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Krysta Hedwig
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kye Black
Magical Creatures

Chapter 7 (part two)

Finally the sorting was over and Dumbledore rose from his huge chair once more.

“Welcome First Years, to Hogwarts. Welcome back, to everyone else. It is wonderful to see you all…most of you…back again.” Dumbledore’s gaze flickered towards the Slytherin table. Harry, Ron and Hermione caught the slip and looked at each other.

“You think he knows something about Malfoy?” whispered Ron and the others shrugged. Dumbledore continued.

“Mr. Filch would like me to inform you that new amendments have been made to the prohibited objects list.” He picked up a roll of parchment “The list shall be pinned on the notice-board for perusal in your own time. Secondly I regret to inform you all, that the new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher has been unavoidably detained and shall join us later in the year.” They all looked at each other in surprise and a low level of chatter swept around the room. “And so in their absence, Professor Snape shall take the classes until they are able to join us.”

The entire room fell silent. No one moved. No one made a sound. Professor Snape grinned triumphantly around the room and Harry felt sick. The looks of horror on every Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff student’s face said it all. From the Slytherin table however, came a loud bout of clapping and cheering, and as the horror of the situation began to sink in, a low murmur of terrified whispers began to spread across the Great Hall. Some of the first years were looking confused at the sudden cold sensation that had appeared in the room, and were being filled in by their fellow housemates. Soon a look of panic and fear began spreading across their faces too as the Slytherins continued to cheer their Head-Of-House. Dumbledore finally raised his hands and brought the room to silence once again. Terrified faces met him as he looked around the room.

“I have a few last announcements to make to you all. Firstly, there will be a remembrance gathering for the friends and acquaintances of Cedric Diggory On Wednesday at midday. Students wishing to attend will have leave from their classes, with no exceptions.” Harry was sure Dumbledore glanced at Snape. He felt a pit in his stomach, growing bigger and bigger like a gaping black hole. He managed a glance at the Ravenclaw table to see Cho who was looking down into her empty plate, fighting a tear. He felt nothing but pity and guilt. A few quiet sobs were audible from the Hufflepuff table and Harry felt a hand touch his arm. Expecting it to be Ginny, he looked up to see Hermione. She smiled weakly.

“Ginny told me. It wasn’t your fault, Harry. Don’t do this to yourself.” He smiled back, half-heartedly and saw Ginny watching him with concern. He managed a weak smile in her direction and she returned it. A few first years were asking who Cedric was and a few of the older house members were quietly explaining everything. He felt eyes burning into his back and he could hear almost inaudible whispers and gasps:

“…The Goblet Of Fire…”

“…Triwizard Tournament.”

“...They just disappeared…”

“Is that him?”

“What? The Harry Potter?”

“…You-know-who…”

“…His fault…”

“…Didn’t have a chance against him.”

The whispering seemed to last for ever and Harry wanted to disappear, to not even exist. He felt Hermione’s grip strengthen on his arm and he felt a little better.

“…Couldn’t have been deliberate. He couldn’t have known. He’s not like that.”

Harry and Hermione looked to see where that whisper had come from to see Sharon Casey talking quite dramatically to a third year Ravenclaw and anyone else who would listen. Harry smiled a little and Hermione whispered to him:

“You’ve got a good fried there, Harry.” Harry nodded and smiled at Sharon who glanced in his direction. “Who is she, though?” Hermione asked, and Harry motioned that he would explain later, when Dumbledore began to speak again, the whispers immediately falling silent.

“I would also like to say that the Forrest is strictly out of bounds under any circumstance. This is for your own safety.” He paused “These are dark times, children.” His voice became soft “Despite claims to the contrary by the Ministry Of Magic, I feel it my duty as Headmaster of this school and as your protector for the time you are here, to inform, or to remind you that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has risen again to power.” A dead, uncomfortable ruffle went through the room. “We do not know what the year may bring, but as long as you are here in Hogwarts, under my supervisation and care, you shall be safe.” No one could speak “Therefore I have decided for your own good, that trips to Hogsmeade are to be cancelled until a time where I deem it safe for them to continue.” This brought a response. Fred and George Weasley exclaimed indignantly, as did many other 6th and 7th years. A slight murmur of disappointment ran through the room until Dumbledore raised his hands again to call silence.

“I know this is a disappointment for you, but it is a necessary one.” Ron looked glumly at Harry, who returned the look. “Lastly, I wish everyone a good year at Hogwarts, and luck in their exams. The inter-house Quidditch Tournament shall continue as usual…” a sudden round of cheers drowned his words and almost everybody made their happiness of the announcement known. Harry received a few claps on the back from Gryffindor students, who immediately began discussing try-outs and the new captain - whoever they should be. The Hufflepuff table however was relatively quiet. Harry felt that same stab of guilt he had felt earlier. Hufflepuff were missing their Captain and their Seeker. However the general mood of the students was suddenly on a high. Dumbledore let the conversation burn out a little before continuing.

“…And with that last piece of news, I believe it’s time to eat.” He waved his hands in the air and magically the food appeared before them, brought from the corresponding tables in the kitchen below. The first years gasped and grinned in amazement and delight and soon the Hall was filled with the sound of people eating happily.

Harry picked at his food thoughtfully whilst Ron devoured as much chicken as he could and Hermione ate her way through practically an entire chocolate cake, Ron watching in amazement.

“’ot’s on er mind?” mumbled Ron, his mouth full of Hermione’s remaining chocolate cake.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full!” Hermione scaled him, chocolate sauce smeared on her cheek, sending Ron into sniggers. Harry giggled a little at the state of them both.

“Oh nothing important. It’s just been such a strange day. Draco’s absence, Snape and everything.” he looked at Hermione who was shovelling chocolate mousse into her mouth. “Hermione turning into a chocolate fiend.” He grinned and Ron, Ginny and the twins roared with laughter at the shocked, indignant expression on Hermione’s chocolate-stained face.

“Knowing our luck, Draco will turn up fine and well.” Ron muttered with his mouth finally empty.

“Yeah but what about Snape?” said Fred looking angry enough to kill.

“The last thing we need is ‘him’ setting and marking our exam papers. That other teacher better turn up soon.” Added George. They all nodded in complete agreement.

“So how do you know that new Ravenclaw, Harry?” asked Hermione as Ginny passed her a napkin to wipe her face.

“Well she went to my school. She was two years below me.” Explained Harry.

“But she’s a first year. She’s 4 years younger than you.” Said Hermione

“Exactly. She kept being put up a class because she was so clever. Guess she fits in at Ravenclaw.” He continued.

“Two years! She was moved up two years!” asked Hermione. Harry caught a hint of jealousy in her voice.

“Yup. She was terribly bullied by the other kids, especially her brother. He was smart too, just like her, but he messed around all the time and got into trouble for bullying. I think he hated her for it. He’s her twin, you know. But they couldn’t be more different. Of course he made friends with Dudley, didn’t he.” The others moaned when they heard this “Their favourite past times were bullying both me and her. One time they managed to chase me into a shed and locked it. When I looked around, she was hiding in a corner crying.”

“That’s terrible.” Said Hermione, all jealousy gone from her voice.

“I’d never talked to her before, but she told me all about her brother and how she’d become alienated from everyone. Her brother hated her because he was bitter, and the other kids thought she was a freak. I told her about Dudley and my Aunt and Uncle, and she seemed fascinated by it all. I mean she was really interested in me. We became friends. She was the only friend I ever had before I came here, despite her being so much younger than me.”

“Well if they’re twins, and they’re both now eleven, and she was two years above him, then what’s she been doing for the last two years? She must have finished primary school two years before him.” Said Hermione, Ron trying to get his head around what she was saying.

“Oh yeah.” Said Ron, finally catching on. “What has she been doing for the last two years?” Harry shrugged.

“Dunno. Guess that’s something I’ll have to ask her. I also want to know how long she’s known that she’s a witch. I mean, are her parents Muggles, or like us?” Ron and Hermione shrugged. There was only one way to find out. He’d have to ask her.

The rest of the evening was relatively uneventful. The four new Prefects lead them away to their separate common rooms after dinner, the first years gazing in wonder at the spectacular sights and sounds of Hogwarts. That night in their dorm, the boys were quiet, each lost in their own thoughts. Neville and Harry were the quietest of the bunch and Harry was startled when Neville approached him.

“Hi, Harry.” Harry looked up in surprise, all thoughts of K.H., Draco, Snape and Sharon all pushed to the back of his head for another time.

“Er, hi, Neville. What’s up?” Neville shrugged.

“Not much.” He sat on the end of Harry’s bed, his hands stuffed in his pockets. “So, not a bad birthday then. That Quidditch set was really cool. And that Ari…Ari…thingy.”

“Arinella” Harry helped him out.

“Yeah, Arinella. Pretty cool.” Harry nodded and smiled, though he got the impression Neville was holding something back. He seemed uncomfortable. “Don’t suppose I could take another look at it? It’s really cool.” Harry regarded him carefully before pulling the beautiful redwood box out from under his bed. Neville watched intently. Harry unlocked the box with the key around his wrist and carefully pulled the shimmering bottle from it casing. Neville watched in anticipation. Harry held it out to him but Neville’s gaze was not on the Arinella in Harry’s hands, but on something inside the box. Confused, Harry followed his gaze and tucked neatly inside the silken the case was something wrapped neatly in velvet cloth. Harry had forgotten he’d put the Pendant in there. Harry set the Arinella on his bedside table and heard Ron call out feebly from his four-poster.

“Me an’ Hermione ‘ll show you how to use that tomorrow, Harry.” He said through a yawn. Harry waved a ‘thanks’ and returned his attention to Neville who was still staring into the box. Harry took the pendant from the box and carefully unwrapped it. He held it up by the golden chain so Neville could see it clearly. It sparkled in the torchlight casting blue and silver light onto the ceiling. Neville was transfixed.

“I know it, Harry.” Was all Neville said, never once taking his eyes off the slowly twirling artefact. Harry frowned. He knew it? Knew what it was? Recognised it from somewhere? He was about to ask when there was an exclamation from the staircase outside and the sound of running feet up the steps accompanied by excited voices. Someone banged loudly on the door and Seamus opened it to find a very out-of-breath but excited fourth year, Harry recognised as Colin Creavey.

“You…guys…gasp…” he tried to get his breath back “…Are never going to believe this.” The five fifth year boys looked around at each other in astonishment.

“What is it now, Colin?” asked Ron, thinking the same as Harry, that this was probably another of the boy’s over-excited over-reactions. But the sound of more stamping feet and the banging of more doors told them otherwise. Colin was completely out of breath, but somehow managed to get his final sentence out.

“Draco Malfoy’s disappeared!”