View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
MUSTANG SALLY
Dark Force Defense League
SS 100 Triumphant
Gryffindor
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Danny Logan Edwards
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Rawr
Special Ops
x1
Shipper Queen Hippie Quad

The Bike Ride

August 16, 2065

It was a warm sunny day, as a nearly turned fourteen year old sat looking out her window. Her brown hair had a reddish tint to it as it sat limply in two ponytails on her shoulders. Usually Samantha Elise Edwards wouldn’t wear such a girly hairstyle, but it was hot and she wanted her hair off her neck. Two ponytails may not seem girly to other people, but to this tomboy it was.

A knock on the door made Sam turn. She gave Benny a nod to come in, as he watched her from the doorway.

Benny had really grown up. His dark brown hair was just below his ears and his chocolate brown eyes (the same as Sam’s) held wisdom in them, with things others would never know. Even though he did like to use magic whenever he could, now that he was of age, he didn’t abuse it like other seventeen year olds did. He was still a little mischievous at times, but Sam would be upset to see the day when he wasn’t. Benny Michael Edwards had truly grown into a gentleman.

“Hey Sammy. What are you doing?” he asked and jumped onto her bed. He bounced a little just to look childish, making Sam giggle.

“Nothing. I’m bored.” She replied.

“And hiding from mum?” he asked, with a knowing smile. Sam couldn’t help but smile back. He knew how much her and Silvia could butt heads.

Silvia Edwards was born under the sign of Virgo and she held all the characteristics of one. She was a neat freak and always very organized. One thing she did every summer was clean the house spotless. Sam didn’t mind helping out, but she hated the way her mother breathed down her neck as she was cleaning. So every summer Sam took refuge in her room. But what made this summer different from the others was Silvia was six months pregnant. Hormones came from her mother in small (but effective) burst here and there.

“Want to go mountain bike riding? We can go through the trails up on Pan Mountain.” Benny said.

Sam thought about it, and then smiled at him. “Sure. Lets go.”

The two of them exited the room and walked into the kitchen. Leo Edwards was cooking by the stove, and looked up when they entered.

“What are you two up to?” he asked, his brown eyes shining. All of the Edwards children had inherited their eyes from their father.

“We are gonna go mountain bike riding.” Sam replied.

Going, not gonna, Samantha.” Silvia waddled into the kitchen. Sam tried with all her might to not roll her eyes. She knew her mother would not like her rolling her eyes at her.

“I want to go!” Danny said, making his presence known in the kitchen.

“There are only two helmets Dan-Dan.” Leo said, pouring some soup into a bowl for his wife.

“I don’t need one.” Danny tired.

“Oh yes you do! Sorry Danny maybe next time.” Silvia said as Leo placed the bowl in front of her. Danny’s face fell into a frown.

“He can wear my helmet.” Benny said ruffling the seven year olds sandy brown hair. Danny put on a wide grin and looked to Silvia for approval.

She thought about it for a second, and then looked at the three. “You be careful. Benny, watch over Danny and Samantha-“

“Sam, mum, its Sam.” Sam interrupted.

“Watch them Benny.” Silvia said, giving her only daughter a light smile. Benny gave his mother a kiss on the cheek and rubbed her pregnant belly before walking to the backdoor. Sam and Danny followed after him.

Sam handed Danny the other helmet and helped him put it on, as Benny brought the bikes out. They rode the dirt path upwards with laughter trailing behind them.

As the path grew steeper and steeper, the older two slowed down so Danny could keep up. Smiles were spread on all three of them as the rode in order, Benny in front, Sam just behind him, and Danny not to far behind Sam. Benny rode a little off to the right side, closer to the edge of the mountain, so the other two couldn’t fall over. It wasn’t a drop, but it was a very steep hill down.

As the ground drew level, they all sped up again, trying to go as fast as they could. Benny looked back at them and gave them the thumbs up. Sam chuckled at him, when she saw a large branch blocking the path.

“Benny! Look out!” she screeched, skidding on her brakes.

Benny looked back just in time to see the branch, but he was going too fast. He swerved left but his body fell right. A loud smack was heard as his body began to tumble down the rocky slope.

Sam jumped from her bike and looked down below at her brother’s ragged body. He wasn’t moving. Why wasn’t he moving? She quickly took her wand out of her pocket of her jeans and shot two red sparks into the air.

“Danny stay here. I need to get to Benny.” Sam said to the horror stricken little boy. His eyes were as wide as owls and she could see he was beginning to panic.

“Is Benny ok? How come he’s not getting up? Why won’t he get up?! Sammy?!” The seven year old began to shake uncontrollably.

“Danny. It’s ok. I need to get to him. When dad gets here send him down here.” Sam said as calmly as she could.

She then slowly began to climb down the precipitous slope. She almost slipped twice, but Sam had great balance. When she was a few feet away from him, she ran to his lifeless body and fell to her knees.

His head was bleeding severely, and his eyes were shut tightly. He was on his side, with his left arm slung over his back. One of his shoes was missing and Sam could see gashes and deep cuts all over his body.

Gently and as slow as she could, she rolled him over onto his back. She had seen on a muggle movie once that they should never move an injured person’s head, in case they broke their neck. So she made sure not to move him any more than she had to. Taking one of his hands, she placed two of her fingers on his wrist. At first she couldn’t find his pulse, but finally found a very faint one.

“Come on Benny, stay with me.” She whispered. She took off the light jacket she had been wearing and ripped off one of the sleeves. Wrapping it around the deep gash on his head, that was still bleeding a lot; she hoped he wasn’t losing too much blood.

When Sam heard a loud crack at least twenty feet away from where she kneeled, she took a deep breath and yelled, “Dad!”

The next few hours went by in a daze. Sam sat in between her father, who was expressionless, (his eyes no longer shining) and Danny, who was rocking back and forward with his arms wrapped tightly around his knees that were to his chest. Danny’s eyes were still huger than owls and he looked like he hadn’t blinked in awhile. Silvia had stayed with Benny. Sam looked really calm on the outside (except her hands were a little shaky) but inside her mind was going a mile a minute. They had been sitting in the waiting room for almost three and half hours now. Anxiety and frustration about not knowing what was going on was coursing through her veins. The accident kept replaying over and over in her head as she kept on looking at the door every few seconds.

When she thought she was about to explode, Silvia walked out. Leo immediately walked over to his wife and placed a comforting arm around her. Sam also stood up, wanting to know what happened.

“How is he?” Leo asked softly.

“He lost a lot of blood from his head. They gave him a potion to give him some back. He is still pretty low on blood but at least he isn’t losing it anymore.” Silvia answered. She looked strong on the outside, but Sam knew she had the anxiety and worry going through her mind like she did a few seconds ago.

“Is he awake?” Sam asked.

This was what broke her mother. Tears streamed down her face and she struggled to talk. She took in a few deep breaths before speaking.

“At first the healers couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him. He wouldn’t wake. Then another healer came in, she was muggleborn, and she said he was in a coma. She explained to me that massive blow to the head could kill a person. Benny was lucky.”

“How long will he be in a coma?” Sam asked fiercely. Not Benny. No, not Benny.

“They don’t know. It can be days, a few weeks, months, years. He may never come out of it.” A loud thumping sound was coming from the seats. Danny was rocking even harder now, his face hidden between his legs.

“So he might never wake up?” Sam asked.

“Later Sam.” Silvia said, seeing Danny.

“No. I want to know if he is ok.” Sam said defiantly.

“No more for now Samantha.” Leo said, looking at his youngest. Her father saying her full name surprised her so much, she went quiet. He never said her whole name. It showed how serious the situation was.

“Can we see him?” Sam asked, testing her luck.

“Not today. Lets go home.” Silvia said.

Leo walked over to Danny and placed his hands on his shoulders. “Hang on Dan-Dan.” He said softly. Slowly, Danny came from out his ball position. He put his arms around his father’s neck and laid his head on his chest. Leo stood up straightly and locked eyes with his wife. He then disapparated, with his son in his arms.

Sam looked over at her mother and saw that she was still silently crying. She took the couple of steps away from her and brought her into a hug. The two of them stood holding each other for what felt like forever. Each giving the other the strength to keep going.

August 20, 2065

A low muttering sound jarred Sam awake. She looked over at her clock. The red numbers read 2:13 in the morning. The muttering sound wasn’t coming from her room. This made Sam rise from her bed. She walked outside her room and began down the murky hallway. The tiny thumps of her feet echoed off the walls.

As she grew closer to the source of the noise, she realized it was coming from Benny and Danny’s room. She inched open the door and saw the shadow of Danny’s body rolling around in his sleep. Closing his door soundlessly, she walked over to his bed and sat down on the edge.

“Danny. Danny wake up.” She whispered. She placed a hand on his cheek to try and get him to wake. He was cold and clammy. He jumped when she touched his face and he sat up.

It has been three days since Benny went into his coma. Danny hasn’t said one word since that day. Danny was always quiet before, but he always responded when spoken to. Now they were lucky it they got a simple nod from him. He mostly stayed in his room now a days. He was never as sporty as Sam or Benny, but he was an outdoors person. Mostly just to look at the animals he could. But now he wouldn’t even come out to eat. Leo persuaded his son to come out just the night before. Silvia was beginning to worry about him, but Leo just told her to give the seven-year-old time.

“You ok now?” Sam asked. No response.

“Did you have a bad dream?” she could feel him watching her in the dark, but he still said nothing.

“Are you alright now?” she asked. When he still said nothing, she sighed.

“Go back to sleep Danny. I’ll see you in the morning.” She said. She then got up from his bed and started back to her room.

When she had her hand on the doorknob, he finally spoke. “It’s my fault.”

Sam turned back and looked at him in the dark. “What’s your fault?”

“If I didn’t take Benny’s helmet, he wouldn’t be dead.” Danny said shakily.

“He’s not dead, Danny.” The word sent chills down her spine. “He is just sleeping. Only he will be sleeping a little longer than you or me would.”

“Then why won’t mom let me see him?” he asked. Tears were streaming down his milky white cheeks now.

Silvia refused to let her youngest see Benny while he was at St. Mungos. Sam silently agreed. She had gone in to see him the day after his accident. He looked horrible. His head was all bandaged up and his face was swollen, almost a purplish color. His arm had broken in thirty-two places, so he had a white cast up to his shoulder. The healer that had helped diagnose Benny into his coma suggested taken him to a muggle hospital, where there are doctors who specialized in patients who are in comas. Leo confirmed that was true, so on the second day, Sam stayed home with Danny as her parents transferred Benny to Asclepius Hospital. Her father had to explain to her mother that he was connected to machines to help him breath.

Silvia was still amazed how little she knew about the muggle world. She grew up around magic, her mother using a lot while at home. Leo was a muggleborn wizard. So when he turned eleven, he was in shock to see an owl fly into his home. Leo attended the same school as Silvia and the story goes on.

“He is not dead Danny. You will be able to see him in time.” She said, sitting back down on his bed. His knees had found their way back up to his chest and his arms were wrapped firmly around them.

“I know you miss him Danny. But don’t blame yourself for what happened.” She said soothingly, pulling him closer. He laid his head on her chest and took a deep breath.

“I wish he was here.” He said so softly, Sam barely caught it.

“I know. Me too.” She whispered, rocking him slowly back and forward. She stroked his sandy brown hair relaxingly, before gently laying him down onto his pillow. Lying down next to him, she placed the blanket over the both of them. Her arm still wrapped tightly around her little brother; she waited until his breathing grew softer, before letting sleep overcome her.

They both didn’t know what was going to happen with Benny. Sam was never going to feel complete without him. Others won’t understand why Danny won’t ever talk or even say anything. But one thing that kept them going, was knowing that Benny was still alive.

Last edited by MUSTANG SALLY; 06-10-2008 at 09:11 PM.