View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Post Steve Kloves discusses splitting Deathly Hallows film in two

Steve Kloves, screenwriter for the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films, sent an email to the Baltimore Sun, where he talks about the seventh movie's script, and how he came about writing two parts instead of one (as well as jokingly saying that he could have written three parts).

He first mentions that the fourth movie, Goblet of Fire, was considered to be split in two:

Quote:
"Years ago," he writes, "we briefly — and seriously — considered doing Goblet of Fire as two films. So this concept is not altogether new."
Steve goes into detail about the process and challenges he went through for years to eventually consider breaking the seventh book into two parts:

Quote:
"As for Deathly Hallows, I intuited — almost from the first moments I began reading it and certainly once I’d finished — that to realize the story in a single film was going to be a tall order. Others in 'the group' felt similarly. So the idea of two films began to get kicked around as early as late summer of 2007. We didn’t take it lightly. But ultimately everyone felt that despite the challenges it would present, it was the most sound creative decision. I’m sure some will think we’re crazy. My wife looked at me cross-eyed when I first mentioned it. But I’m really excited about it because it should allow us to stretch a bit with the characters and give them the proper send-off. The story is highly emotional and those moments deserve time to breathe. And, personally, I feel we owe it to Jo — in order to preserve the integrity of the work — and the fans — for their loyalty all these years — to give them the best and most complete experience possible. I’d love to do it in three parts!"
Deathly Hallows will release in November 2010 and May 2011.