View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
hermygirl
Chizpurfle

x9
Stuck inside with Sirius | *Splish-Splash* | bamBAM | ☁ Spooktacular ☁

Hermy found her seeds, and held the packet to the light. According her book, the seeds for the hybrid she had originally wanted to obtain shimmered in the light. Not surprising since it inherited some genes of the rare Ravenheart iris. Admittedly Hermy's substitute lily had not caused the seeds to glimmer, but she was excited at the prospect of seeing the colour of the resulting flowers.

Taking the bag to her desk, Hermy once again reached for the book that had inspired her choice in the first place. It had tips on the best way to plant the flower she longed for, to encourage the richest shades of blue, and that fine glittered affect. She scanned the text to find the information she needed. Nodding to herself, she when around the classroom picking up the various soils and equipment she needed.

Firstly Hermy put some gravel in the pot to improve drainage, then carefully put in layers of dragon dung manure, potting soil and sand, each about the thickness of her hand. When she reached the top of the pot, Hermy poked a finger into the soil and made some shallow holes. Into each one she dropped a light coloured round seed, and then covered them over.

Finally she had to water them. From experimenting with other plants, Hermy had come up with a good formula for a liquid fertiliser, so she mixed two vials of this into the filled watering can and gently spritzed the pot. She waited for the water to soak through, and then repeated the action twice more. She looked up at Professor Erikson as he mentioned the student garden.

"I would like mine to be added to the garden if they grow well, I think if they shimmer as I hope they will they would look a tad strange in my Muggle Aunt's garden!" She giggled at the thought. "Though maybe I could take a cutting off them for myself next year to keep in my dorm? If the Ravenclaw colours come out correctly, of course."