View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #53 (permalink)
fox_in_socks
Gryffindor
sox master
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Saroja

Professor Fox nodded and put his glasses back on, walked to the blackboard and continued the lesson. "Now, the identity numbers, 0 and 1 both have the ability in elementary operations to return the identity of other numbers, either through multiplication, division, addition, or subtraction. Furthermore, zero has the ability to return, through suitable operations, any number to either zero or one. So it is in magic. Both numbers, through suitable arithmantic means, have the ability to show the identity of other numbers associated with something else. And as all magical spells can be represented by numbers, that menas that a properly trained Arithmancer has the ability to use the properties of magic associated with zero and one to find the identity of any hidden magic. These numbers are of paramount importance to curse breakers at Gringotts. Also, zero has the ability, through suitable arithmantic and magical means to return the value of any other number to either zero or one."

He paused a moment, writing some of these points on the blackboard, before continuing. "Furthermore, zero represents change and decay, thus through certain magical practices involving spells, potions, runes, what have you, associated with zero, it is possible to undue nearly any magical spell. Furthermore, because all numbers have the ability to be reduced to zero, and all numbers except zero are susceptable to change, it tells us that there is no magical spell or object that does not have a tendency to decay in its potency. So, without suitable dilligence at maintaining a wand, a spell, a ward, a glyph, potion materials, etc. All magical things will tend to decay." He stopped for a moment, as if remembering something important. "I would take this point to mention it is because of the properties of zero, and the fact that all magical items can be represented by numbers, that each and every one of you should always maintain your wands, brooms, and cauldrons accordingly, lest they fall into disrepair."

"Lastly, because one is associated with unity and identity, and all integers can be written as a suitable addition of ones, that means all magial effects and spells have an individual identity associated with them, as well as an identity associated with being part of the whole of the magical universe. Hence, we now see that the numbers one, zero, and prime numbers are of paramount importance to any theoretical work on magic, as well as anyone wishing to discern the nature of an unknown magic. So, while the arithmancy and magical rites associated with breaking curses or discerning hidden locations of tombs can become quite complicated and require years of training, without first understanding identity numbers' properties, and the properties of primes, one would never be able to do any suitable arithmantic work." He paused and watched the likely confused and curious class. "Now, for the end of this lecture, I thought it would be appropriate for the students who dilligently showed up to be able to ask questions concerning what we have learned, arithmancy as a whole, or any other appropriate questions. So before I announce something I hope you will find interesting, I will take your questions." Having said that he removed his fragile glasses and stepped infront of the desk, leaning against it and facing the class.