View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
Brandon didn't want to drive. But he didn't want someone else to be driving him, because he didn't trust anyone. But he didn't want to be left out either. Why did people ever leave decisions up to him? He looked unsurely between the two professors, then climbed into Desiree's car. "Have you ever driven anything before?" he asked carefully. Were there seatbelts in these? Was this safe? "Do you think these cars have any magic charms preventing them from accidents? What's the top speed on this?" He hesitated. "Sorry." He didn't want to imply that Desiree couldn't drive. But he did NOT trust these things, and he HAD to think about all the possibilities before he felt better.

Maybe Desiree was a good driver. Or, maybe she was the best driver, which was less reassuring but still preferable. It wasn't a real car, anyway. It probably couldn't go fast enough to be dangerous. He hoped.

You know what, he was just going to trust Desiree and try not to think about the safety involved. He didn't want to talk himself out of this before it even started.
Desiree glanced around from her seat, waiting to see if anyone wanted to be her partner. She smiled, waving cheerfully at Brandon as he got in. She blinked, unsure how to answer his question. She didn’t want to scare him, but she didn’t want to lie either! “Only the bumper cars at the carnival, but I promise I’ll be careful,” she replied with what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

The other questions made her think. She had no idea what the top speed on these cars was, though she was sure it was slower than a real one. If they were meant to go as fast as a real car, wouldn’t they be using those instead? As for the cars being charmed, she thought it could go either way. Magical safety precautions were the norm at Hogwarts, but this was a Muggle Studies activity. She shrugged as Brandon’s voice jerked her out of her thoughts. “No, it’s okay,” she said. “Sorry I don’t know the answer to your questions.”

Desiree listened intently, hanging on the Feirgrund’s every word as he explained the course. Okay, so down the hill to the marker at Hernandez’s hut. That sounded pretty straightforward so far - Wait, what? They were allowed to bump each other?! Ordinarily Desiree might think that sounded fun, but she didn’t want the bumps to scare her housemate. She made up her mind that she would not let anyone bump her car!

As Feirgrund said go, Desiree turned to Brandon with a smile. “Ready?” she said. “We’ll start out nice and slow.” She wanted to win the race, but not if it meant scaring a friend! After waiting a minute or two, she pushed the button to start the car and eased her foot off the brake. The car started forward at a steady pace. “Tell me if you see any obstacles.” She’d keep an eye out herself, of course, but two pairs of eyes were better than one, right?

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...