Thread: Staff Table
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 10:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Ean’s response got a slight smile from Norman. “Enjoy the slow moments while they last. They don’t happen often,” he replied, imparting a bit of friendly advice. This was Hogwarts, after all! Chaos was a given! The question made him think. Not the type to dwell on emotions, he hadn’t really stopped to consider how it felt to be here as long as he had. “Is it conceited to say I consider it quite an accomplishment?” Every term under his belt brought him closer to fulfilling a promise he made long ago.

“Good evening,” he returned Winterbottom and Escalante’s greetings, nodding politely to each in turn. Unfortunately both were seated too far away to engage in proper conversation. Devries, on the other hand, was separated by only one person. “Good evening, Tapio,” he replied. “Yes, my summer was pleasantly uneventful.” Lots of quality time spent with his daughter. “How was yours?”

Norman blinked, unsure what to make of the new headmaster’s question. Well, that was awfully vague! Wouldn’t a polar bear’s weight vary based on its age and gender? And what did that question have to do with anything? His guess was along the same lines as the others’ (Dhruv, Kennedy, and Ean), but he saw no point in repeating their guesses. It was only when the new astronomy professor (Celeste) spoke, that it occurred to him. Just enough to break the ice… Oh my-! He thought. Is this another one of his jokes?

Apparently so, if the headmaster’s following remarks were any indication. Merlin, that was going to take some getting used to! Norman was much too serious for all these dad jokes! While the joke itself sailed over his head, the thought of a polar bear in the Great Hall got a soft chuckle from him. While he knew the headmaster was likely still joking, he could always ask him to transfigure something into a polar bear (or some other creature) should he ever really need one for a demonstration.

His usual stoic expression back in place, Norman turned his attention to the headmaster’s speech. He noticed that the man didn’t finish his sentence after mentioning his wife, and he couldn’t help but wonder… Had Winterbottom lost a wife too? There was a faint glimmer of understanding in his eyes as he looked at the man. While he was no more likely to pry into the boss’s past than he was to reveal his own, if his guess was correct he could sympathize.

But that was a thought for another time. As food appeared, he stopped fidgeting with his wedding ring - when had he started doing that?! - and filled his plate, periodically glancing at the Ravenclaw table for any sign of trouble.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...