Thread: Staff Table
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 02:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wilber Winterbottom
Hogwarts Headmaster
Gnome

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wilber O. Winterbottom
Hufflepuff

"Fifty stone?" Wilber was distracted from his delightful punch line by a serious answer coming immediately to his left. The older man frowned in consideration, knuckling his glasses back into place and doing mental maths. Wait. No. Not fifty stone. Or, perhaps fifty stone? But not the right answer.

And to his right, a higher offer. Sixty stone! Fifty-five!? He breathed a sigh of relief when Celeste piped up. "Ahem, yes, precisely so. Enough to break the ice. Many thanks, my dear Professor Gert. I was growing concerned I should have to produce a polar bear to answer our question before much more time passed. Imagine how pleased the young people would be, though." He did imagine it, all the shiny bright faces at the appearance of a magnificent arctic beastie.

But, time and dinner waited for no man, and the social customs of this particular illustrious institution called for a speech! "Please excuse me, my dears. I must speak to the young people now." Wilber adjusted his robes as he rose, although they still fell slightly askew. "Young people! Good evening to you, and may I say that I am most gratified to be joining you for this celebration. I haven't been to a Sorting Feast in... well, it's been a few decades, admittedly. But we are here, starting this grand adventure of a year together, eyes fixed on the horizon and stalwart in our dedication to educational greatness. Your professors are gathered here on each side of me, eager to bring the joy of their expertise directly to your thirsty young minds. I envy you all this moment, for it will never come again."

He paused, considering. "Except, of course, it will come again, won't it? Each moment in these esteemed halls is a chance to start anew, so each new day is a fresh step on this educational journey. But there is not a feast each day, and the more I blather on about the excitement of things to come, the more your stomachs rumble despairingly. My lovely wife used to remind me..." Well, no, because that wasn't pertinent and because talking about dear Clove usually choked him up.

"Eat your fill, my dears, and welcome back to Hogwarts." Wilber began to sit before recalling a crucial part of speech-making that he had overlooked. "Ah, yes, and my name is Headmaster Wilber Winterbottom. You are all invited to my office at your leisure for more informal introductions. Now, truly... you must eat!"