View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default Sheesh! Sorry this turned into an essay!
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
I really do enjoy Dickens' writing style. I know he can be a lot (being paid per word and all that lol) but maybe it's because I am wordy myself...I just vibe with it really well. It helps me get a better mental image of what exactly is going on. Plus I'm just a huge history nerd so the storyline of the book itself is really enjoyable for me!
I agree 100%! I remember the first time I read this book, I thought it would be an easy read. I don’t know why, maybe because I could more or less follow a tv version of the story at an early age? Anyway, I was struck by Dickens’s writing style and just how wordy it was. There were parts that I had a hard time understanding, and even to this day, I’ll find myself rereading parts to make sure I got everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Lets get into the story, thoughts so far? What is your favorite thing about reading this book?
Oh goodness, where do I begin? I have so many favorite things!

If I had to pick one, I’d say my favorite thing is the characters. Even the characters that I don’t personally like (E.g. Darnay, Stryver, the Marquis St. Evremonde) are written in a compelling, if not entertaining way that makes them fun to read about, not to mention the fact that this story is home to one of my favorite fictional characters ever! If you look at my professor’s name or if you saw my doll repaint in the Bookish Fanart thread before the cyberattack happened, you can probably guess which one that is.

I’m of course referring to Sydney Carton. He was always the character I gravitated toward, even as a little kid watching the tv movie. As an adult, I came to realize just how much I relate to him… so much so that I sometimes joke with my bookworm friends that I’m like a modern female version of Sydney Carton. I see so much of myself in his cynicism, self-loathing, intelligence, and hidden depths, and like him, I fell far short of reaching my full potential.

I swear I’m not pointlessly fangirling! I bring him up because he’s an integral part of my other two favorite things about the book, the message and the ending. I love the themes of hope, sacrifice, and redemption, and I find it inspiring to see that someone can fall that far and still find a way to do something worthwhile with their life.

And how about that ending?! I remember I was soooo mad the first time I read it, but as heartbreaking as Sydney’s death was, I understand why it had to happen.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
MadMadamMalfoy is offline   Reply With Quote