View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 02:46 AM

Post Harry Potter cast, creatives, J.K. Rowling pay tribute to late costar Robbie Coltrane

Harry Potter series cast and crew far and wide had nothing but fond memories and loving words on the late Robbie Coltrane, who died on Friday at the age of 72. Coltrane famously played Rubeus Hagrid - one of the very few casting recommendations straight from J.K. Rowling (who commented as well).

Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Bonnie Wright, James and Oliver Phelps, Warwick Davis, David Thewlis, Tom Felton, director Chris Columbus, Matthew Lewis, Afshan Azad, Chris Rankin and more reminisced about Coltrane.

UPDATED to include comments from Rupert Grint, John Cleese, Sean Biggerstaff, and Jim Tavare.

Daniel Radcliffe's statement to the press:

Quote:
“Robbie was one of the funniest people I’ve met and used to keep us laughing constantly as kids on the set. I’ve especially fond memories of him keeping our spirits up on ‘Prisoner of Azkaban,’ when we were all hiding from the torrential rain for hours in Hagrid’s hut and he was telling stories and cracking jokes to keep morale up. I feel incredibly lucky that I got to meet and work with him and very sad that he’s passed. He was an incredible actor and a lovely man.”
Emma Watson on her Instagram stories:

Quote:
“Robbie was like the most fun uncle I’ve ever had, but most of all, he was deeply caring and compassionate towards me as a child and an adult. His talent was so immense that it made sense he played a giant — he could fill ANY space with his brilliance.”

“Robbie, if I ever get to be so kind as you were to me on a film set I promise I’ll do it in your name and memory,” Watson continued. “Know how much I adore and admire you. I’ll really miss your sweetness, your nicknames, your warmth, your laughs, and your hugs. You made us a family. Know you were that to us.”

Our condolences to Coltrane's loved ones in these difficult times.