Thread: Seektober 2022 emjay's good intentions
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
emjay

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Gunnar McCarthy-Toussaint
Ecological Protection

x12 x5
Unforgivably Cursed | adultescent

SPOILER!!: <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
N'awww precious baby Gunnar

Really, REALLY love how you captured his eyes, MJ! In addition, your work on The Sorting Hat is pure perfection.
Oh thank you! I wasn't sure about the eyes at first, but they are growing on me. Glad you like how the sorting hat turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Those big drama baby eyes are amazing. I do believe he'd sit there forever if required, but he is absolutely over it.
Thanks! Yes, he can be compliant if he needs to be, but it doesn't mean he has to like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
I did not know baby blue-eyed slytherin gunnar was a hatstall (I think) (I'm pretty sure) but this makes a lot of sense. this is super neat and I love how you've used the pen strokes here, in all the different fabrics and the hat (which is also fabric I know, shhh). you've captured him and his baby 'get on with it, jeeez' expression wonderfully

also that sorting hat is
Yeah probably not. I don't think I told many, not because it was a secret, just because it never really came up. Until now XD And thank you! I'm pretty pleased with the way the hat turned out and I'm glad you think his expression reads that way. That's what I was going for and I was afraid it looked more tearful haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
Note to self: only come in here AFTER you've completed your own prompts

dang MJ, your drawings are STUNNING. I'm obsessed with that Sorting Hat. How. How do you do this.
I can't wait to see your completed prompts!

Thank you so much! You are too kind. I guess I just practice a lot. And then I have to teach it, so I pick up a few things here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
how? No, for real. H O W?

Sketching and drawing with just straight ink/pen makes me so nervous and I cannot imagine doing something like this with all the shading and just...wow. Any tips for a nervous novice? I love the choice for color accents here with the eyes and hair as well - somehow draws my focus from that amazing Sorting Hat to ickle!Gunnar's face
You are really too kind, but thank you. And I do have some tips. I think ink shading works best when you have strong values and can play up those differences. It's a good idea to learn basic ink shading techniques. I show this video to my students when we start an ink drawing unit. I also drew this in pencil first and marked my value changes in pencil so I knew where I needed to be darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emzily View Post
Wow, MJ… INCREDIBLE work! I’m always so impressed by ink pen drawings and yours are just lovely, with the perfect subtle add of colour on top, ugh I am in love.
Aww, thanks so much! Ink is not my favorite medium to use, so I'm wanting to practice more. I'm hoping using primarily ink for these prompts will help me do that.

Day 3: Frog Choir
Filius Flitwick
ink pen and colored pencil

SPOILER!!: Frog.. Toad? Choir

When Levi Glendower was a young Ravenclaw, he had a toad that he called Smith. He thought Smith was a boy toad until he was surprised one day to see many, many tadpoles in Smith's terrarium, making him realize that Smith was a girl toad. I don't remember what exactly happened to these baby toads as this happened many IC years ago, but I like to think that at least one of these toads found its way to the frog choir. I know frogs and toads aren't the same thing, but a lot of them look the same to me, so maybe they looked the same to someone else who captured it for the choir. Idk.

I don't know if I really like the shading on this one, but it is about practicing the medium and techniques for me, and I at least got some value changes in there. To me the toad looks a little dead inside with those vacant eyes and maybe he is really just contemplating this life as part of the choir. He is clearly not a very good singer, as noted by the sour notes that I tried to replicate from comics I've seen in the past, but he is trying. The cushion is actually purple, though it shows up a little more blue in the picture, and it's meant to be similar to the ones the students hold them on - which I had a different image in my head of what the frog choir was, till I saw pictures of this at Universal, which makes more sense than what I thought lol.

______________________don't you worry I'll be fine
_________________________________________________you were good for the plot line