Thread: Seektober 2022 sweetpinkpixie's chimaera ranch
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
sweetpinkpixie

Wizarding World RPG Admin
Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sage Ransom-Kruus
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12
astronomizzle ♧ gryffinDORK | & the rest is drag ♣ #badluckDerf

chimaera #3
this is fine
OILY | LEGILMENCY | HERBOLOGY

[ click for full size ]

With double Slytherin prompt inspiration (specifically 'oily'), I thought for sure I would be going with Eiji Rasting making a mess in his DIY alchemy lab or some shady corner in Knockturn Alley during an exchange. But then I got to actually putting my pencil to the paper to sketch and he was over my shoulder muttering about how insulting it was that he cause any sort of explosion given how far he has finessed his techniques...and things took a U-turn pretty fast. 'oil/oily' immediately made me think of bubotuber pus and its petrol-smelling self...which lent quite well to the Herbology prompt and then all that was left was Legilmency. This then pushed me in the direction of one Benjee Marchbanks since he is a Legilmens...but that either felt too on the nose or like I needed to scrap the whole bubotuber pus explosion idea that I was now in love with...so it was back to the drawing board. Literally. The face of someone being furious/frustrated/embarrassed by the mess came to mind...and then Legimency turned away from the magical trait and skill to more a certain transparency with emotions and gathering a certain sense of what someone is thinking/feeling without having to read their thoughts. Cue Atlas Flamsteed and his inability to show his resentment/disgust/upset/embarrassment when it strikes. Rather than on his sleeve, Atlas tends to wear his emotions on his ears and cheeks and is rather poor at hiding how he feels when its an extreme feeling - basically the sort to keep the lid on a boiling cauldron until the pressure is just too much that is KABOOMs. And he is very poor at Herbology - though not without making honest effort to be better! 0 Gryffindor prompts, but Atlas was almost a Slytherin so...it works.

My favorite part is how the pus turned out. I've played around with the colorless blender marker to mimic transparency many a time since receiving my Ohuhu markers with varying results. The trick, as I learned, is to put some of the colorless blender down first and then lightly brush over that while it is still wet with the base color and then one more time with the colorless blender. Let that dry and then add another layer of colorless blender to activate the markers again and start to build your overlay color - I used two shade of green/yellow-green for the pus and then some white gel pen for the shine. And here is a version in sketch phase because I just really liked how it looked and I was afraid line art and coloring would ruin it.

And Atlas would like to point out that even in chibi form he still has his nice square jaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
I'm definitely loving the way in which you're putting three prompts together into one piece, Kath! The explanation you offer for each too, is so clear to understand! Loved both pieces but my heart's stuck on Picketta's
Very glad bowtruckles have very long lifespans, let me tell you Her little tendrils are my absolute favorite - and nice that she is being to delicate in this piece because most of my memories with her are her being vicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Look at sweet little Picketta! I would take a plushie of her too. Maybe I only want plant plushies in my life from now on, since I kill real ones. Do you suppose Picketta just puts up with Chloe and Bria, or are they part of her home tree now too?
There are some really cute plant plushies out there and your bed clearly needs to be covered in them - though I suspect Remus would turn them into chew toys. Possibly. Picketta has long since accepted she just cannot make Chloe go away and is absolutely part of her Home Tree now too...even if maybe a branch she somewhat visits reluctantly, sometimes. Sometimes gladly too. Bria is and never will be in danger of her petty jealousy though, so at least there is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
N'aww Picketta, so cute! I love the coloring on her especially. And her expression just looks like she is so happy to have found Derf and have that mutual acceptance.
I thought I had botched it up by going so pale at first, but I really like the softness and it really gives that sapling feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
ahhh I do love seeing what you do with those nifty markers, and I was pleased to see you go with the combined prompts idea. all the different expressions in play in chimera #1 are I also really love how you blend those markers (something I have not... attempted yet) and especially in little picketta's ... skin?? bark??? surface... area (I'm having an existential crisis over the skin of a bowtruckle)

it IS very soft and ugh. her little face. uGh. cutest.

I'm very much enjoying the background blurbs for each of these too. more please. give me more chimaeras
oh hey

it is really SO MUCH FUN to blend and my first practice was literally just blending good ol' ROYGBIV, so I suggest starting there you won't even need colorless blender for that - just make sure the ink is still nice and wet and juicy on your paper for easiest and cleanest results.

Harry Potter WOULD throw an extra 'a' in there at me...I'm so good with words with all these 'a's in them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
These are absolutely epic, Kath. I'm especially digging your first one. You are the GOAT with those markers. They're tricky to use!!
you are too kind. There is certainly a learning curve with them but I love them so much ;____; for sure my most favorite art supply I have ever purchased.

When youre stuck in a moment and your spark has been stolen .................................................. ...........
this is our time to own it, so own it.....................................
baby we were born with fire and gold in our eyes