Thread: Discussion: Are all Slytherins bad?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Freyr
Gryffindor
Jarvey

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Luther Apollo Starriver
Gryffindor
Second Year
Astrophile

This question has been debated thousands of times by almost all HP fans, so I will probably repeat some arguments, but here it goes.

In short, no. If we overlook the stupidity of the idea of grouping children at an age where they cannot possibly have definite personalities, the so-called characteristics of Slytherins are just moral ambiguities.

Resourcefulness, ambition and self-preservation. These are some of the traits that might lead to a change in the status quo of affected people. Thus, people don't want that uncontrolled change. (At this point I realized I am debating whether these traits are inherently evil or not)

Moreover, public opinion is almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. If the public brands a group of kids as evil, shames their parents for being evil and attacks their pride which they value a lot, unsavoury outcomes are inevitable. One could bring the nature vs nurture debate into this but the effect of public opinion on pre- and pubescent minds is undeniable. e.g. H*tler youth. (Is the name banned, by the way?)

Once again, in short, no.

P.S. I am in no way condoning the acts of H*tler youth. I don't mean to offend anyone by it.

Last edited by Freyr; 10-09-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Freyr is offline   Reply With Quote