View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 01:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lissy Longbottom
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
Aria giggled, having found Hernandez’s response funny. Yes, she drew but usually her sketches were confined to outfit designs and patterns. Now however, she could picture comically drawing Caes. You know what? She’d do that just for the fun of it! He would find it hilarious too. Thanks for the idea, Professor!

The Slytherin made a few jottings of the other answers - the ones that made sense - and in the end, she agreed wholeheartedly with Hernandez: everyone would communicate in the way or ways they chose. She’d choose drawing though she wasn’t good enough beyond fashion related items. Aria waited a beat then lifted a hand, fingers wiggling as usual. “It does exactly as its name says: it causes one’s mouth to be tightly shut.” That meant no speaking, no eating, singing, whatever else. “I think I’d most likely go with Reparifors to counter the effects… would have to have someone else cast it, of course.’’
"Or could you cast it nonverbally?" Javier asked with a small smirk, asking the follow up question to Aria as she brought up a good suggestion. If she felt confident in her nonverbal skills, she could give it a shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
She liked to think she didn’t wear her emotions or thoughts on her sleeves but she tended too. She simply offered a smile in return when he gently closed her hand and patted it. It was weirdly comforting the gesture and she cast her eyes away as she felt oddly emotional. “Thanks At,” she said before looking back at him. He had always been decent to her. He was a good friend.

Professor Hernandez’s response earned a smile from her. “That’s true. Still would be hard to communicate, Sir.” She then proceeded to listen to her peer’s point of views. Her eyebrows raised a little when he discussed the lesson’s topic. The Jawbind Potion?

She nodded in agreement to Aria. “Causes Lockjaw,” she summarized briefly and then gave pause at the second question. She’d certainly panic at first. “I’d panic at first and think through a list of solutions. I’d find something to write on so I can communicate with other people to help me find the solution whether it be charm or antidote. Is there an antidote for it?
"No antidote, BUT the good news is that even the most perfectly brewed potions do not last more than an hour or two," Javier explained, hoping to put anyone's worried minds at ease. No one was going to be using it to completely incapacitate someone any time soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Mercer was sure that Arden was inviting him to ruffle that bouncy little ponytail on her head, and he dropped his own hair so he could bat at hers. How did it DO that? It was so curly and big. He grinned at Milo and batted at Arden's hair again. "That's Milo. He's my mate. He can travel to another plane."

Now. Something about not being able to talk? Their jaws being STUCK shut? That would be wild. And probably not very fun. "A tetanus shot, I think."
"Sadly a tetanus shot would not do anything to help in this situation," Javier said with a small chuckle. Not only would it do nothing to undo the potion, but vaccines didn't work that way. It was a PREVENTATIVE thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Why would anyone want to use a potion like this? Was Karleigh being too shortsighted? The only reasons she could think of were rather nefarious and she would hope that Professor Hernandez would not teach them such things. Or instruct them on things that she found otherwise useless. She couldn't imagine needing to know or use a potion like this. But maybe he would explain and she was thinking about it all wrong.

Hearing the responses of her peers only furthered Karleigh's thoughts on what this potion was about. She didn't have an answer to expand on what the potion did with her classmates providing enough answers, but she did raise her hand as she had a question. "Professor, what reasons would someone have to brew a potion like this?" Or administer it. Did it have a beneficial use?
"Maybe someone decided they were sick of listening to their sibling and wanted a way to keep them quiet for a few hours," Javier replied with a small shrug. "The truth is, many times the origins of these potions are unknown. Maybe someone stumbled upon it accidentally. They were trying to make something else and ended up with this instead. Either way, just as with any other spell or potion, we can often get creative with our uses when it comes to potions like this," he explained. He'd picked this potion because it sounded like it could be an interesting activity to see how the kids approached this particular potion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
To tell the truth, Professor Hernandez's lateness made Violet feel a strange sense of comradeship with the professor. Not a morning person herself, she could totally understand why one might be running late of a morning, and she told him something of the sort as she greeted him and went to take her place.

But--what would she do if she couldn't speak? Communicating was hard enough as it was, even with speech, which was quite inadequate to express everything one might be wanting to say to others. "Any communication is hard enough--words are really just symbols we use trying to express our thoughts and feelings and like any symbol system, don't do a complete job. But without the ability to speak--I guess people would have to learn other, non-verbal ways to communicate, or start writing everything down." Which would be a very clumsy way to try to communicate, Violet thought--and then there were the people who didn't know how to write.

"Well, it induces a form of lockjaw, like the name says. But to counteract it..." Violet paused a minute, trying to gather her thoughts. "It would be difficult on your own, wouldn't it, because you wouldn't be able to talk, so that would limit you to nonverbal spells. But since it's a potion...would taking a bezoar work against it?" Although Violet was thinking her first action would probably be to cast some sort of offensive spell against anyone nearby who she suspected of giving her Jawbind Potion in the first place.
"Unfortunately not, as this isn't a poison - just a potion with an unfortunate side effect," he told her with a small nod.
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayquilz View Post

Arden appreciated Mercer’s appreciation for her suuuuper bouncy, curly hair that her inherited from her father. Her father’s hair with sooooomeone’s blonde. Her parents were both brunette…and her grandparents were all brunette. She supposed her great gran Lenora was a blonde…maybe that was where it came from. The thought made her wrinkle her nose in distaste only because she didn’t really like her great-gran Leonora. She was a total lame-o.

“Milo can cross dimensions?” She whispered, not at ALL paying attention until she heard the professor mention some lockjaw potion. WHO had invented that and WHY? What was the purpose of that?! To HARM someone? Arden snooooorted. “Professor. That potion sounds really mean. Why do we have to brew it?”
"A few reasons," Javier began in response to Arden's question. "For one, it's a very precise potion, so it's good to help you work on your brewing technique. And two, it IS rather mean - which means someone could use it against you. Wouldn't you want to think about how you might counteract it if you're ever faced with it?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "Potion making isn't just about BREWING the potion - it's also thinking about the applications of each potion, and knowing how to counteract them."

"Excellent answers everyone - and now, without further ado, let's start gathering our materials and making our potion. Here is the recipe, and as you can see I've prepared all your ingredients on the side table," he said, nodding at the nearby long table at the edge of the classroom. Good thing he'd done that this morning before he'd headed off to run a few more errands, which had clearly taken longer than anticipated. He waved his wand and the recipe appeared on the blackboard behind him.

Quote:
Jawbind Potion Ingredients

-5 cups of distilled water
-Snakeweed leaves (one handful should be plenty)
-One 3 mL vial of dragon claw ooze
-1 Adder's fork (tongue of an Adder snake)
-2 strips of Wiggentree bark

1. Clean out your cauldron and set your flame to high heat. Fill the cauldron with 5 cups of distilled water and bring to a boil.

2. Add 5 pinches of Snakeweed leaves to your mortar and ground them down to a fine mixture. Once done, add to potion and bring heat down to a low flame.

3. Add 10 drops of dragon claw ooze to potion and stir counter clockwise six times over the course of 1 minute. If done correctly the potion should start turning a faint yellow color. Allow potion to simmer for 3 minutes.

4. Once 3 minutes have passed, add 1 forked Adder tongue to the potion and allow it to dissolve before stirring. You will know it has dissolved completely when the potion changes from light yellow to bright orange - roughly 5 minutes total. Stir ten times clockwise.

5. While waiting for the Adder's fork to dissolve in the previous step, take your strips of Wiggentree Bark and cut them into 5 centimeter wide strips. Length is not of concern. You should get roughly 2-4 strips pieces per strip.

6. Add each strip of Wiggentree bark to your cauldron, stirring 4 times clockwise after adding each strip. Potion should now be a lime green color.

7. Add 2 teaspoons of powdered lionfish spine and 2 additional Snakeweed leaves to your cauldron in immediate succession. Stir clockwise 5 times.

8. Wave your wand over the cauldron and say the activation charm "Clausum". Potion should turn from lime green to dark blue and begin to start smoking.

Your potion is now ready to use. One serving of the potion is roughly 10mLs, and the affects of the potion last for approximately 30 minutes.
"I'll give you about 30 minutes to get your potions brewed before we test them out," he announced with a smile. "If you have any questions, please let me know, I'll be here," he added before letting them loose to get started.

OOC: Here is our main activity everyone - potion brewing! I'll give you about 48 hours to get your potion done, if you have any questions let me know and put something in the title of your post so I see it. Thanks and have fun!!

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid