Thread: Mysteries: Death Chamber
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 08:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
MadAlice

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios Sunrider View Post
"Pulse is good. You seem to be the picture of health." Damian removed his fingers from the side of her throat, and put them on his own. "But I'm terrified. I don't know how you're handling this so well."
Jane watched Damian turn his diagnostic attentions to his own pulse with some curiosity. In response to his remark, she answered, "Am I handling it well? I don't know; I was unconscious for the worst of it, and now I've gotten well, so...it's over. That part, anyway. I may have been influenced by the experiment I was working on just before it happened." Was still working on. "It involved a very dark stage of the alchemical process, and the near-death experience all seemed to become a part of it. And the...dreams, sensations, insights--maybe just fever-induced hallucinations...I experienced caused me to have a sudden breakthrough when I finally woke up. So I suppose it's a matter of sifting the good out of evil. But really, I've learned over the years not to obsess about things I can't control or change, and just focus on the things I can."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios Sunrider View Post
Dropping his hand to his side, Damian turned his head away. "This is all coming to a head soon." He had pulled the deck of beaten cards from his pocket already. It used to be for fun, but over the last couple years it had become an obsession. Turning over the first card, it showed a weathered picture of a menacing being cloaked in shadows. The Devil Card. Again, and again, he turned cards over with increasing speed until they became a messy pile at his feet. The Devil Card. Each and every one.
Jane watched her colleague handle his battered Tarot deck with some concern. She had never held much with divination, but she couldn't deny that sometimes Damian seemed to pull some valid insights out of them. But she didn't like to think he was becoming dependent on them. Touching his arm gently, she murmured, "'The fault is not in the stars, but in ourselves...' Don't put too much faith in the Web of Wyrd, what's past is gone and done with, and what may become--well, that's still malleable. It's only here, on the cutting edge of the present, where we can act, and our actions can re-weave the future if we act with conviction and courage."
MadAlice is offline   Reply With Quote