View Single Post
Old 11-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #176 (permalink)
Felixir

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Regulus Prince
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

hello I wrote you a post but then it accidentally got a little long so I put it under a spoiler in case I startle you

SPOILER!!: bill don't look at me i'm hideous
I'm going back a fair way here and trying very hard to restrain myself so as not to overwhelm you with the words (but you can probably see by now that I failed)

I really like seeing how you use and apply colour so that it all fits so well together and makes for pieces that are sometimes striking and vibrant and sometimes softer and gentler and sometimes both in the same picture, depending on what the image calls for, and also how you play with the light. you can make things look so warm and vibrant and like clearly a sunny day even though there's no sun pictured in the painting, like, you can make them glow. and often I get a sense of what time of day it is too based on colour and shadow and atmosphere

also shading, which I've mentioned about your art many times and tbh I still think shading with watercolour is wizardry no matter what you say. you also have such skill with the detail you can get into these pieces, either with paint or with ink, and you get them to look so clean. ?????. I also don't understand how it did not take you literal years to do all these.

looking at your paintings of all the different places (all of your work actually I can't lie but the world paintings are what I've been looking at today) gives me a great sense of calm, and the brightly coloured and vibrant ones evoke a sort of... uh. lively calm. or maybe I just described happiness. anyway. your art makes me happy. there, i said it. jeez.

I was going to post this as is but couldn't do so without mentioning any specific pieces so I'm trying very hard to be decisive and concise but honestly i wanted to talk about every single one. I regret taking so long getting back here bc now I can't wax lyrical about each piece without this post becoming eight miles long.

SPOILER!!: somehow I kept it to 10
Republic of the Congo - I always love your pieces where you get so many colours into them, I won't ever deny it, but the way this one is just a few colours, one very bright, and framed through leaves which are also painted in a way I really enjoy looking at

Dominican Republic - what caught me here was the colours and light and shadows on the buildings for sURE, but also the trees in the background, with such a light touch, and those three main colours playing off of each other

Egypt - the colours in the sky grabbed me here for sure, but also the shadows behind and on those pyramids, and the texture of them, so so beautiful. I think that's a sunrise? you've captured it so well

Eswatini - the different colours in the trees work so well here, and the ink detailing where it appears. I kept going back to look at this one a lot, there's something about the style I find so appealing

France - I'm a huge fan of the way you do detailing especially in buildings but then you also do something like this and it is wicked enchanting, and such a pretty effect, the atmospheRE

Greece - the way you've got the reflections of colour and sunlight bouncing off the white is so pretty and very effective, and the whole thing is just super beautiful ugh

Iceland - ;; I say a lot about your use and application of colour so I'm not going to say it now, but it's heavily implied, but also this one made me feel things. it's a similar and yet in other ways very different vibe to what you do later with Norway, which also happens to make me feel things. it's the lonely looking buildings for me.

Israel - actually every piece in that same post caught my eye for similar reasons, this one especially cause it's that DOME that is just incredible, and the detailing in the building, I'm v taken by how you've painted the details just beneath the dome, but in all the pieces in that same grouping of paintings, your buildings are amazing. also stop incorporating light so well all the time, I keep wanting to talk about it

Namibia - I'm sorry I'm really trying to rein it in but what to heck this is incredible, there's the heat and the boldness of it that holds your attention but also the direction of the brush strokes have been used so effectively here, AND the contrast of it all, I. ugh.

Russia - your mastery of buildings *-* I feel like you might yell at me for calling it mastery but you should know I'll only say it again louder, the shapes you've captured here, and also I like it because of the way you've painted domes has evolved over time and in every single instance I am all kinds of impressed. I love love love the shadows on this one too

I am so sorry. no response to all that expected, i just really wanted to say it. you can smile and nod and focus on this next part instead:

looking at your art is such a treat and a comfort and brings a kind of serenity that I hope you also get from creating it. I'm mad at you for making me feel things though. also seeing how your style and skills have changed and progressed over time is so amazing and interesting and wicked cool. ugh. love it here. and you. I will not wait so long before posting again next time but even though I don't always have access to the words right away, I always always love to see what you've been working on

You are Chocolate!
Felixir is offline   Reply With Quote