View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
TakemetotheBurrow

DERP & DMLE

Grindylow

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Everleigh Evans
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Luca Benetti
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Emilia Espinosa
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Mariana Medina

x12 x7
elephant-astic•wanderlust•stay in the ninedaaays the original Taco Belle•look at the flowers✿

SPOILER!!: Individual Replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
Glow in the dark tattoos were ones Claudine was familiar with. Yes, she had been made aware of them after her trip to the tattoo shop in Diagon Alley with Ash. The magical time telling tattoos were not what she was familiar with. Colour her interested though. While listening to the other students, she made her notes. It didn’t take too long for her to complete that task. Once done, Claudine absently tapped her quill against the desk as she pondered the new questions.

Her hand, still holding the quill, went up. “Sometimes people want a permanent reminder about something. It can be a symbol or words that mean a lot to them. It can serve as their motivation. On the other hand, others may be opposed to tattoos because the dyes used in tattoos can cause allergic reactions to the skin.”
"These are great examples. Wanting a physical reminder of something or someone that means a lot to you is one of the biggest reasons I know for people to go through with getting a tattoo. As for allergies, that's an important thing to consider. Good." Neva added Miss Blaze's suggestions to the board before turning her attention to the next student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Lisa simply raised her eyebrows at V’s response to the Professor’s question and chose not to offer a question. She cast a quick look to Serena to see what she thought before focusing back on the lesson on the answers that her peers had offered. She did LOVE Serena’s answer and her mind went down a rabbit hole of imagination as she imagined what kind of things she could use a tattoo for. Secret code or message? How neat!!

A tattoo in some cultures, like the Maori people, can show social status and celebrate their heritage! It sounds painful though… I’m not sure if I could get one…. maybe a temporary one.

She wasn’t a fan of needles. Getting injections as a kind in the doctor’s office had been enough of an experience. There was one time that she had hidden underneath the table to avoid injection and doctor.
"This is another great point. Culturally, tattoos could be used to identify what tribe or community someone belonged to. They could also be used to showcase the person's role or identity within that group. Good." Neva smiled, understanding Miss Nam's hesitation. "Certain parts of the body can be more painful than others, yes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of Light View Post
Wait, so there are tattoos that are not permanent?? Valentina had no idea. Well, she is definitely getting a tiny one for sure then. In the future, obviously. She can definitely get on board with a tattoo that is non permanent.

"Well, one might choose to not get them because they are painful." SUPER painful, right?? Needles hurt!!
"You and Miss Nam seem to be on the same train of thought today," Neva said with a smile. "Pain is certainly one of the reasons people might not be so keen to get a tattoo. This is why temporary tattoos and forms of art through makeup or body paint are preferable to some."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelliephone View Post
Everyone had good points so far, and as each answered he looked at them wondering if they were interested in tattoos or trying to picture them with one. It was hard to see some of them, probably just because they were so young, but others he could. His sister? A small crown somewhere seemed fitting to him. Probably over a lightsaber. And Ash was clearly taken with the phoenix, which he wasn't surprised by at all. It was quite fitting for her.

Valentina raised a good point too though. It would be painful, especially depending on where it was placed. He heard anywhere on the bone was excruciating, while if there was extra layers of fat or maybe even muscle it would hurt a little less. Still something to consider.

He raised his hand to give another pro answer. "From a psychological standpoint, getting a tattoo can be an exercise of control from someone. Like a physical manifestation of them taking back their own life, like after trauma or repression." It was the same thing with piercings, and even dying hair as he'd heard before.
Well, Neva could honestly say she hadn't expected an answer like that from any of the kids. She was glad Mr. Nam brought it up, though. It was a pro answer. "I like your thinking. Getting a permanent tattoo is getting a permanent piece of art on your body and in a sense, it's a way to control how you look, who gets to see the tattoo, and what you're allowing others to takeaway from the tattoo you've gotten. I recall the excitement I felt when I was old enough to get a tattoo or pierce my ears without a parent or guardian around. It made me feel powerful."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaBlack View Post
Magic tattoos sounded like a lot of work. If she were to ever get one, she might have to opt for a static one because. Because she wouldn't want to worry about breaking the law by accident if she happened to go to a muggle shop or something. But these were worries for another day, even though some of her other classmates seemed to have lots of heated opinions about tattoos right now. What was the big deal? If you didn't want one then just don't get one, duh.

"Maybe someone wants one because they like how it looks," Kinsay added casually as she lowered her hand back down. There didn't have to be a big reason. "Like maybe it emphasizes a feature they really like on themselves or it just looks cool." She paused for a moment before another thought occurred to her. "Some brands like their models to be a certain way, maybe some places like their models to have tattoos because it matches their look." So really, it was kind of like having your ears pierced or pairing a scarf with an outfit. Kind of. Maybe she ought to start incorporating tattoos into some of her own sketches.
Neva nodded her head, a smile gracing her features. "Some people just like the tattoo aesthetic, it's true." The charms professor included, if she was being honest. "And if someone is getting tattoos beacause they make them feel good, then I think that's great. If they aren't down with the way tattoos make them look, I think that's okay too."

Quote:
Tattoos
-Evidence of tattoos can be found in almost all ancient cultures all over the world
-Earliest tattoos made from ink created by materials found in nature
-Tattoos are a form of self expression and can be meaningful or for fun
-Magical Tattoo Examples: Glow in the dark, move, tell time, warn of danger (Chakra tattoo), keep you morally in check (conscience tattoo)
-Spells and Potions can help to stop moving tattoos for a brief period of time
-Spies could use tattoos for communication purposes
-Tattoos are typically permanent, but they do have tattoos that are not
-Tattoos are wounds and should be cared for. Tattoo shops should be cleanly

Reasons for and against getting a tattoo:
For:
-Daily reminder of something meaningul
-Motivation
-Social Status
-Celebration of heritage
-Form of taking back control or ownership of your person, sense of power over something
-Aesthetic
-Way they call attention to certain features
Against:
-Allergic Reactions
-Pain factor
-Don't like the look
"I'm really impressed with your answers, everyone. Thanks for putting thought into them. As you can see, there are numerous reasons for and against getting tattooed, and not everyone is going to agree on this subject. However, what I like about art is that it doesn't have to be understood or approved of by everyone to have power and be meaningful. As long as you are taking something away from art, especially art you choose to permanently wear on your skin, I think it's a beautiful thing." And that was her two cents on the matter.

"Today we will be learning a spell that allows us only to temporarily mark our skin with a tattoo. The Tattoo Charm allows us to set ink to our skin for a period of time, the length of time depending entirely on the power and ability behind the spell. The incantation is Corius pronounce cor-i-us. To use this spell, you first use a marker or markers to create a picture on the skin. The colors you use are entirely up to you. Once you've done that, you take your wand, say the incantation, and trace the design you've created." Simple, yes? "Now there will be a slight burning sensation as the spell takes hold, but it's nothing more than what you might feel when holding your hands up to the fire for warmth." Certainly nothing to be afraid of and nothing that could hurt you. "Once done, you'll note that the ink has set into your skin and can not be smudged or wiped away. It'll fade as the spell's power fades, but until then you will have yourself a beautiful tattoo." Well, maybe that was being generous. Not everyone was a great illustrator, but you know..

"Your task for the remainder of class is to work alone or with a partner to practice this spell. Brainstorm ideas and think up a tattoo that might represent you in some way. It can be in words or picture form, whatever you like best. If you are not an artist, I don't mind if your partner takes on the drawing role, but I do want everyone to perform their own spellwork, please." Easy enough, yes? "Once you've come up with an idea and had it drawn on your skin, please use the spell to turn it into a tattoo."

"You'll find markers in all colors up here at my desk and you're welcome to use as many or as little as you like. There are also special wipes to help wipe away the ink before the spell is cast if you mess up your initial design. If you have any questions along the way, please raise your hand and I'll be along to help. Alright everyone, let's get started!"

Neva moved behind her desk and produced a box with all manner of markers inside, a rainbow of colors perfect for drawing something beautiful. Once that was done, she took a seat and waited for the fun to begin.

OOC: Hey friends! Main activity is up. Task is to come up with an idea, draw a tattoo on yourself (and/or your partner, if you'd like to do that) with a marker, and then perform the spell by saying the incantation and tracing your wand over the design! Please make sure all designs or sayings are SS appropriate! You'll have until the 29th to complete this activity so take your time, get creative, and have fun! Remember that if you actually attempt to draw it out and post it here, you must follow SS rules in relation to posting graphics!