View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 01:52 AM   #32 (permalink)
PhoenixRising

DMAC & DERP
Quintaped

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Amelia Adara
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emma Montmorency (#301199)
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Chloe Michelle Adara
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
TiaMarie Mancini
Ecological Protection

x12 x8
YesJess! | Captain Goggles | Mama Badger | Eva's Soul Sister | An OG™ | It's all in the Numbers

SPOILER!!: students! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Its so cool, Professor!” she began, taking a deep breath before she felt like jumping in to share everything she knew on the subject. OH. She forgot her name. “Lisa Nam, sir… sorry I get excited about math….” Her cheeks flushed BRIGHT red.

Lisa paused at his question as the Professor offered a theory that Hogwarts was like the number seven. She opened her textbook and flipped to the source material that he had recommended. Hmmm…

Seven represented analysis, research, solitude, wisdom, spiritual focus, investigative, mysticism, magic…..

Professor… I don’t think seven fits just right. I think a combination of numbers is more suited. Why can’t Hogwarts be represented by all three numbers of 1, 2, 4? Sure 7 is a facet of what Hogwarts is but Hogwarts represents a beginning for all of us and relationships and harmony… and structure.

And then they were moving on again.

Right her birthday.

January 13th 2093…
So that’d be 13 + 1 + 2 + 0 + 9 + 3
= 28?
= 10
= 1?

She blinked. Uhhhh…
He grinned when she stated her name for him. Lisa, right. That was easy enough to remember so he hoped. He nodded when she reiterated on what Violet had suggested about Hogwarts represented more by the individual numbers than the summation. He glanced over her shoulder at her calculations.

"You get the correct answer regardless it seems, this time, but make sure you're adding the single digits up, so the 13 should be 1+3. The total of the reduced digits is 19, which is still 1. How do you feel it's meaning measures up to your life so far?" He asked, because really the students knew themselves better at this point, as perceptive as he could be sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
Ash could count just fine, so she was feeling rather confident about finding her life path. But the more that she read, the more she was convinced there was a problem. “Professor, can you check my work?” She lowered her voice. “My birthday is May 3rd 2091, which I believe means I have life path number two. But that’s all about balance and peace. Am I doing it wrong, or is the universe trying to be ironic?” Or did none of these numbers mean anything??? Because while some of these life paths were accurate for her and some were a bit of a stretch, this was... more than a stretch. It was like, a cosmic joke. “Maybe it means that I’m inventing my own life path instead of doing what the math says I should do. Hm. That does sound like me. Either that or... I can’t count.”
He hurried over to Ashley next who had specifically called him over to have a look and he nodded at her. "It all checks out with your calculations, but I should remind you that your life path is an element that informs you of the road you will follow throughout your life. So it might seem like your life is chaotic now, but rest assured it's only a phase. It's through connecting and compromising with others that you'll find yourself at peace. You're young. Your path is just beginning."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaBlack View Post
Arithmancy was one of Kizzy's favorites so she usually tried her very best not to get distracted, but ... It was hard to pay attention in class when there was so much happening in her head. Why did life have to be so complicated all the time? She was trying SO hard to be uninvolved this year and there was STILL drama! At this rate, the best way to avoid it would be to live in the Great Lake with Sir Henry.

So that's what Kins was thinking about right now. Not Arithmancy.

Um, no offense, Professor. It wasn't anything personal. She usually loved this class.

So when question time was over (and only after Kins had spent it being uncharacteristically quiet), she took out some parchment to get started on the maths. She liked maths. Maybe that'd help her focus.

2066? Wow, Professor Robinson was ancient!
She was still only half-paying attention, her mind was absolutely elsewhere - so she absently flipped through her textbook as she looked for the pages about life path numbers. Maybe she had already passed them.
Did he notice the little James seemed distracted today? Absolutely! Did he also notice that her siblings didn't take Arithmancy? Yes indeed, he noticed that too. And also would have probably agreed with her assessment of him being ancient too (even if he was BARELY 40!).

He glanced at her parchment and then at the page she was now looking at ... "Uh... wrong page. We're looking at life path, not birth day numbers, which is connected though. Also, did you happen to notice that your life path number is special, as it's 22? One of the master numbers!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
Oh, professor Robinson. Little did you know that Claudien did not usually delve into depth with her answers. Doing so would mean a lengthier time in speaking which would in turn result in attention being longer than necessary on her by everyone. That was one of the things about being an introvert. “I guess? The beginning of a new chapter in one’s academic life perhaps.”

Arithmancy reminded her of Divination in one way: Claudine was slightly skeptical of both, though she was moreso of Divination. Anyway. A calculation of her Life Path number was something that could be done easily, which she set about completing:

Oh? Ash’s number was also 2? Claudine found that very neat. Reading to herself, the Slytherin snorted a bit as she came upon a particular bit: People with 2 Life Paths are extremely sensitive that they need to be careful not to become the world's doormat. “Yeah, right. I’m not sensitive. And should anyone try to wipe their feet on me…” Claudine thought in amusement. The rest of the meanings for number 2 sounded okay though.
His attention was drawn over to Claudine now who he wasn't sure if she was talking to herself or not, but he had a look at her calculations and shook his head. "Your life path is actually NOT a two, but if you notice the double digit before you reduced down a single digit is an eleven, which is one of the master numbers. Which means while the two life path may still apply, you've also got a separate interpretation specific to the eleven."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
Ollie thought this was simple enough. So let’s see. Her birthday was March 30th in the year 2093… so add these… the circle this. Okay drag this over here. She didn’t realize at the time but she had furrowed her eyebrows together really hard. She probably looked like she was having a hard time.

3+3+0+2+0+9+3=20
2+0=2

Done!
He glanced over at young Ollie next who was making faces and headed over to look over at her parchment. His own facial expressions might have mimicked hers (completely accidental), as he calculated and checked her work, nodding slowly. "Yes. Two. How do you feel about the textbook meanings?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelliephone View Post
Now they were calculating their own life numbers? He certainly liked the idea of being a seven, but that was out too much recollection of what all the others meant. He went ahead and wrote down his birthday on his sheet of paper in front of him, completing the calculation.

January 13th, 2091. Broken down, it gave him a life number of... 5.

Like Ash, he was now wondering if the universe was playing a prank on him as well. Pulling his book closer, he was looking to confirm if the number did mean what he thought it did. And it did. Change was a key component. Embracing change seemed to be even more so. And yet, he spent almost all of his time rejecting the idea of changes and losing people in his life for it. Maybe the universe was telling him that was the type of change he was destined for? A revolving door of people? The other one that primarily caught his eyes was physical touch, and he actually let out a snort at that one. His family and his close friends were the only ones who got hugs or any type of physical affection. He just... didn't like touch, considered it rude and uncomfortable for the most part. So that was off too. And as for resourceful and progressive thinking? He stuck by the book, didn't like to color outside the lines very much. And resourceful to him... that seemed to go hand in hand with creativity, another thing he had not much of.

Zero might have been alright. Or seven, if he was feeling generous.
He squinted over at the other Nam's calculations ... who had the same birthday as his sister, but a couple years apart? He couldn't help but wonder if it was planned or coincidental, but now was hardly an appropriate moment to discuss that matter. What did need discussing was the fact that his calculation seemed off somehow? "Uh... i think you've miscalculated somewhere. Make sure you add the single digits of the month, day and year." He'd tell him the answer he got, but going back to correct your own work was part of the learning curve, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddles View Post
So adding all the numbers in her birthday together?

She could do that.

She was born March 18th...in 2091. So... 3, and 18, and 2091. 18 added up to 9...and 2091 to 12...er...3. So 3, 3, and 9, that made 15...and then 6. Which was the same as Professor Robinson's. And he'd said...harmony? Community relations? Peacekeeping? That was confusing, so she flipped open her textbook to the explanation for Six.

But that didn't make sense either. Careers in the service industry? That was definitely wrong. She raised her hand. "Professor?? I think I did mine wrong, this doesn't make sense. It says I have the same number as you. But I'm no good at these things, nobody ever asks me for advice."
He smiled in amusement when the young Hufflepuff seemed to disagree with her numbers as well. "The number six is also about creating a work life balance. It's one related to giving and receiving. I don't know too much about the hogwarts houses, but I believe as a hufflepuff, you're a natural born giver... so your life path is suggesting you find that balance between giving and learning how to receive, which is just as important of a gift. As far as the advice thing, I believe that will come with time. I've heard you're quite the fair flyer, so perhaps your path will be one that offers advice and service in that regards." He explained patiently, hoping to help her see that there were different ways of interpreting the same number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyander View Post
Huh?!

Dahlia had done well with keeping up.. at first.

That was until there was lots of talk about staircases and numbers and meanings of numbers. How did a bunch of staircases tell them all what the school represented? It was rather confusing and honestly the more she listened, the more confused she became. So sorry but when that second question rolled around, Lia kept her mouth shut and her quill in hand. Just because she might not have a fully grasp of it all didn't mean she wasn't going to take very detailed notes. Maybe she would get a better understanding of it all later on when she was able to review things on her own time.

Right now, she had to focus. The lesson was moving on. Hopefully this part she would be able to make some sort of sense out of.. there wasn't anyway she could mess up when calculating her own birthday, right?

Seven. Seven. She had gotten seven. Double.. nope triple checking her work and still not sure if she was correct, Lia sat there quietly giving some thought to what she knew the number seven to mean. When that didn't satisfy her enough, she flipped open her textbook to the proper pages and read what was listed for the number SEVEN. And did it fit her.. maaaaaaaybe...
He strolled by Dahlia's desk and nodded approvingly at her calculations and notes. "Excellent work, good job. Any questions?" She hadn't asked anything, but that didn't mean anything. Perhaps she was more introspective and didn't want to share her thoughts unless prodded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
Violet flushed with pleasure at the professor's words about her answer. Though Arithmancy was one of her better subjects.

Then she got out her pencil and began on the next assignment--okay, her birthday...She wrote out the date on a scrap of parchment:

13 October 2088
1 + 3 + 1 + 0 +2 +0 +8 +8 = 21
21 = 3

Three! That sounded like a magical number. Violet looked back over her book again to remember the meaning for that number. Hmm..." Imagination, positivism, playfulness, creative expression, house elves/house elf magic, complex thought"...She looked over at another section of the book: "Three: Joyful Self Expression--Creative, optimism, gift with words, enthusiasm, wit, ease, animated, imaginative, dramatic, emotional, self-expression, charity, generosity"

Well, some of that seemed like what Violet thought of herself--she certainly like the idea of being imaginative and creative, and she liked to think she had wit and a gift with words--at least, written down on the page. She wasn't too sure about optimistic or dramatic, and she didn't really feel she was particularly generous--though...maybe she ought to start trying to be.

Then a thought occurred to her--was the ten for October supposed to be added one plus zero, as she'd done it, or as ten? Because if the latter, it changed the number entirely, to a total of 29 = 11 = 1! But...no, it must be one and zero, that's the way you broke up the other numbers. Violet knew that! Her thinking was getting muddled again--she wished she could just slap that Healer Poppy for inflicting this on her!
Was it wrong if he wanted to go research all these students born on the 13th of the month to find out specifically what day of the week they were born? Perhaps he'd have another lesson discussing the days of the week and what it meant, but for now, he had a lesson to finish and they were running short on time. He was making a confused face at Violet's desk, however, because he wasn't sure how she miscalculated but it seemed off. "I think ... you've maybe missed a digit in your addition. It doesn't seem ... quite right."

Right, uh, they should probably keep moving along though and wrap up this portion of the lesson. "So uh, the life path number is a simple enough number to calculate, but you still need to be diligent in making sure you calculate correctly. Also, I hadn't mentioned it before, but perhaps I should have since there were a couple of you with special numbers that when you reduced down a single digit, the number directly before you made your final reduction is 11 or 22, which has its own special meaning, as they are master numbers. There's also a third master number of 33, but it's not possible to total this for the life path number."

"Also, there's debates over why sometimes it doesn't quite seem to fit and that's because the life path is a number that we're growing into and honing as we develop our skills and talents. It's something that is meant to be a guide, not necessarily an end all, be all." He hoped that made some sort of sense and offered clarity.

"Your life path is only one component of your numerological profile. We’re not going to calculate the rest right now, but I do want you to think about just this number and if you feel it adequately represents your talents and abilities in your life so far? While you could change your name due to a variety of circumstances, your birthday is absolute. The birthday is also a useful tool in identifying your own strengths and weaknesses, but also of famous people. Let’s look at a tool called the arrows of pythagoras"

"So for this, you need to look at how many times each number appears in your birthday and then determine if there are positive, negative, or zero arrows present. Write on the top of your grid paper, your name and your birth date. For the arrows of pythagoras, we use a 3x3 grid which fits the numbers 1-9 within it. Starting in the bottom left corner and working bottom to top and left to right we end up with a grid like so." He flicked his wand and the grid appeared on the board.

"The top row relates to the mental plane, the middle row relates to the emotional plane and the bottom row relates to the physical plane. Now, with that grid you have the starting point and the reference for finding your personal arrows. Your birthdate is the numbers that you will use to fill out your grid. So using my birthday of February 8, 2066..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboard

__6 ___
2 ___8
______

"So I actually have three arrows of negativity present, which are essentially weaknesses that I work towards on the daily basis to improve myself." Merlin, this was definitely opening himself up and making himself vulnerable, which he supposed was a good thing? "So in addition to your own birthdays, I'd like you to look at the arrows present, or lacking, in some famous people from history. Pick at least one of the following individuals and determine their arrows of pythagoras. How do you feel it matches up with the life they led? The struggles they had to overcome?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboard
Hermione Granger (September 19, 1979)
Ron Weasley (March 1, 1980)
Harry Potter (July 31, 1980)
Neville Longbottom (July 30, 1980)

ooc: Main activity time!!! Arrows of Pythagoras! So for full credit, you need to look at your own character's arrows but also minimum of ONE of other character's arrows. Interpret the arrows as best you feel able. You may choose from any of the characters I listed OR another person from history, which CAN be from our SS RP Canon, if you'd desire / your character is aware of them . They just should have some sort of "famous" status. Lesson will close on Sunday the 26th.

______________So much is happening to me. So much that I can't even see.
So many words of wisdom that I am trying to be. It'll be in my own time.