View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 04:06 AM   #56 (permalink)
Felixir

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aurelio Kaiser
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

It would have been rude, and probably unprofessional to facepalm, so Kamran didn't. But, on every level except physical, that was what was happening. A spiritual facepalm. Connolly had momentarily taken her eyes off the skies, it seemed, only to make contact with the Blaze tornado. The result was fairly predictable.

The net was still very much in place below, so Kamran was not quite as concerned by Connolly falling as he was by the second smack to the face from her broom, but he instinctively sent a slowing charm after her all the same, having heard her fear quite plainly. Then there was Blaze, still spinning until... ah, there. "Not a problem, Miss Blaze," he said bracingly, hopefully encouragingly. "Happens to the best of us." And he was proud, too, that she had corrected the issue by her own steam. But... yes, he had another Slytherin to check on.

Somehow, during all this, Kamran hadn't failed to note that Nam, Evan was discovering exactly what he'd touched upon earlier, the difficulties in overlapping broom mechanics. Everything had happened a little too fast for him to say for sure whether the ultimately successful loop had been all that intentional but, either way, it was a step in the right direction.

Fox, too, continued to make progress, from what Kamran could tell as she zipped around in pursuit of one of the purple lights. He wasn't too surprised she'd chosen one of those, nor that she was doing a reasonably good job with it.

As usual, Jones had got right down to it, with the kind of focus and determination Kamran had come to expect from him - and not a bad attempt either. When Kamran looked over at him again to check his progress, he caught the tail end of that look towards Blaze, before the boy was off again.

But also. There it was again, that grin from Flamsteed, the one Kamran wasn't sure he ought to be nervous about or not. He had his eye on that boy, if for no other reason to make sure he didn't start skydiving his way back to the net again, with or without another collision. Not that he especially distrusted him, but some kids reacted to adrenaline the way others reacted to sugar, and... well...

At any rate, he returned the boy's thumbs up with a single-handed version, pleased to note he'd made it through his fall apparently unscathed.

_____

Kamran, now hovering just above the net, blasted a loud, shrill note on his whistle. "Gather round, everyone." He glanced skywards briefly, pleased to note the timing had worked out as he'd hoped and meticulously planned. "You're all making good progress - this move isn't easy, but all I ever ask is that you try. Don't worry too much about mistakes; that's just how we learn. I will say, though sometimes it's easiest to master these tricks without overthinking them, always try to remain mindful of your surroundings." Very, very important, especially moving on. Should he move on? He should probably move on.

Kamran drew his wand, summoned up a box from some tucked away corner, and opened it up to reveal a selection of jars, each of which was glowing either pink or orange, and began handing them out arbitrarily. "Now, a little game. The jar I give you will determine your team - either pink, or orange, also marked with a P or an O. Each has an attachment, so they can be fixed to the handle of the broom." He demonstrated with a glowing pink jar on his own broom, before removing it again. "I'll be releasing more light orbs, and the training area will get a little darker. I want each of you to catch as many lights as you can, and the team with the highest combined total at the end will be the winners."

What would they win? Glory. Bragging rights. Nothing more or less; he was banking on their cooperation here, or some pure and simple competitive natures. "Just as before, I'd like for you to follow a light until you complete a loop-the-loop behind it - only then will it let you catch it. Once the loop is completed, the light will slow down enough to be touched by the jar, and in doing so will be caught."

Another wave of his wand, and Kamran sent the promised lights up into the air, now in a myriad of colours, so it was nothing short of a rainbow light show up there. The effect was only intensified when he dimmed the lights even more - still not full dark, still safe enough for beginners to fly, and yet still far removed from the brightness of a fully lit training area, and for the colourful orbs to stand out. Around the perimeter, the boundaries of the area remained gently but clearly lit up, to avoid confusion in semi-darkness.

"All the lights orbs are worth one point each, but some will be more challenging to catch than others." It was more or less random, but they'd figure it out as they went "Remember, keep alert to what's around you, but try not to panic if you fall. The net is here, I am here, and many of you have been taught strategies for falling in the past." All things considered, the kids probably could have used more practice in being aware of their surroundings, but... well, they were here now. The lesson plan had the final word.

He gave another blast of the whistle. "Off you go." And then, where was that Slytherin? "Miss Connolly, I'd like to check you're in good shape to continue before you do anything else."

OOC: Apologies if the chronology of this post is a little jarring but I got unwell at the worst time and I am thinking through wet cement. Main activity time. To clarify/some additional notes:
- You can choose which team your character is on - pink or orange - just try to keep the team numbers balanced
- The green lights are still the easiest, and the purples are still a challenge, but the rest have no rhyme or reason to them - every light is worth a single point
- The lights cannot be caught until a flyer has been led on a successful loop behind them; at this point, they will slow down, and can be touched by the jars and caught
- It's not totally dark, but not brightly lit either; enough for the lights to stand out but not enough for visibility to be ~dangerously~ compromised (the orbs provide extra light too)
- Please title your post with your team and how many lights your character has captured altogether so far
- You can do this activity in as many or as few posts as you like
Please do ask for clarification if anything is unclear. I'll be posting throughout, and Kamran will be watching. I'll be wrapping up around 1am BST on 24th September. Have fun!

You are Chocolate!