View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
astrocat
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe Calypso [s]Dupont[/s]
Slytherin
Second Year
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?

SPOILER!!: Nem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
Bold of Fox to assume Nem was calling after a pet in that corridor. As it happened, they did have a pet with the same name as Rosier, but he'd seldom been seen out in the open. Just as likely that the ghost of the Big Man was furtively roaming these halls, secretly indoctrinating malleable students along with his merry band of phantom cultists.

They were dead set on following Schrödinger's Lucien, but stopped to look back at the sound of their name. The student they'd passed, it turned out, was Fox. Fox, who could probably do with picking a lane sooner or later. One day she was joining their train compartment and talking and talking and talking in a misguided attempt to irritate them, another day it was 'Will you vanish my bread, Upstead?' Another day still, all but cheering them on while they stole school property, and now 'you ruined my life'.

Facing Fox head on, Nem turned their head slightly, still listening for something back the other way even as they spoke. "How did I ruin your life."

It was hard to know exactly what she felt about Upstead. Sometimes they were antagonizing her for the fun of it, sometimes they were being nice to people she cared about, sometimes they were doing things she agreed with. But no, it was true- they had ruined her life. And it was very confusing that they were so likable. Sometimes Ash considered forgiving them. But that was only when she was weak. She tapped her fingers on the ground. One, two, three, four, five... five, four, three, two one. “I can’t look in mirrors because of you, and that means no driving, or knowing what I look like, or weird stupid funhouses that make you look short. And possibly no patronus, which is what I’m failing to do right now, thanks for asking. I also have nightmares about you... and you’re so interesting and likable that I sometimes forget that I hate you.” HOW was that even possible? She remembered that potions class perfectly. There wasn’t any part of it that she had missed. She thought about being trapped in a mirror all the time, and she thought about them too. Nemesis Upstead and the mirror. They were all tangled together. “I know I was being stupid when I got trapped in that mirror and it was mostly my fault, but do you even feel bad about it? You don’t have to regret it. But have you ever even thought that maybe, it was kinda, possibly, a little-tiny-bit sad regardless of whose fault it was?”

Well? Had they?