View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Felixir

Book Club Mod

Alley Proprietor

MO & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Charlie Upstead
Gryffindor
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aurelio Kaiser
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daxton Prince
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Nikolai Kaiser
Minister's Office

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ezekiel Ransom-Kruus
Ollivanders
x12 x12
Lovely™ | Captain Hurted | Ariana's Bane | Resident Antagonist | Unparalleled Delight

SPOILER!!: Ash
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocat View Post
Ash tilted her head. “You didn’t say anything about fire, but you said that I could destroy it.” She paused. “Fire is the best way to destroy writing. Journals aren’t like mirrors. You can’t just throw them and have them break.” You could tear them up, but shreds could be pieced back together. She’d done that with a journal that Father had once, out of curiosity. She’d learned some things that she wished she could forget, about Brandon and the rest of her family. So shredding was not a great method of destruction. You could eat the paper instead, but that didn’t taste good. Fire was pretty permanent, and it was fun! The perfect option. So destruction of writing = fire was not a big logical leap. Neither was destruction of anything = fire. Ash had the burns to prove it. If you asked her how she would destroy something, nine out of ten times she’d pick fire.

Maybe that was something that other people wouldn’t understand.

She considered Amir. He could be a pain when he wanted to be? Maybe Ash wasn’t like a cat. She was a pain all the time. But maybe there were cats like that too.

Ash had a burning(haha) question, but she kept her eyes on the cat. Because she liked cats. And also because she didn’t want Kazmi to see that the question was important. She scratched at a cut on her knee. She shifted in her seat. She tapped her painted nails on the chair. But burning questions tended to consume you if you didn’t ask them, soooo... “Where did you hear I was an artist from?” Because it hadn’t been very long, and she hadn’t painted her arms yet. How would he know?

“I like that Amir supposedly likes me.” She liked being liked. She didn’t like being hated. She liked being herself. She didn’t like being not herself. People seemed to like her better when she wasn’t herself. That wasn’t fair. Life wasn’t fair. She knew that already.

"I'm saying it now," Kamran replied, firmly but not unkindly, in a tone that brooked no further argument. "No fires other than in a fireplace, please, or with a staff member's permission." What happened outside of term, off of school grounds, was outside the jurisdiction of Hogwarts staff, but he made sure not to point that out. Fox likely knew, and reiterating the point might be perceived as encouragement.

As for the art. "Professors notice things, Miss Fox, and we talk, and we listen, even if it's not always obvious." It was important, as educators, to attempt to understand the students as much as they could, sometimes just for something as simple and yet as integral as discussing learning styles and teaching strategies; Kamran was often a part of these conversations, despite the fact that his own lessons were not classroom-based. Plenty of his colleagues had been teaching here long before he had, and had had plenty of time to make these observations. Not to mention (and this he supplied because he knew his initial answer was unlikely to suffice), "I heard a student mention you had asked to draw their portrait. If the art is supposed to be a secret, I'm afraid it's a fairly poorly kept one."

Thank Merlin for Amir. Wasn't that always the way. Kamran watched the two for a moment before speaking again. "You're welcome to come and visit him again, if you like. I'm sure he'll keep proving it to you." That word - 'supposedly' - it hadn't gone unnoticed.

SPOILER!!: Mamie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddles View Post
Both? Both was good. Mamie beamed at the suggestion. She still liked the idea of being...sort of...kind of...barely like her brother as a Keeper, but she knew there was only one keeper to a team, and three chasers. So being Keeper was more competitivebut also maybe more fun? She wasn't coming to any conclusions here. Kazmi's idea to work on common skills was obviously a good one, so she nodded eagerly. "That's smart," she said with a smile. "I'll do that."

She heard his comment about Quidditch Keeper being different than a football goalkeeper, but didn't really process it. She wanted to be like her brother.

"Okay, yes, brainstorming," she nodded. Was she a bobblehead? She felt like one. "But first, broom surfing?" On Tuesday. She could get good at broom surfing and then do another skill. She jumped up. They had a plan. Broom surfing Tuesday, then more Quidditch skill brainstorming...some other time.

Mature adult that he was, Kamran did not point out that, yes, it was smart, because he made a point of saying smart things wherever possible, even though it was true. But he definitely thought it.

"First, broom surfing. I'll stick it in my schedule," he said instead, with an air of finality given it seemed the meeting was about over. "We'll meet on Tuesday and go from there. Is that all for today?" In the meantime, no reason he couldn't have a think about other ways Turov could train and prepare, cover the bases she might not have considered so far.

You are Chocolate!