Thread: The Boathouse
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
astrocat
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe Calypso [s]Dupont[/s]
Slytherin
Second Year
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?

SPOILER!!: Devin who Likes to Draw Dragons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post

Devin listened closely to Ash. It was unlikely that they would be able to avoid Emmerson altogether for their remaining four and a half years at Hogwarts, but he could understand Ash’s desire to do so. He wasn’t friends with Emmerson but given that they were in the same house and year it was inevitable that at least some of his friends and acquaintances would be friends with her, as much as he wanted to completely remove all mention of Emmerson from his social circles. Trying to force Ash to be friends with Emmerson was really over the line. That showed blatant disregard for Ash’s feelings. And what did Ash need to apologize for? From his understanding, if anyone needed to apologize it was Emmerson. ”That must have felt invalidating of your feelings and traumatic experiences.” Things in the past could absolutely still hurt you. That was all he was going to say on the subject if Ash didn’t want to talk more about it.

Based on Ash’s description of the art, he could guess exactly why Cambridge was on it and it had everything to do with the mirror and overwhelming things. What Cambridge had done was part of the torture Ash had experienced for being muggleborn. Rosier may not be here anymore, but the psychological scars remained. Cambridge had the potential to rip those wounds open again, maybe already was every time Ash saw her. ”Sounds like it was a very self-reflective work. I’m sorry about how Mamie didn’t like it and how things turned out.“ What was that about Mamie not liking anything Ash did anyway? Seemed like an odd way for someone who had supposedly been Ash’s best friend to behave.

”Yeah. That’s the great thing about art. There’s no wrong way to do art, just areas to improve technique so you can realize a vision.” Constructive art critique was often a good thing. Entirely different from just saying you didn’t like someone’s art. ”A lake impressions series sounds like a great idea. Maybe over time through different seasons you’d end up with a set that has mostly the same features, but has different colors from the different lighting and weather patterns and it would look really cool when you look at them all together.”

”I like that idea.” Devin grinned. ”Best friends living our best lives having fun doing art together.” Of course he wouldn’t say mean things about Ash’s art. This was something beautiful and special, this friendship.

"Yeah."

Ash took a smooth stone from her pocket and tossed it into the water. It made a distant splash. "I didn't even say Cambridge was evil or that I hated her or that I want to hurt her. I... I only said she was stressful, overwhelming. She suffocates all my happiness... all the time. Why is that so hard to believe?" Ashley Fox had the right to be stressed out by Emmerson Cambridge. The girl was dramatic, and had definitely tried to kill her. It didn't matter that she was nice to Mamie. Upstead was nice to some people. That changed nothing. She took a shaky breath. "Maybe it's my destiny to be sad forever and only have about ten people who care about me." She paused, and then shook her head forcefully. "I take that back, because I don't believe in destiny and the universe can't tell me what to do." She'd take her own path. She'd be happy one day. She didn't have to do what the universe wanted... she... she didn't have to give in. Mamie wouldn't change that. Ash wouldn't let her change that... she wouldn't. She would not.

It might have seemed as if Ash had never even liked Mamie in the first place. That was far from the truth. But... Ash had become good at ignoring her feelings. If Mamie didn't care about her, then fine. Ash could live without her.

Besides, she had Devin. And Devin seemed to care about her feelings.

"I guess the art isn't totally lost. I could hang it up as is, and call it 'It's Still Unfair in Love and War' or 'The Accident' or something dumb like that. And I could be stuck up and when people say "what's THAT supposed to be?", I can look at them judgmentally and say "it's art."" It wasn't very funny, what she was saying. In fact, she was on the verge of tears. But there was something utterly ridiculous about taking an accident and claiming it was purposeful... taking a tragedy and calling it art... pretending to be an acclaimed artist when you're really just a kid who a lot of people hate. It was funny, in Ash's opinion anyway. So she giggled, and then she laughed, and she didn't care if Devin saw the humor or not. There was always something funny during horrible situations. Either Ash could cry about her art being ruined, or she could laugh about it. And she chose to laugh.

"You can always improve your art, but there's so much room for style and emotion and opinion. There's a lot of good art there, and it's all so different." She stared dreamily off into the distance. "When I'm an adult, I'm going to put art all over the walls of my mansion. Father doesn't have art hanging, you know. Except for a portrait of my mother." Ash was gonna have art everywhere. And if other people didn't like that, too bad! You could do whatever you want if you had money and stubbornness. Father said that... there seemed to be a recurring theme with all of his 'lessons'.

"I'm gonna get the sky in all of my lake portraits too. And then that would help illustrate the passage of time." And she could do self portraits too, so that she would show how she got older. That would be cool.

"We can be the most bestest friends. Devin who Likes to Draw and Ashley who Likes Art." She grinned. Alliteration. Hah. Did Devin like to draw dragons? She hoped so. That would be even better alliteration. "And we'll never betray each other because we can't be friends if we betray each other. And we'll also not say mean things behind each others' backs!" 'Cause they were best friends, get it? The real kind. Not the fake kind. Duh.