Thread: The Boathouse
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
astrocat
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe Calypso [s]Dupont[/s]
Slytherin
Second Year
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?

SPOILER!!: One of the best best friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
SPOILER!!: Best friend!

Devin listened to Ash, paying close attention to her words and body language. ”So Mamie doesn’t understand how much Emmerson hurt you and didn’t listen to how you felt about that?” Death threats and blood-purist slurs were no joke, and real friends cared when people deeply hurt you instead of trying to convince you to let it go. He had heard things about what Emmerson had tried to do to Ash and to other muggleborn kids, and he fully believed what he had heard about her wanting the muggleborns she didn’t like to die. Emmerson Cambridge was a monster child. She was self-centered and a dramatic liar. Even when he tried to be nice to Emmerson he could tell how disinterested she actually was in anything he said about himself. He wasn’t one to pick a fight and he tried to be as polite as he could to Emmerson, but he had very few genuinely positive thoughts about her. Honestly, the biggest reason he tolerated Emmerson Cambridge as much as he did was because she was so close to Kinsay and Kinsay was nice. Also he had to be in the same classes and live in the same tower as Emmerson. Given the opportunity, he would gladly defend Ash against Emmerson. ”You don’t owe anything to that living reminder or Rosier’s reign of terror. If you want to talk about it I’m here to listen but if you don’t want to talk more about that I’d be more than happy to talk about something else or do some art together.”

Devin looked down at the crumpled piece of paper. ”Do you want to tell me about what it was?” Ash was great at art and he didn’t get why Mamie would insult Ash’s art. All things considered the Emmerson thing was a bigger red flag to him, but the art thing still sounded quite upsetting.

Devin smiled when he heard Ash refer to him as her best friend. It was bittersweet knowing that Ash had just ended a friendship with another one of her best friends, but it felt validating to know that Ash felt the same way about their friendship. It was always awkward when you thought you were friends with someone but they had more friends than you and just thought of you as more of an acquaintance. ”Yeah, we’re best friends, you and me.” He cared a lot about Ash. More than he cared about trying to be nice and friendly to every single person. Sometimes being a good friend meant taking a stand and doing things that not everyone would like.

He was happy doing art and talking with Ash by the lake. ”It’s a good day for doing art by the lake. I like painting with watercolor. For me the hardest part of lake landscapes is getting the lighting and reflections on the water just right.” Water was hard to paint in a way that looked real. But not all art was about things looking real. Sometimes art was based on real things but purposely stylized in a way that didn’t look real, and sometimes art didn’t depict real life things at all but rather an idea or an emotion or a really weird dream.

Ash sighed. ”It’s really easy to be my friend, you know. I’m sure that at least half of my friends like Upstead or Cambridge more than me. But I’m still their friend- maybe I shouldn’t be. But like, I just want to be left alone and have Cambridge never talk to me again.” She put her head in her hands. “I don’t understand why Mamie would tell me to give her a second chance. I thought she was my friend. Something about the incident being in the past, I guess. I kinda drew the line there, because I’m not going to forgive Emmerson and anyone who disagrees with that can leave.” Yeah. People who were friends with Emmerson were kinda pushing it, but Ash didn’t tolerate any ‘friends’ who thought she was being irrational about hating Cambridge. She had to draw the line somewhere.

”I don’t really wanna talk about it, if that’s okay. I just wanna move on with my life and never hear the name Emmerson mentioned ever again.” She just wanted to be left alone. So that she could do art and stuff.

“It was a girl staring in a mirror surrounded by overwhelming things, and there was one exit path but she couldn’t find it. And Mamie didn’t like it because it was supposed to provoke thought. Which I didn’t really care about because she doesn’t like anything I do anyway, but then she asked why Cambridge was on it. And she knew why but didn’t think it was a valid reason, and you can guess what happens next.” Yeah. Tears. Blood. Anger. Bitter disappointment. Fighting. You know, just that normal everyday stuff.

It was funny to Ash that Mamie was mostly mad because Ash wouldn’t let her hug her. Because why would she let Mamie hug her after what Mamie said? It was like Ash’s feelings were being invalidated.

Woah. Who could have guessed.

Well, Ash wasn’t going to talk about people who hurt her like that. They were dead to her, and Ash had never really missed the dead. Why should she? Death was a natural part of life. Just like conflict and betrayal was a natural part of friendship.

She’d talk about art instead.

“I agree. I think the light is really hard. But sometimes I just give the ideas. I paint some blue and call it a lake because it is one according to me. It doesn’t have to be realistic.” Wasn’t art great? It was so subjective. It could be whatever you wanted. You didn’t need someone else’s validation.

“I should do a series where I paint the general impressions of the lake every day. And you can’t see the details but you can see the colors.” That would be cool. And maybe nobody else would like it, but it didn’t matter what they thought.

“We can be best friends who do art together and don’t say mean things about each other’s art.” Because really, was there any better sort of best friend to have?

Last edited by astrocat; 07-01-2021 at 01:45 PM.