Thread: Music Classroom
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
astrocat
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe Calypso [s]Dupont[/s]
Slytherin
Second Year
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallNIP View Post
Quinn smiled and nodded. He was glad that Ash agreed with him. She was really cool when she wasn't scary. He hummed when she brought up Venus flytraps. "I've seen some around the greenhouses, and they seem alright... I kinda feel bad for the buggies, though. Why can't they just produce their own food, like a regular plant? Why do you have to hurt something else when you could just... not?" he frowned. Quinn hated unnecessary violence. There were some people he wanted to punch, though. He probably wouldn't. Probably. But he thought that you should only resort to violence when you have no other option (or in some very specific cases when someone deserved it because they're terrible-horrible and you hate them).

Quinn's mouth made an O as he nodded. "Ohhh so that's how that stuff started. Yes, I remember that whole debacle... vividly." He had almost gotten killed because Eden was so mad at Emmerson. Nose sardines. Amendment to his previous statements: only commit violence against the terrible-horribles if you're in a position where you probably won't get killed for it.

And then Nem was brought up and Quinn's face soured. The terrible-horrible in question. "They don't deserve to be painted, I don't think." Quinn was still unsure why Ash was hanging around them.... they were the reason she got trapped in a freaking mirror, right? So... that made no sense to Quinn. She should hate them more than even he did. "I... I didn't know you had a photographic memory, though." Quinn pushed through his bitterness to keep the conversation going. He didn't need to be on Ash's bad side—again, kinda scary sometimes.
Ash might never be cool in Quinn's eyes then- because she was almost always scary. In different ways too. Sometimes, it was "oh no is Ash going to kill me". Sometimes, it was "oh no is Ash gonna die right now?" But it was almost always scary.

"I think it's because of the soil. Venus Flytraps maybe aren't able to only exist on the soil they grow in, I guess it's not nutritious enough."
Ash didn't feel too bad for the bugs. Yes, they were living and dying, but so was everyone else. It was the natural world. It was nothing more than a starving cheetah catching an antelope that was lagging behind. "They also evolved so that they wouldn't eat too many pollinators, because the flower of the plant is far away from the trap. Well, I think that's how it works." Something like that. Despite seeming to know everything, Ash did not, in fact, know everything.

But she did remember almost everything that had happened to her at Hogwarts, aside from being possessed. And there was magical influence on that. A thing she did remember? Being called a mudblood by Cambridge. "We hung out, talked about music. I told him I wanted to start a charity. It was cool, except for the part where I got into a physical altercation with Cambridge and decided to avoid him. Heard you and Eden almost died somehow. Congratulations to the two of you on not dying. And making sardines fall out of Cambridge's nose." Because that was great. And she was impressed that someone would do that for her. Loyalty was a rare trait.

Ash understood why Quinn didn't like Nem. Yep, she definitely did. Maybe better than anyone else. But... they were so calm, all the time, that it was hard to be upset. Of course, if they suddenly decided to give her more trauma, she would me more mad. But for now, she was exhausted. She was tired of thinking about what they did all the time. Cambridge was a different story. Ashley Fox would hate Emmerson Cambridge quite possibly for the rest of time, and she would never get tired of it. Nemesis Upstead traumatized her more than anyone else ever had, but she could tolerate talking to them. Sometimes she even thought she related to them. She could not relate to Cambridge at all. "It's alright, if it's only from memory. I like to paint people even if I don't like them. There's only one person I don't wanna ask. Well, two. Well, three. I refuse to paint healer Poppy or Lucien Rosier. But other than that, only one person." Sorry, but Nemesis Upstead did not have the #1 spot on the enemies list. They could get most of the perks, like passive-aggressive conversation and knowing that you messed up someone's whole life, but they didn't get the grand prize of retaliation. Yet. Ash had never quite felt the need to ruin their relationships (if they had any) or get them punished or expelled. "Only three people I can't stand painting."
Only three, not four.

And there was a reason why Quinn didn't know about her memory. "I used to not have as good a memory, but I had two or so months where remembering was the only thing I was able to do. And I needed it... to like remember who I was and what I was fighting for, spells I'd learned, when my birthday was, who my friends were, what my name was... y'know, that kinda stuff. But I don't need it to exist anymore, and I kinda wish is would magically go away now." Sometimes remembering who you were and what you were fighting for felt like it did more harm than good. There were only two things that made it worth it: love for her friends, family, and boyfriend, and rage. Getting back at the memory of Rosier was fun. Unhealthy, but fun. And even when she forgot who her friends were, she could always count on remembering her enemies. Always and forever.