View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
astrocat
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Brandon Fox
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe Calypso [s]Dupont[/s]
Slytherin
Second Year
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?

SPOILER!!: the person being deceived
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
Kamran nodded, and scooted himself in under the desk. Door closed, fine with him too. He shot a glance at Amir, who had taken the opportunity to cat-loaf on the desk. "I think he appreciates that. His name's Amir." As though voice-activated by his own name, the cat began to purr loudly. Kamran half rolled his eyes and ignored him, focused instead on Fox.

"So," he repeated, clasping his hands together on the desktop, and eyeing the student with a look that was not stern, nor concerned, nor unconcerned. Just a look of consideration. "You're not in any trouble. I just wanted see how things are going, given how the session at the lake ended the other day." Given other things too, but that was not really Kamran's wheelhouse, he was no therapist; he'd also not even been here last term, but he'd been present at the lake, and it would be remiss of him to ignore what had occurred. "I understand you're unlikely to trust a new face at the school, and I'm not asking you to, but I did want to check in with you, at least."

"Hi Amir." Ash had never quite been an animal person (although she loved her pets). But if there was one animal she could really relate to, it was cats. Absolutely cats. Ash was 100% a cat person. She half-wondered if Amir the cat would sit by her. Probably not. Whatever. The cat and the professor were both slightly comforting presences, so she didn't even cross her arms and give off super tense body language. Only slightly tense body language.

Great. This meeting started out with 'you're not in trouble'. On the one hand, it was annoying to start with, and he really did sound like a concerned bodyguard. On the other hand, if she was in trouble, this meeting could become highly unstable. So it was... possibly a good thing to start with, even if it was slightly condescending and assumed that she didn't know she wasn't in trouble. And assumed that she cared either way. But ANYWAYS, she was concentrating. Yup. They were talking about that one time she yelled stuff and ran off, correct? Well, she didn't really feel like saying the truth in what happened sooo..."I'm fine. Not mad at Gemma or whatever for throwing stuff at me. That's relatable. I'm only mad at the universe and the government. I just, y'know- flying projectiles have the tendency to make my fight or flight overreact. Or whatever. And y'know, my natural fight tendency is to scream defiant stuff, and my flight tendency is to hide. Really, more like a fight AND flight mechanism." It was a joke, that she did not laugh at. It was more of a distraction than anything. Designed to steer the conversation away from her saying that she regretted nothing and everything she said was something she believed.

blah blah blah, it's okay if you don't put your faith and trust in me, blah blah blah. Whatever. "Don't worry about it. You have no less trust than anyone else. At least you get to start with a clean chalkboard." And yes, she knew that it was a clean slate, but that was another joke for distracting, so that Mr. flying professor would hopefully miss the actual meaning of what she was really saying, which was that she trusted him just as little as she trusted everyone else. Except for Healer Poppy, of course. She definitely trusted him more than Healer Poppy. Why? Because he didn't bring a loudspeaker up to the great hall to yell 'TELL EVERYONE YOUR TRAUMA AND THEN GET OVER IT'. She could give him that. He had asked for a personal meeting, and said meeting was not announced for the whole school to hear and gossip about. At the very least, Ash could respect that. Another bonus of them not knowing each other was that she didn't even resent him yet! Congratulations! Even though he replaced Aguilar. That probably wasn't his fault.

Bottom line was, Ash was totally fine. She had just felt overwhelmed and snapped and said things that she didn't mean. It would not happen again. That was the official story anyway. Erase her of guilt without making people worried about her sanity/safety/whatever. Because she didn't really wanna be hated, but she didn't wanna be pitied either. This explanation had a good balance of 'oopsies I just lost control' and 'don't worry I'm fine.'

The reality was, Ash HAD lost control. But she meant everything she said. She just didn't mean to say it out loud.

Ash wondered if they had files on every time she lost control at this school. They probably did. Maybe he could see patterns somewhere. It didn't matter though. For the time being, she was sticking to this story.