View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 02:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fireheart

DMT & DMLE
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
Japser Cohen
Magical Creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
Once Varma met their eyes, she was more or less locked in; Nem did not look away, just kept their gaze fixed on her, unflinching, unabashed. The smile was long gone, their expression now completely neutral. "Not so clear, I agree, but no less true," they pointed out, in a tone of casual politeness. "Although... which actions are you referring to, exactly?" Nem would not deny having done anything untoward last term, far from it, but some things ought to be addressed, even if it was just with this one professor, now that they had a duty-bound audience. "If you're implying I had any kind of influence over Lucien Rosier's actions, I'm afraid you've got it backwards. If I had, last year would not have gone the way it did."

It was probably not worth pointing out - at least not yet, or in so many words - that no students did die as a result of their actions, and therefore it was pointless to get all hung up on the matter. In any case, right now Nem was zeroing in on the professor's lack of interest in answers, in knowing. They didn't understand, they couldn't understand. They'd figured the students here would not be at all interested in associating with them anymore, but Nem had assumed there would nevertheless be more questions fired at them, not less. Loathe as they were to admit it, it was just another of those jarring little examples of how little they understood - really and truly understood - other people.

Nem considered Varma for a moment, and gave a small shake of the head. "I understand plenty. That's the main benefit I've found in actively looking for answers." Pointed statements were a thing they could both do, and Nem was well-versed in the art; just ask the Headsman. "But, you know, there is something you could maybe help me get my head around. If you're willing to try."
Shreya nodded her head slightly at Nem's response, though her eyebrows instinctively went up in curiosity. It may be no less true, but that wasn't exactly her point. As for what actions she was referring to? Well, there were a few she had heard about through the grapevine, but only one in particular she actually witnessed. Though she didn't feel the need to bring up the Polyjuice lesson mishap. The Slytherin could figure that one out for themselves.

Their comment about Lucien Rosier, however, did elicit a response. Such confidence for someone so young and relatively inexperienced. An admirable trait in some ways, but utterly dangerous in others. "That's quite a presumptuous statement. I'd caution against that type of self-assurance when it comes to people like Lucien Rosier. They are unpredictable. Dangerous." Though she was sure Nem knew that. It just was a point she was nagging to make. It was a tendency—one that she'd never admit out loud—that always bothered her about Slytherins. "I just don't want you to get hurt." That last part? She did mean it. As much frustration as Nemesis had caused the previous term, Shreya didn't want any of her students hurt...or ending up on the wrong side of things. And she truly believed that the Slytherin sitting in front of her had some immense talents to offer the Wizarding World. She just didn't want them to be led astray.

She was pleased, however, at their understanding. And their subsequent comment piqued her interest. "I'm open to the possibility," she replied, her eyes glinting with a hint of curiosity. "What can I help you with?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post

Endearing and those other things were all words he would insist were assigned to Aries and therefore Professor Varma was confused. It happened a lot and, in fact, Aries and him would take advantage of these moments of confusion often. It was becoming a little less fun and easy these days as teenage hormones and genes were beginning to distinguish them more. Unfortunate. They would just have to get all of their antics out of their systems before their jawlines gave them away entirely.

The smile took him by surprise a little and his cheeks heated in an incredibly non-subtle manner. "Hello...professor..." he mumbled, his forget-me-not blues shifting to the towel in his hand and then back to the Potions Mistress. "...I was wondering if we could...uh..." He really needed to give a reason and not something that was outright HEALER POPPY IS SUSPICIOUS ... but also a reason that could benefit him. He didn't want to come all the way here just to waste his time, after all. "...uh...if there was anything you could teach me about magical forensics?"
"Magical forensics, hmm..." The Gryffindor's stuttering didn't phase Shreya one bit. She was already too fascinated with his inquiry. Certainly a mature subject matter for a second year. Shreya typically waited to teach the topic of forensics during her upper-level courses. For a student of Atlas's age to even show interest was surprising. But nevertheless, it excited her. "Well, to start, there are a few branches. Some that deal directly with spell work, and some that deal more with Potions. I'm assuming you're here to talk with me about the latter?"

She made her way back to the bookshelf, her deep emerald robes flowing behind her, but she stopped before she reached for a book. Best to stop herself before she overwhelmed the poor child with too much information. "What exactly do you want to know?"