View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 11:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Chelliephone

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

DERP & DoM

Alley Proprietor
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Evan Nam
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Ece Arslan
Nesting Occamy Rentals
Anashti l Brat Pack l Sally & Dr. Finklestein

The chatter before class was rather loud today, though he couldn't say that he minded that. All of the first years excitement WAS quite helpful and a welcome break from all the remembrances of last term. They were new, hadn't been here for any of what happened thank goodness so seeing that excitement again was entirely refreshing.

Even if it also made him insanely jealous. Magic had seemed so cool when he was 11 and it was all new. He still wasn't sure.

But now... now they were talking about empathy. And Evan could make a logical guess on why this was being discussed, and while logically he knew it was not about personal situation but he still couldn't help his mind roam to where he had failed on this particular skill. Holding back a sigh, he raised his hand to offer his own response after having listened to his peers. "Pity isn't actually nice. It's like saying... 'I feel bad for you, but I'm above this happening'. Sympathy is little nicer, but like others have said it's still distanced. Sympathy is 'I'm sorry you're going through this' but without any personal attachment. Empathy is feeling sympathetic, but taking it one step further and trying to put yourself in the shoes of the person that's hurting so that you can really connect and come up with ideas on how to try to make that person feel better. Or at least let them really know they aren't alone."

At least, that was his own interpretations on the matter.

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start