View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sunflower

MO & DMT
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jocelyn Bryce
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jina Morin
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Carson Coleman
Transportation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Camilo Aguilar
Quality Quidditch Supplies

Diagon Alley Employee:
Tabatha Krauss
Janus Galloglass
Default a million years and a war later ...
books and cleverness | i like you a latte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Witch View Post
Aurora had to hand it to Carson, even though he was young, he could still look determined. Nodding she replied quietly. "You've understood correctly Carson. Your job is to support me in running this creatures department smoothly and efficiently, and to become the best head that I can be." Her first weeks as leader had been eventful to say the least with the Dragon reserve incident, and then the gala after that.

She was about to say more and assign him his first few tasks when Carson surprised her by giving her his letter of resignation after the dragon reserve fiasco, where a few students had been injured and some dragons had escaped.

Aurora sat silent for a moment, eyeing the outstretched letter for several seconds or was it minutes even before she raised her blue eyes to his face as she placed her hands in her lap, as she spoke calmly, doing her best to keep her cool. "No! No, I don't accept your letter of resignation Mr Coleman. I've just hired you to be my personal assistant, and I'm not interested in looking for a new one, when I have the distinct feeling that you're the right person for the job."

"The events at the Dragon Reserve threw you right into the line of fire which you weren't I realize now, ready to handle. I take that on me as your head and I apologize if you felt like you've failed me. You didn't fail me at all. You did the best you could with the experience and skills you have. Don't beat yourself up Carson, even the most experienced wizard can freeze when faced with the unexpected." Aurora finished off. Sheesh this came out of nowhere. They were supposed talk about picking up a baby boa at the menagerie and arranging translations with the Indian ambassador not this....
And he was back to looking down at his feet while silence stretched between them. Carson assumed that Aurora was surprised because she herself was looking for the right moment to fire him. Well, this way would be less awkward for both of them. Perhaps she was already considering which one of her other truly competent applicants she would hire as her new assistant. Or perhaps she was thinking -

- No? No??? He raised his head and stared at his boss, who ... wanted him to stay. She believed in him! The nice things she said about him were so unexpected that he had to ask himself if she really meant them. But he knew that she would never lie about something so important. She was giving him another chance, and it was his turn to speak. To make a decision. Should he persuade her that he was no good and had to resign, or should he continue working for her and try to improve? Obviously, he also had to consider his family's economic status. They needed him to earn an income and he would struggle to find a new job again quickly. Most importantly, he liked it here. Being a Ministry employee made him feel ... meaningful somehow.

"Yeah - yeah, alright." Carson shoved the letter into his pocket and tried to slow his racing heart. It was suddenly very clear that he almost lost his job and got it back in the past few minutes. What he thought was a rational decision seemed incredibly stupid in retrospect. "Thank you, Ms Bagnold. For not firing me and for everything you said. I'll continue working as your Personal Assistant and I promise to do my best. So um, what do you need me to do today? Would you like something to drink?" he asked with a smile, a notepad and self-inking quill already in hand.