View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 04:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lissy Longbottom
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
"Sure." With that, Nem let the chair fall forwards onto four legs with a slam, and, without once looking up or breaking their stride, continued plucking the orange blossoms from the plant. It was tempting to make a comment about just how quickly it had taken Recard to notice what was right in front of her, but Merlin knew people around here liked to take things the wrong way. Considering what Recard had given the detention for, Nem thought it likely she'd just end up thinking they were criticising her inability to see the Big Man for who he'd really been throughout the previous term, or doing anything about it, when that would only have been a small part of it. More of a parallel, really.

Whatever, they didn't want to go spelling it out, nor take an unnecessary risk for minimal payout. So, for a little longer, they said nothing. A few minutes, at least.

Setting aside one plant and picking up another, Nem glanced briefly up at their head of house and her work, and then back to the plants. "Can I ask why, though," they said, plucking another blossom free, and resuming the not-a-conversation-except-now-it-was like there had been no pause. "I mean about the 'no magic' thing, what's the logic there." One more petal into the mortar. "Actually, professor, I'm curious about the logic of detentions in general, too. Could you explain it for me."

The way Nem asked, one would be forgiven for thinking that the conflict in that History of Magic lesson had never even happened. Call it a skill.
When Nemesis asked their question, Gabi paused for a moment. She could tell that, unlike their previous jabs, this question seemed...sincere. More of a shadow of the curious Slytherin student she'd known the last few terms, not the defiant child they'd been the past month or so.

"Well, doing the crushing with your hands, the muggle way, as opposed to magic is harder. You're in detention and it's supposed to be difficult. Detentions are meant to be a punishment for acting out. Some people may argue it's meant to make you think about what you did wrong, or how you could have acted better..." she paused, thinking carefully about what she was going to say next.

"Quite frankly, however, I don't think you're going to benefit from any sort of lecture of why your attitude was wrong. You strike me as the student who doesn't THINK your actions were wrong - and I could sit here trying to convince you until I'm blue in the face that what you said was inappropriate, and also completely untrue. But you'll find out in time that adults don't always need to clue children in on their every inner thought or plan. Nor do they have to reason their every action with you. Right now, I think it best that I just punish you by making you spend some time with me, doing a monotonous task instead of...whatever else it is you'd be doing right now," she explained quite plainly. Gabi generally put on a smile for her students, but she also believed in being truthful when the situation called for it. And right now seemed like a pretty good moment for honesty. However, she was NOT going to be honest about the fact that trying to figure out a punishment for a child who seemed completely unbothered by EVERYTHING had been quite a chore.

"And, I would HOPE that this boring task dissuades you from acting out in my class again. You can think whatever you'd like about me, but disrupting my class and other students isn't the way to go about it," she added, crossing her arms. It was all she asked for at this point in the term. Just silence from them. She had THOUGHT that had been the original understanding, thinking back to their conversation earlier in the term. But apparently not.

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid