View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #106 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Heath had never been more glad to return to his seat! This conversation hit way too close to home for him, and he knew he wouldn’t have been able to keep his emotions in check long enough to offer a rebuttal, had it continued long enough for the professor or a student to pick apart his reasoning. He listened to Recard’s explanation without reaction, though something about it made him uncomfortable. He didn’t understand what was so gray about it. It seemed pretty black and white to him that sacrificing a child was wrong, no matter how noble the cause! He did think she made valid points about the purpose of historical debate, but he wondered if the same could’ve been accomplished through an essay or a class presentation, something that didn’t involve the bantering back and forth. Never mind, it was already done. No point in questioning it now…

He paid little mind to the argument between Recard and Upstead. Nope, nothing to add here. He didn’t care enough about the issue at hand or either of the two people involved to take a side, and besides, he needed to focus on the assignment. Design a hat? Not where he thought this was going, but he wasn’t complaining. At least he could do this part without talking. This was fine.

Blinking a few times, Heath stared at the drawing in front of him, trying to come up with a design. If he’d had this assignment last term or even earlier this one, it would’ve been easy. He would’ve given it a midnight blue background with lots of stars to represent his favorite color and his interest in astronomy, and he would’ve had an outline of the drama masks hidden among the stars to look like a constellation. If including muggle things wasn’t frowned upon, he might’ve also included a Rebel Alliance symbol for his love of all things Star Wars and some gears to represent his fascination with machinery, but now everything about that design seemed wrong!

That design represented him as he once had been, not as he was now. Now, it seemed more appropriate to paint the entire thing black like the darkness of The Room he was confined to and the darkness that consumed his heart. As fitting as that felt, he worried that it might come across as lazy, and he really did not want to be on Recard’s bad side today. Maybe he could combine elements from both of his design ideas instead.

Envisioning his concept, Heath got up to retrieve some supplies from the boxes at the front and set to work. He covered the top of the hat and the brim in midnight blue construction paper, leaving the band and the little star at the top white for now. Then he drew a comedy and a tragedy mask near the middle of the hat and outlined them in silver glitter glue to make them stand out. He placed several stars along the outline of the drama masks to make it look like a constellation, filled in the rest of the background with stars. Picking up a paintbrush, he painted the band black, and when that was done, he covered half of the hat with a thin layer of black paint, just enough to obscure the comedy mask and some of the stars but not completely hide what was underneath.

He scrutinized his work so far, but somehow it seemed lacking. He added a bit more black so it would look like the darkness was slowly creeping in to the other side of the hat. Finally done painting, he fashioned chains and a padlock out of the pipe cleaners, then glued them to the band to represent his life as a prisoner. Now only the star at the top was left pure white, representing the one part of himself that the darkness couldn’t touch. He picked up a white pipe cleaner, bending it into the shape of a snake, and covered it with glitter glue to make it look like it was made of light. Then he attached the snake to the star, coiled around it as if to protect it from the darkness.

Finally satisfied with his work, he wrote a few sentences at the bottom of the page before handing it in. What if Recard didn’t like his work? What if she thought he was giving an attitude or sarcasm? If she doubted him, she need only look at the pain reflected in his eyes to know he honestly meant every word he had written, but just in case, he didn’t want to stick around long enough to draw her ire. He slipped the page onto her desk, quickly retreating back to his seat.

SPOILER!!: Heath’s hat

The starry sky background represents my favorite color (midnight blue) and my interest in astronomy, and the drama masks constellation represents my acting ambitions. The black covering the hat represents my halfblood status and my inner darkness, both of which taint me and make me unworthy to pursue my interests. The lock and chains represent my life as a prisoner. The snake at the top protects the star, representing the good in my life that the darkness can’t touch.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...