Thread: Portfolio: a pinch of salt
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 04:31 AM   #95 (permalink)
sweetpinkpixie

Wizarding World RPG Admin
Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sage Ransom-Kruus
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaël Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12
astronomizzle ♧ gryffinDORK | & the rest is drag ♣ #badluckDerf

SPOILER!!: all the kind words ;________;
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayquilz View Post
those are BEAAAAUTIFUL OMG. KATH! *____*

Okay something that is oddly specific that not only you do well but others do well that I am having trouble with - getting a graphic of a character to look good when cutting off part of their face! I have been practicing this...and can figure it out mostly until I try to do what you did in your second signature there. Like the top of his face is gone but it looks so natural to the rest of the graphic and COHESIVE. I am always so impressed by you, Katherine! Ugh. GORGEOUS.
thank you ;_______;

It is definitely a case of trial and error and also looking at other people's work and mimicking it for practice. I tend to fall into the same pattern for how I crop with these so I want to try and experiment a bit more with tilting the original image so its not just the straight on. Sometimes you find really interesting shapes and layouts with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Oh, these graphics are goooooooorgeous. The coloring on Cathal's, in particular, makes me cry a little. In a good way! I might just try out some of those textures you're sharing, because I'm always looking for a new and good one.
I've got PLENTY and deviantart is a really great place to get some from. Will keep sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
SPOILER!!: catching up and putting it in here so I can pretend I have chill
the amount of times I have come in here to comment on things and been derailed or realised I didn't have the time I wanted to put into perusing, I swear

FRIEND. there's so much here to comment on and, fool that I am, I feel like I could hit character limit if I tried to get into all of it so uh.

first off, I really love your manips. we've discussed this, manip woes and joys, but I can't remember whether or not I've expressly said in so many words that I LOVE what you can put together. such skill. such eye. such......... layer masking or whateVER. the Jaecar and Noemi one has me particularly emo but also particularly in awe, it's amazing.

I'm finding such joy in following your continued journeys thru traditional art (and your love of those markers lmao). for your thumbs up piece, you spoke to my soul by doing a spider but not a regular (scarier) spider and in my fav colour combo. That tarantula could easily be an illustration in a book. ok? ok.

so. SO. sooooooooooo. I don't think it's a secret to you that I could stare at your graphics for hours and not get bored lmao they're so beautiful and vibrant. The way you deal with contrast and colour and light, not to mention the pain that is choosing fonts and placing text. Your work is so good I think I might hate you a little bit. no, no, I don't. yes I do

Those Cathal graphics are BEAUTIFUL wow I just had 2 highlight them. look at the little sunspot ;-;

and and and aND I'm still yelling at you for these Darius graphics lmao. more beauty, in face and in graphic skill. people are loud. people have comments.

you see what your nonsense has wrought.

thank you for the shout out tho I'm still very proud of that line
Why are you the way you are? *knows why but still WHY?!*

so

THANK YOU

AND I AM VERY FOND OF MY NONSENSE SO YOU'RE WELCOME

Flamsteed Twins

click for larger view

inspiration SSRPG characters Atlas Flamsteed (sweetpinkpixie) and Aries Flamsteed (Samia)
materials Ohuhu brush tip markers

I recently ordered two new sets (pastel and skin tones) of Ohuhu markers and I have been itching to draw more. So, today, I finally found some time to just sit and unplug with an audiobook and drew. For a while now I have been wanting to draw some chibi style characters again and I've also been wanting to try and take pages from Jay and Ern and MJ's books with drawing characters...thus I took a stab at drawing my current school RPG character and his twin brother. The line art phase was a mess (see below) and I am really pleasantly surprised with how it came out in the end - finding the right lighting to take a photo was hard and it still doesn't show the colors right (I tried twice in different locations by the window but dslfjlskdfljs). The pastel Ohuhu's really layer nicely and are what I used on their hair, eyes, and for a base on the robes before layering over them with my original 48 pack. The skin tones were fun to play with (I used YR212 milk white and YR20 for their skin with R080 pale cherry pink for the blush on the cheeks) and I am REALLY looking forward to trying out darker skin tones soon.

So, Atlas has his Pluto plushie (Toby) and Aries has an infamous large sandwich made popular by Hogwarts Mystery I've learned from previous robe doodles and attempts at shading to start LIGHT and casually build up darker...and that the black and darkest great will just never blend well so do not try...so I am pretty pleased with how the clothing (another bane of existence along with hands) came out

SPOILER!!: progression from line art to coloring

EDIT // the white space was killing me...so I added a bit more so it turned into a proper character spread of sorts

click for larger view

When youre stuck in a moment and your spark has been stolen .................................................. ...........
this is our time to own it, so own it.....................................
baby we were born with fire and gold in our eyes

Last edited by sweetpinkpixie; 01-25-2021 at 10:28 AM.
sweetpinkpixie is offline   Reply With Quote