View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Krel Ansell

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1
*randomly tagged* | Norbert(a) | The Wandmaker (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
Jane was a bit taken aback by all this. She really felt she hardly knew this man and yet he seemed to be trusting her to answer his questions--and odd questions, at that. Yes, she had felt a momentary shock when he began asking about her Department, because any discussion of the Dept. of Mysteries to anyone outside it was a big no-no. Then again--what did he mean by odd happenings and personnel, anyway? The question was so vague, she was not sure how to answer it.

Still--these questions would seem to indicate that there were peculiar things going on elsewhere in the Ministry, and not just with her Department, and that was a matter for concern. Look at how he was fiddling with his badge! The man was nervous, no doubt about it. And he immediately stopped and tried to act as if he hadn't been doing it when she noticed it.

So--what to say, and how much to say, that was the question. Jane had no wish to violate her promises as an Unspeakable, but she felt increasingly worried that something was wrong, though what she couldn't put her finger on.

"Um...I'm not quite sure what you mean by odd things, personnel-wise, exactly. As an alchemist, I generally work alone, you understand. But...I have noticed some people behaving...unlike themselves at times. It may be stress, of course, but still..." Jane didn't want to go into detail without more to go on, and wasn't sure she should have mentioned anything at all. Because by some people, she of course meant Airey Flamsteed.
Ah yes, Sachin really was quite perceptive. She had noticed the badge and was being very guarded with her words. He didn't think that was just because of her Unspeakable contract or because they hardly knew each other. Jane was bright and observant. That was good. Very good. "I don't think it's just stress, Ms. Howard. I'm sure you heard the Minister's recent broadcast. Clearly your department isn't the only one with people exhibiting signs of unusual behavior."

He cleared his throat. It had been a long time since he'd had to sneak around like this and talk in code and he was clearly out of practice. Why Fletcher had thought he was the person to recruit someone from Nine was beyond him. He rarely had time to do anything but deal with the issues on Level Five for crying out loud and didn't know many people. "I would really like to get to know you better." Not in the romantic sense. Dear Merlin, please don't take it that way. "What do you say to a semi-regular tea meeting. No business...of course. I wouldn't want you to break any Ministry rules. But I would certainly be interested in your point of view on things."