View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 11:52 PM   #107 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default *catches up*
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

SPOILER!!: both questions & mini activity
Heath immediately caught Claudine’s mouthed greeting and returned it with a nod. It would have been a smile, had it not been for the hooded figures’ presence. He didn’t trust those guys for a second! Forcing his fear and suspicion aside, he tried to focus on Professor Kitridge as he asked the first question. Okay, so… form of divination that involves rocks. He supposed he should’ve seen that question coming! He thought for a few moments. Wasn’t there a type of divination that involved geologic formations? Topomancy… or something. That might involve rocks, as they were technically a geologic formation. Then there was aichmomancy, the study of sharp objects. Maybe some of the rocks were sharp enough for that purpose. Probably not.

He heard a few of his classmates mention lithomancy, so it was probably that. He had no idea! He was a bit too distracted by the hooded guys hexing a first year! And… did they just vanish the trapdoor? Anger boiled inside him, but his face remained as stoic as ever. He wasn’t about to make himself the hooded goons’ next target, and besides, Professor Kitridge was already giving them an earful. See, this was why she was one of his favorite professors!

All Heath could do was watch the exchange, unsure whether to feel grateful to Professor Kitridge or worried for her. He tried to block out his thoughts and focus on the activity, but it was difficult when he half expected the hooded guys to torture or (Merlin forbid) kill the professor at any moment. Don’t think about the hoods; think about the rocks, he reminded himself. His dark eyes scanned the rocks on the table in front of him and were immediately drawn to a white diamond-shaped one that kind of looked like a kyber crystal. Oh, he was definitely claiming that one!

The second rock to catch his eye was a flat one, black with a lighter gray swirl pattern. Then there was a small green one with little red flecks and a bigger square one with stripes in varying shades of brown. The last rock was a big gray one, nothing particularly interesting about the color, but it was a weird craggy shape. Once he’d selected his five rocks, he picked up his quill and wrote his initials “HEJ” on each one. He looked up, turning his attention back to the professor as she asked the next question.

Omens… signs of things to come, as his classmates has already said, but there was more to it than that. Heath tended to think of them as a warning more than anything else. That was the only reason he personally would want to know an omen. If he had some idea what was coming, he could plan ahead for it… help a good omen come true or try to stop a bad one. Was that the sort of answer Professor Kitridge was looking for? Feeling not at all confident in his answer, he stayed quiet.

Heath listened closely as Professor Kitridge explained omens, intrigued and somewhat surprised to learn that his thoughts on the last question hadn’t been too far off. He didn’t understand the part about bad omens happening if you focus on them, though. Wouldn’t moving your path in the way you want it to go take it away from the bad thing happening? Gah, he was confused! Maybe he’d ask Professor Kitridge for more information later. For now, he needed to focus on the next activity.
He picked up the nearest of his rocks, the white diamond-shaped one.As he’d expected judging by its size, it was light. Setting that one aside, he lifted the black and gray swirly one. Hmm… that was a lot heavier than he thought it would be. The green and red rock was next, and it, like the first rock, was light. The brown striped one, on the other hand, was not. Now only the big craggy rock was left. Heath had a feeling just by looking at that it was going to be heavy, and when he picked it up, he was proved correct. No surprises there, he thought.

So, two light rocks and three heavy ones. That meant… a bad omen. Heath had to fight the urge to roll his eyes. What a useless prediction! Of course something bad was going to happen! The hooded figures’ presence was evidence enough of that. But what was the bad thing that was about to happen? As he searched for an interpretation, a dark thought crept into the forefront of his mind… the same one he’d been trying to repress since the Feast. Now he had a pretty strong suspicion what that omen meant. He just hoped he was wrong!

Taking out a piece of parchment, he recorded his findings:

Quote:
Rock 1 (white diamond-shaped): Light
Rock 2 (black & gray swirly patttern): Heavy
Rock 3 (green with red flecks): Light
Rock 4 (brown striped pattern): Heavy
Rock 5 (gray craggy shape): Heavy

I think this omen means someone I love is in imminent danger. I don’t know what I can do to stop it other than continue down the path I’m on. I’ll try my best to stay out of trouble and not give anyone a reason to want to use others to hurt me, and hopefully that will be enough to keep them safe.
That was all he could think to do, other than to offer himself up in exchange for his loved ones if the time came, and there was no way in Hoth that he was writing that down! There were some here who might see that and panic, others who might view it as a challenge. Either way, too many prying eyes to take that chance, so he had to be satisfied with what he already wrote.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...