View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 03:19 AM   #95 (permalink)
NiallNIP

DERP
Ravenclaw
Imp

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Quinn Kingsley
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kittredge Flannigan
Post Oh jeez I wrote a book..... I hope it's an entertaining one at least
The Gay Agenda™< >Homiesexual uwu

Quinn did as Professor Kitridge said, lifting each rock individually to see how they stacked up. Quinn wasn't sure how he felt about this type of reading, though—it was fairly subjective, wasn't it? One would think that there would be an exact weight where one could say this rock is heavy while this one is light, but if it's up to the diviner, well, then it could be swayed. Some of the rocks must be toeing the line between light and heavy, and those would ultimately be left to a judgement call and could be inaccurate, right? And it could be influenced by bias of how the diviner is feeling or the outcome they want. With these thoughts in mind, Quinn tried his best to be objective with his reading.

Quinn started with the ones he knew to be the easiest. First, he lifted the oblong rock with a hole, and he knew that this one would be considered heavy. Quinn marked down on his parchment:

Quote:
Rock 1: Heavy
Then, he lifted the brittle blueish gray rock. This one was definitely light.

Quote:
Rock 2: Light
Out of the remaining rocks, Quinn chose next the rounded rock with the purple stripe. He considered it in his hand, throwing it around slightly. He decided that this one was heavy.

Quote:
Rock 3: Heavy
Now he figured was the time for his pyramid rock. It reminded him of the Great Pyramids, somewhere he wanted to visit one day. But there weren't any plants in the desert. Except cacti. His face scrunched at the thought. Prickly.

Quote:
Rock 4: Light
It all came down to this. The swing vote. The rock rock. Cautiously, Quinn lifted the rock. This one took the longest for him to consider. It was as he'd feared. The gears in his head jammed. He raised and lowered the rock. He threw it a bit in the air and caught it. He threw it between his hands.

Quinn couldn't tell if this one was light or heavy.

Now was the time for internal turmoil. He was having a hard time objectively saying if this one was heavy or light. If he could know what this rock was made out of and the natural density of said material, it might make it a whole lot easier. But he didn't have that information. It was completely up to his judgement. Quinn thought, and thought again, and doubled back on his thoughts, and doubled back on the doubled back thoughts, and then rethought. He didn't want to be biased, but he couldn't very well point out his own bias, though he figured he would be biased towards light since it was the better option? So should he put heavy since he was probably biased towards light? But what if the rock was actually considered light? He couldn't very well get a second opinion with this being independent work. And he didn't want to ask the Professor—that would be embarrassing. So what was he to do?

Quote:
Rock 5: Neither
Well, that wouldn't do, would it? He couldn't very well have a tie, that was the point of having the odd number. And a neutral omen didn't sound like it existed. Then, Quinn had an idea for how to determine the weight.

He would drop the rock on his foot.

If it hurt, then the rock was probably heavy. If it didn't hurt, or at least not much, the rock was probably light. That sounded fair, right?

As inconspicuously as he could, Quinn held the rock under the table over his foot. He dropped the rock, and it thudded onto his foot, and then clattered onto the floor.

And Quinn could decisively say, this rock was heavy.

Quinn winced from the pain, but didn't make much noise. There would probably be a bruise later, but it was fine, he could deal with it. Quinn muttered small apologies for the noise as we went under the table to pick up his rock.

Quote:
Rock 5: Neither Heavy

The bad omen of these rocks could definitely have been for the fact that I would be hurt by dropping one on my foot, since I technically had my reading by the time I did so. If it wasn't for that, then I suspect it might be that I'm going to have trouble in Defense Against the Dark Arts again. I could improve my future by not dropping rocks on my foot or by studying harder for Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Quinn decided that Zygomancy wasn't his preferred form of divination.

Last edited by NiallNIP; 01-10-2021 at 04:38 AM.