View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lissy Longbottom
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod
Deputy Headmistress

DMGS & DMAC

Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gabriela Recard
Graduated

Student Character:
Adam S. Luck
Third Year
Gryffindor

Ministry RPG Name:
Javier Hernandez
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
Curly Haired Prefect || Rebel Scum | | Let's keep things Loki || Neville Fan Mädchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
It definitely only takes 30 days to write a book, especially if you play by the Nanowrimo rules.

In all seriousness, I think part of what takes so long is the publishing process? Isn't it a bit like trying to *make it* in the recording industry? You have to successfully sell yourself/your work to someone who believes they can make a profit off it. I feel like it's hard to break into the publishing world without an agent or connections or what have you.

I don't have much insight into that industry, but even the best-selling books of the 20th century (read: HP) were rejected more than a few times before finally being published.
Definitely this. The WRITING part wasn't all that hard - I finished my current manuscript during NaNo. However, that was just a first draft. I have gone back and probably added at least 10k words of extra content and I'm still not done. I've been editing it for....8 years now I think? Granted I haven't spent ALL that time working on it but I've stopped to write other things, edit other projects, etc.

Once that's done I'll have to start the long process of finding an agent, writing up pitches for various companies, etc until I get published. It's a long long LONG road, but again that may have been a bit faster if I didn't have a full time job, school, AND a zillion other projects I want to work on at the same time

HOWEVER from what my research has shown me, SOMEONE out there is going to bite at your book - there are SO many agents and publishers out there these days that eventually someone is going to back your project. I have literally three different books of listings for agents and publishing companies and there are SO many niche companies out there. Will it be the next New York Times Best Seller? Prooooobably not. BUT if getting your novel actually published so you can buy it at Barnes and Noble is your goal, it's much easier than trying to break onto the scene in Hollywood, if we wanna compare it to that But yes, you will probably also get rejected a handful of times until you find the one that works.