Thread: Street Vendors
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #138 (permalink)
NiallNIP

DERP
Ravenclaw
Imp

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Quinn Kingsley
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kittredge Flannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
The dilemma of the fizzing popcorn now going flat, Atlas was entirely more interested in hearing what Quinn had to say about the newly formulated curiosity that was the aversion to Sugarplums. Which, with much irony, Atlas found he could relate. He had no real baseline to be able to tell when Quinn was and was not speaking the truth anyway. Mom had always been a bit of a health enthusiast and dad's idea of a snack tended to veer towards muggle's version of astronaut ice cream...which was a terrible consistency and chalky. Atlas had never quite understood his dad's obsession with it, though he had taken quite the liking to Dip 'n' Dots. "...but your mom isn't here right now, is she?" Which likely told Quinn A LOT about how Atlas viewed rules and parental guidelines. "My mom is the same, by the way."

The mention of the Zodiac made him smile a little. It was a touchy subject with his dad too and something that he and Aries took advantage of entirely. Astronomy versus astrology, absolutely drove the man into the stratosphere. Or...it used to. Dad was...different now. "Technically speaking, Aries and I ... Andromeda too ... were also named because our parents liked the name too." Isn't sure why he felt the need to point that out but he did. Quickly too. He was nodding in response to the suggestion to pass on the wisdom from his dad about the stars and nodded a bit more at the mention of Hogwarts. "I will. Myself and Aries are starting our first year this school term. We came to the Alley today to pick up some final school stuff." He paused a moment to give Quinn a brief scrutinizing sort of glance. The other boy looked to be the same age as himself...so it seemed a pretty logical conclusion to come to. "...you too?"

Atlas patted his pockets again for his coins and checked the way their shadows cast and clung to the cobbled stones beneath their feet. Was it really getting close to that time already?

"You're not rambling," he replied with a small shrug of the shoulders and an almost impish kind of smile. "At least not to me you're not. Though even if you were it wouldn't bother me." Feeling a piece of spare parchment, a bit of overly folded origami that had at one point been a bug. Considering the paper was red, he supposed it had been intended to be a ladybug. His blue eyes shifted back to their shadows and he gave a heavy sort of sigh. "I've got to start heading back towards The Magical Menagerie soon...but...here..." And then from his pocket he pulled a pen and wrote his name, Atlas Flamsteed, on one of the wings and handed it over to Quinn. "The owls at the Owl Post know our home well enough so if you send a letter through their services it will find me."
"Ah, well..." Quinn wasn't sure what to say in response to that. "Yes, she's off shopping, so I guess I could have gone in, but... i-if I had shown back up with candy or obviously having eaten some, it wouldn't have gone over well." Quinn breathed a small sigh of relief, thinking he'd done a pretty fine job of covering his tracks. He'd just have to remember that he said he wasn't supposed to have sweets around Atlas. Forever. "It sucks, but I guess they just want the best for us."

Quinn blushed a bit at Atlas's comment on the names. Obviously his parents liked the names, or else they wouldn't have picked them, Quinn, he thought.

Quinn nodded. "Yeah, I'm going to be a first year as well. I've pretty much gotten everything I needed. My mom just wanted to come shop with my aunt today and I decided to come along. Anyway, I'm glad to already know someone in my grade going in, it'll make things easier." He smiled, genuinely happy with this development.

Quinn smiled more when Atlas said he didn't mind the rambling. People tended to mind the rambling. He took the paper from Atlas, not exactly sure what it was supposed to be, but knowing it was folded nicely. Perhaps Quinn could ask him about it sometime. He read the name on the paper in his head. Atlas Flamsteed. Had a nice ring to it. "I think I just might take you up on that. Well, Mr. Flamsteed, I don't want to keep you, so it was good meeting you. I'll see you later!" Quinn, forgetting that he hadn't been a fan of his popcorn, popped one on his mouth as he went to walk away. Being more unprepared for the fizz than last time, he made an Ech! sound and spit out the popcorn. "Ah, jeez, not again..!" Quinn hurried away before Atlas could say anything about the embarrassing ordeal.