View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
ArianaBlack
Admin
Assistant Forum Manager
Quibbler & Newbie Mod

DMLE & DMT
Ashwinder

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alfie Adair
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Laini Gracae-Ryans
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tomasz Łaska
Law Enforcement
x10 x1
Default thank you for your patience, friends
doesn't proofread tweets | #wrongaboutcereal | #siriusly? | emo to the extremo

SPOILER!!: more like round 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post

Awkward Schmoe was laughing awkwardly, nothing new to see here. He could just TAKE the compliment though, and like write home to his sis and tell her the students at Hogwarts found her beautiful. Bernie would help him phrase it right, if he needed the help.

"So why do you keep a picture of your sister on your desk?" Bernie continued the question~session, tilting her head down from staring at the ceiling to staring at him. "Even though we work together, and all, Professor, I realised I never even asked if you have a brother? Or another sister?" She N E E D E D to K N O W these things in case she had to explain more of Schmoe's Schmoetimes to her classmates, which she already did out of the kindness of her heart. "I also forgot to ask," on one of her many other visits here, "Do you have any pets? Do you live at the castle, even when it's summatime?"

That brought her around to his answer about sleeping in a bed. HA. Bernie let out a half-amused snort. She didn't even mention Baby!Finneas again, she was so interested in this new line of questioning. "No, I meant, like, do professors sleep HERE?" She pointed to where she was sitting, and then thought that was weird, and hurriedly pointed to the beanbag next to her instead. "Do you sleep in your offices? Or do you guys have secret living quarters? Like how the Headmaster has a hidey office behind a gargoyle, and Professor Fuller actually lives out on the grounds instead of indoors like a normal person? I'm guessing he likes camping????" Why DID he live outside? He taught Charms, couldn't he charm himself something better than a hut?

That wasn't Schmoe's business though. He was in charge of paying her. AND he hadn't even noticed any errors in her addition, so she was quite proud. "Oh, is that so?" Bernie tilted her head at him some more, looking this way, then that way, then squinting at him as though she didn't believe him. "I'm sure we have a verbal agreement that I should be compensated for helping you. At first I thought, why not just take house points? But I'm getting older, y'see sir, and house points are just kinda imaginary. The RUBIES that go in the hourglass, now those are worth something, and I need some pocket change for weekends at Hogsmeade and my books and stuff." Stuff, like, makeup products and grow-your-own-mustache kits. If Bernie were compensated for all this time she spent questioning Schmoe, she might even be able to buy TWO mustache kits, and then she could give HIM one!!!

She widened her eyes some, trying her best to look like one of the glassy-eyed babies from last year: innocent, vulnerable, and really in need of Schmoe's help. Pweez. "Please, sir, I want some more...." she really had been reading her Victorian novels, hadn't she? "....validation. I need to feel valued for my work here at Hogwarts. Volunteerism is unfortunately not rewarded per society's values, whether that society is Muggle or magical in nature." See how prepared she'd come?????????!

If he said no again, Bernie had a REALLY good kicked-cruppy look. (It had probably even worked on the Headmaster before.) And tears! Oh! Bernie couldn't forget the tears. She sniffed a few times, just like John Oliver Twist, or whatever the orphan's name was in her book, to start workin' up those crocodile tears.

Er…………….. Was now the time to tell the truth? Because his palms were getting sweatier than usual and his stomach was aching in that way that typically only happened after he ate cheese. He coughed twice, blinked thrice, and then cleared his throat and swelled some phlegm. Ahem. ”That’s Alina, she is my partner,” he felt VERY uncomfortable now and was ultimately grateful for the influx of questions that he could fall back on. ”I have two brothers, yes…. No pets though, er, I was thinking about adopting a cat?” He blinked a few times. Live at the castle during the summertime? ”Er…….. No.” To put it simply. These were all very personal questions? Why?

”Ah,” okay yes, Finneas understood the question now. Not that he wanted to talk about his sleeping arrangements. This was a strange thing to talk about with anyone, especially a student. Especially Bernadette. ”I don’t, er, think there would be enough room to fit a bed in here. Heh heh." He chuckled his Schmoe chuckle. ”I have my own room, and errrr… Professor Fuller-Thompson might like camping, yes. You should, uh, asking him about it. He’d love to chat with you, I’m sure.” Was he trying to get rid of her? Not exactly. But y’know, she could share some of the love maybe and not ask Schmoe ALL the questions. Might be nice to diversify.

All of this head tilting and squinting and scrutinizing made Finneas break a sweat. He did not like this. He did not like this one bit. He did stay quiet though, and let Bernadette explain. He was always impressed by her ability to bargain and her preparation was to be commended. But uh. He couldn’t pay her! He was on a teacher’s salary! And aLSO??? This wasn’t a real job! ”I see.”

He looked down, making a great show of THINKING. "You're right." Thinking is something he did best anyway and he really was thinking about how to respond, so it wasn’t like he had to act at all. This was all natural. Especially the nerves, that was the most natural part of this entire conversation. ”You do deserve to be compensated for your hard work, yes,” he nodded in agreement. ”And I can errr understand the desire to be validated…” He looked down and THOUGHT some more, before looking up at her. ”Unfortunately, I am unable to provide you with the salary you deserve. So errr… Though I do not want to, I must let you go.” Yes. Excellent. wo fwoopers one stone. Nailed it.

SPOILER!!: he's such a jellybean
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledhampir View Post
Alexandre wiggled a little bit in the bean bag chair. Okay, it was a little fun.

Alexandre thought about Schmoe's question for a bit. "Um, no, not really." There weren't any of his classes that he particularly liked in a way that made him think he would want to keep working with it. It was just class, you know? There were a few he liked less than the others, but none he particularly liked more. As for the second question..something he liked to do for free? He wasn't sure how that would help really but he could answer. "Um, I like playing games. Like make believe." Was he too old for that? Well, he was sure Schmoe wouldn't make fun of him for it. He wasn't exactly... proper. "I like being outside and doing...whatever, really. Swimming, climbing, looking at bugs and stuff." The bug thing he didn't really do anymore but when he was younger he liked to scoop them up and keep them in cups of dirt. He remembered a time a few years ago when he had caught a cricket and kept it under his bed in his dorm. "I like spending time with my sisters. My little sister is a first year this year and I like helping her with her homework more than I like doing my own."

Finneas listened very intently as the young Ravenclaw explained. Not having a particular interest in any specific class would make this slightly more difficult and though Finneas was nervous, he was also keen to help. SO. Er. They’d figure it out together, hopefully. It was just about asking the right questions… Hopefully. ”Make believe,” he repeated before thinking for a long while. ”Well that is good news, Mr. Pascal! Make believe is all about creativity and the ability to bring ideas to life. All very important for many occupations.” Finneas was thinking out loud here. He was also thinking about this last thing that Alexandre said too. ”Have you considered tutoring your other classmates? Teaching could always be a possibility! I am slightly biased here, but if you would like to know more about the field…” Finneas wiggled his eyebrows a little. Just a bit.

AnYwAy. "In any case, Mr. Pascal. Rest assured, most people do not know exactly what they want to do after graduation. And the ones who do will likely find themselves changing course along the way." He hoped this could be a little reassuring. He paused for a moment, reaching into one of the drawers in his desk and shuffled some things around before pulling out a document he had just for moments like these! "Something you may find useful is to identify what values are most important to you. A smart young mind like yours can find success in any field, but errrr finding a fulfilling path takes self-reflection. If you can identify what values you hold in high regard, it will become much err easier to identify whether a certain field will be able to fulfill those needs." He slid the list across the table. "Take a look at this, see if any of these values jump out at you more than the rest. It errr... May be helpful to identify three or ... five that are most important to you."

You are Lemon!