View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 01:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
BanaBatGirl
Dark Force Defense League

MLE & DoM
Banshee

Hogwarts RPG Name:
TBD
Gryffindor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Zara H. Bunbury-Foster
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
David O. Truebridge
Mysteries
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Dumbledore's Defense Squad | BHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
The 177th annual hunger games made me giggle more than I should.

I too struggled to connect with her. It made reading her chapters so hard. She was wishy washy to me. On one hand she would be all let’s be brave and then on the other she was like I can’t do anything because I’m so afraid.

But it didn’t seem like she was all that close to her brother to go through life or death. But maybe it’s developed more. I’m curious to know a bit more about the iron smith. He intrigued me.
hehe.

I will say that she gets better. I've read the second book and have started on the third, and Laia definitely grows on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natekka View Post
AHH. So much discussion, I love it!

I've been popping my head in and out over the past few days and I'm really enjoying hearing all of your thoughts on the book and the characters. It's interesting how some opinions differ from my own and some are very similar.

Unlike several of you, I actually really like both Helene and Laia. This might be because I've read the second book as well and there is (as you would hope) character development in that book. Helene is a character that I think has a lot of potential tbh. That being said, I think Ern hit the nail on the head and I feel the same way as she does about Laia in this book.

There has also been talk of shipping, so I'm curious. Which pairing(s) do you think like best and would want to see developed more in the next book?

There are many more character-related questions I want to pose but first I would love for us to dive into visuals and theme a bit more.

As some of you pointed out, there are many visual aspects to this world - Blackcliff Academy and the Masks, for example. We aren't told that much about HOW the masks work and what - aside from signifying rank - their purpose is. What are your thoughts on what the masks look like? And how do you picture Blackcliff? Sabaa Tahir based it on Ancient Rome but, personally, I quite like Ern's description of Dark Hogwarts without the magic.

Finally, what do you think is the significance of the book's title, An Ember in the Ashes?

BONUS EXTRA THING FOR MUSIC LOVERS:

Sabaa Tahir actually created playlists for many of the characters, which I thought you might be interested in listening to. If anybody has any favourites from these playlists, I would love to know. Clicky clicky. There are specific playlists for Elias, Laia and Helene, if you want to skip straight to those.
So I read the second book and I dunno, I still don't really like Helene.

She DOES have some redeeming qualities, but anyone who is super loyal to the Empire just irks me. I feel like I know more of the masks now, though, and they also grow on you some...

Elias is still my favorite.

yeah, there's one thing about me that you should know________________________________

__________________________________________that I can't help from speaking my mind
BanaBatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote